Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
I recently stayed in 2 different KOA's while traveling from Texas to MI. 2004 Winnebago 33 ft. Looks good but was never asked. Don't know how I would react.
If they can see it and it is in good repair I doubt you'll ever be challenged, regardless of age. This "rule" simply gives them an excuse to exclude the rolling tribute to duct tape and bailing wire (we've all seen them).
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #86

A Campground I regularly frequent in Maine has the 10 year rule for seasonal sites, but have never said anything to me when I come up for a weekend or so. I believe their policy is pretty well enforced, unless you have a camper that met the requirements for seasonal sites, and you have been there for a couple years, and then your camper goes over the 10.

Again, I have not had a problem, as I do not ask for a seasonal site.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No matter the age, if it looks like a rolling wreck you can be sure it reflects the owners attitudes !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I just pulled my 1984 Avion 30p, from Texas to Montana. Never once was I refused a site. It was always listed as a 1984 trailer. We where 4 nights on the road in a Camp Ground.
gpscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #89

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Interesting thread.
We own a 1989 HR Imperial, and have mainly camped up and down the east coast as far north as Maryland, and east into Tennessee, but are wanting to plan a trip to Texas and possibly the South West in the future. We have never been refused a site, and actually before this thread I had never heard of the 10 year rule. I have however pulled into spots where I felt a little "under dressed" as it may be. Now, I must add here giving tribute to earlier postings that my coach isn't a typical example of it's vintage being a very pampered and clean example (as luck would have it), and it's sanitary presentation may be why I haven't been handed any grief, but I have never been asked upfront while booking the year of production. This could be the locations we frequent also as they tend to reflect my watering holes....dark and seedy!
There is one camp ground we are going to looking into for next year that I feel may be my first denial. The Class A only Hilton Head, SC resort RV park. They sell their lots as well as rent, and I suspect I will receive my first dose of campsite served humble pie there.
I don't really blame them, especially at the resorts that sell lots These places tend to take on a "property value" mentality that goes along with any homeowner's association. I don't agree with it as its judging a book by its cover and flies in the face of everything that most people get into RVing for in the first place which is adventure and camaraderie, but hey....its their place and at the end of the day...their rules.

I guess I got a little off track here, my question is this: Do you find the 10 year rule to be primarily at locales that sell deeded lots, tout "resort" status, or just as a general rule to deter what they see as the "riff raf"? I've camped near folks with campers from 60's model Airstreams to new luxury diesels and most have been the genuine people I call friends. I've also camped near a gamut of production models and regretted it due to the personalities of the owners, not the condition or vintage of their campers. I have to say that playing the odds....the folks I tend to avoid drive the newer incredibly expensive luxury coaches for the same reasons I do not attend gala affairs or wine tastings.
Well, many happy miles!
Tim, Cathy, and Trevor.....The Smiths!
RamblinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #90

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
No matter the age, if it looks like a rolling wreck you can be sure it reflects the owners attitudes !
So what you are saying is If a person owns a Rv that looks bad then he or she is scum of the earth and shouldn't be allowed to travel the same roads as you ?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #91
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post

interesting how consistent and accurate it is. how the outside is depicts what on the inside.

just carries through in all aspects of life.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:00 AM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by planojeeper View Post
So what you are saying is If a person owns a Rv that looks bad then he or she is scum of the earth and shouldn't be allowed to travel the same roads as you ?

planojeeper, That's a bit extreme ! Let me put into an easier example, if you go into a restaurant and the place is dirty and the restrooms are filthy, would you eat there ? Wouldn't you be concerned that the food prep area might not be clean as well ?
Old 07-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #93

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes it was a bit extreme but my motor home is a little unsightly and when you wrote what you wrote it was like you were kicking me in the you know what! Maybe you should rephrase. I don't drive a restaurant to the camp grounds I drive an old RV that needs some work. This is my first rv and Im working on making it better but I also want to use it in the mean time. Im sorry if it offends you!
Old 07-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #94

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why not make a sign to stake in front of your vintage coach that says:

This is my first rv and Im working on making it better but I also want to use it in the mean time. Im sorry if it offends you!

That should elicit some smiles & perhaps some friendly conversation. 😌

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Yes it was a bit extreme but my motor home is a little unsightly and when you wrote what you wrote it was like you were kicking me in the you know what! Maybe you should rephrase. I don't drive a restaurant to the camp grounds I drive an old RV that needs some work. This is my first rv and Im working on making it better but I also want to use it in the mean time. Im sorry if it offends you!

Planojeeper
Stay calm my friend, I am not offended by anything you do. Don't be so sensitive. Next time I see a Beater I will come over and say Howdy and buy you a beer !
"Stay thirsty my friend"
Old 07-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #96

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its ok Chuck I was just pointing out not to judge people by what they drive. Yes I own a beater RV but Im an honest hard working man. Come by my camp and I will drink that beer with you and probably throw some steaks on the grill. Then we can talk about what color to paint the rv.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:46 PM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Its ok Chuck I was just pointing out not to judge people by what they drive. Yes I own a beater RV but Im an honest hard working man. Come by my camp and I will drink that beer with you and probably throw some steaks on the grill. Then we can talk about what color to paint the rv.

Love it ! Would that be great ! Boy could we get it cranked up !
Old 09-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #98

I just have to respond to this: We have a totally restored 30 year old and updated 23' motor home and am curious to see if we get turned away.
Part of our renovations on our motor home was to go 90% electric. The only propane appliance we have still is the stove/oven, which we do not use but kept as a backup.
In this configuration we have the motor home is in now is safer than some of the off-the-lot newer rigs. We chose to not boon dock with it.
What I find interesting about this subject is that we've seen plenty of newer rigs, both large and small, that had fires, usually based around the refrigerators or furnaces that are not maintenanced as they should be.
Our rig is far from an eyesore. In fact, it attracts attention as other Rv'ers are thrilled to see the motor home of their childhoods (yes! this happened!) or from years past.
We bring our laptop with us when we travel and are able to plan along the way where the next stop will be. This serves us well and if we were to come up with a park that had restrictions, we would contact them in advance to see if we would be permitted to camp or avoid them. I believe, in all fairness, the park managers/owners should consider the rigs on a rig-by-rig basis. We fully understand why they would be careful-absolutely. But, not all older rigs are trashed, obsolete, unsightly or dangerous. Ours isn't.
Again, we understand how this could happen. But, we are not part of the crowd who may have created this.
Bowtie621 is offline   Reply With Quote