Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
No matter the age, if it looks like a rolling wreck you can be sure it reflects the owners attitudes !
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
interesting how consistent and accurate it is. how the outside is depicts what on the inside.

just carries through in all aspects of life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
planojeeper, That's a bit extreme ! Let me put into an easier example, if you go into a restaurant and the place is dirty and the restrooms are filthy, would you eat there ? Wouldn't you be concerned that the food prep area might not be clean as well ?
Wow!

So, it seems clear, (because you guys said it) that if people have different values than you, they are not to be allowed, and are less than you.

The restaurant analogy is a straw man. If I camp next to you, it is not nearly the same as my trying to sell you something from that camper. If my camper is old and not up to your standards, and I try to sell you an alternator, then it may be reasonable to consider that it may be high or low quality as the camper.

BUT, THat has nothing to do with whether I should be allowed to camp next to you or not. In the restaurant analogy, you decided if you would buy food there, based on what you saw. That is fine. YOU decide what YOU will do.

In the old camper analogy, YOU decide what OTHER PEOPLE are allowed to do, based on what you saw. That is very different.

Now, it also seems clear that you have never seen a diamond in the rough.

It also seems clear that you feel that people who cannot afford what you can afford aught not be allowed to do the things you do.

I happen to own a 1988 Fleetwood Southwind. It is pretty clean now, and getting better all the time, as I bought it last year and am rebuilding it. I know it will never look like a new $100,000.00 motor home, and I have no real desire to own one of those. I like old, and while I also like new, I do not have the lifestyle that includes some of the maintenance and service required for a new MH. I play hard, and like my toys tougher than some of the new stuff I have seen. (I am a pretty good mechanic, considering I make my living as an electromechanical Engineer.)

All this said, I may not choose to keep my MH exterior as clean as someone else. I may not have the value on the new curtains as someone else. I base my MH needs on the desires of myself, my wife and family, and then run it thru the 'what I can afford' filter, and the result is what I own.

I have really enjoyed this forum, but this thread has gotten a bit too elitist for my taste.

For the record, I try not to presume the value of person by my first glimpse of what they are driving. I try not to presume the value of a person by appearances alone.

I also do not consider it their responsibility to post a sign, excusing their appearance to me, in case I should wander by their camper and think them less than me, as some others have suggested is what "those kind of people" should do...

KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #100

One further thought, for consideration.

I used to own and drive a 1968 Dodge Polara. That old Mopar Muscle car had a 440, and was a ragtop. I owned it for 25 years, and considered teaching my now 15 year old son to drive on it, but sold it a few years ago, because the needs of my family changed, and because I knew it could not deal with the technology of new cars, in the hands of a new driver. (Longer stop distances, rear wheel drive with 4 drums, etc)

But, years ago, when I drove that great old car, I loved it. I had planked it with real wood siding. I had a giant set of texas long horns on the windshield top (roof was folded) because when I had those horns on the hood, I had difficulty seeing the road.

I called this car the 'Beast'. It earned that moniker.

I would get looks from other drivers all the time. People in nice shiny Lexus's and some eurosedans would often look down their noses at me, or eye me in clearly negative ways.

Many, in all kinds of cars, would look with an assortment of wonder or amusement, as it was a bit of a spectacle as a automobile.

But, when a really nice car, like a Rolls Royce, or a Bentley or Ferrari was next to me, the looks I got were much more consistent. They were almost always positive.

I did not speak with these people, but thought it interesting that they were not threatened or annoyed by my old, odd car. They understood that I was driving what I wanted to drive. They were driving what they wanted to drive. They were not trying to impress people, and I never got the thought that I should post a sign saying that I was trying to make my car better appeal to them, as has been suggested in this thread...

KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:13 PM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello All,

Camped at a CG in MI this summer and had a 1967 Airstream park next to us. It was beautiful! The guy had worked on it restoring it and he still had some work to do on outside trim paint but it was beautiful and clean. Loved having the opportunity to talk with him and see his rig.

I have spent the time since buying my 2004 deoxidizing it and then waxing it. Four coats of wax and the last CG we stayed at someone thought it was new due to the shine.

There are a lot of rigs that have been well cared for and a lot that people bring back to beauties with a lot of work and love. I love the "Vintage RV" section here for that reason, man some of these people are amazing at restoration! I love seeing the old ones brought back to life.

Personally, I would rather be parked next to an older rig with nice people than a new rig with crabby or noisy people. Like I said, don't know what I would say if told my rig was to old to be parked at their site. Probably just move on because wouldn't like the attitude and find a place that doesn't mind my older than 10 yrs rig.

It's their place and their right, but they sure would be missing out on some nice rigs due to age only and not condition.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #102

Tiffin Owners Club
We were going to Boise ID for a job and I called a park, everything was going well until I told them that we were driving 1994 MH. After we were refused, I explained that we would be there from June to the middle or end of Nov. We were immediately accepted, but the job didn't come thru. It was the only time I've been descremanated (SP) against.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:20 AM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's funny how the folks with rolling wrecks try to convince those with clean, nice Motorhomes that they are Elitists ! I have never seen a clean , tidy person pop out of junker . Never happened never will.
I was parked next to a shabby Motorhome at one overnight stop. I certainly didn't care about the owner or the Coach. WELL, the owner of that rolling dump was up all night long, going outside to have a smoke and hacking up a lung in the process.
I'm driving a 2004 Motorhome with 110,000 miles on it and it looks new. It didn't cost an arm and a leg. It's called pride of ownership.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #104

A dumpy, scary motor home or rolling wreck and restored motor home are two different things. The production years may be the same but the vehicles are very different.
We plan to "launch" our other rare, three year production classic motor home next year. See below:

This model Winnebago gave way to the Minnie Winnie. Aluminum body, with fiberglass front clip and rear cap. Fully loaded, 21' long, sleeps 5, and a delightful floor plan. And, with it, no debt or payments. Free and clear, like us. We usually only overnight at parks since we have a deadline in our travels.
It is 33 years old and has 38,000 miles on the drive train and looks like new. It's Chevy powered, totally updated inside and out........should this be refused? Is this a "rolling wreck"?
We are just shy of retirement age, worked very hard for 42 years, and our plans for this chapter of our lives is simple-to enjoy ourselves, see this great country, visit scattered relatives and follow the sunset.
Again, we totally understand why some parks have restrictions. Any park owner has the "right to refuse service" like any other privately owned public service. But, we also believe that these restrictions should be applied rig-by-rig. Don't judge my motor home by it's production year.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #105

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice rig Bowtie! I agree she is a well maintained beauty and I would be proud to be parked next to her. I really like Winnie's.

Chuck, I agree that some owner's don't take pride in caring for their rigs. We all see them parked in yards all over the US and just left to rot.

The previous owner of my rig didn't take much pride in caring for the rig. It saved me a lot of money and I could change it's care and it now looks really nice.

I also wouldn't like to see my rig being judged on age alone and not condition. Hope it never happens but I wonder when I retire and start to travel more how lucky I am going to get and avoid this.

Hope to see some of you in the future at a CG so we can all enjoy our older rigs. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Unfortunately in today's society you cannot discriminate rig by rig, person by person, etc. You have to make a blanket rule that is the same for everyone. You are not discriminating according to the condition but a non discriminatory age restriction.

So you have to make a rule that applies to everyone good or bad.

I expect in the case of Bowtie and certainly Lynne and Jerry no one would even consider the 10 year rule.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #107

I would imagine a 10 or 5 yr rule is ok if it is applied consistently but your posts indicate it's being used to avoid a discrimination lawsuit. Some disturbing posts on this thread. Never is a word with infinite timeline. Never will be a clean person walking out of a old RV. Sorry you feel this way. Maybe travel to better locations. Karma and old age will fix all
Old 09-09-2015, 12:58 AM   #108

whatever all I know is my old 1983 fires up and runs.... nice mechanically injected diesel connected to a hydraulic controlled transmission (until I get the 5 speed NV4500 in there)... sure the RV park may not let me in but at least my old diesel has better odds of making it to the park that will not have me...

When the kids come back from swimming in the ocean or mtb I really do not care about the carpet...

To be honest some of the best food I have ever had was cooked in holes in the ground, over a fire, tailgate of pickup, off the street in the 3rd world country, or in some small village...

I spend lots of time on the docks with super yachts making there way around the earth and my old Government owned work boat gets respected by those with helicopters on their decks... I think the RV folks could learn something (in the yachting world someone elses always has one a few inches longer)..

But then again everyone in my town parks freely on the street, lawn, or driveway be it an RV, Boat, Truck or whatever... we have the most expenses homes beside mobile homes... If I want to go fishing my neighbour keeps his boat key in the ignition and the tank full... so why would I complain if he puts it on the lawn to pull a leg off?

Oh ya I have climbed 25% gravel grades and brushed logging trucks out getting my old rig free camping on the Ocean... enjoy your manicured lawn cement pad (if your manifold does not crack trying to get there)....
Old 09-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #109

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
I would imagine a 10 or 5 yr rule is ok if it is applied consistently but your posts indicate it's being used to avoid a discrimination lawsuit. Some disturbing posts on this thread. Never is a word with infinite timeline. Never will be a clean person walking out of a old RV. Sorry you feel this way. Maybe travel to better locations. Karma and old age will fix all
Put forth a theory. Who knows what precipitates rules or guidelines. Some feel the need to be better than others through possessions. The question is what determines acceptable or not. Many times it is in the eye of the beholder. I just like to try to figure out what caused the rule to be made and then how it will be applied.

I like most folks try to comply with rules when they make sense. Others simply like to be exceptions to any rule. All you have to do is read any thread about speed or weight. Then watch the labelling begin.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #110

Tiffin Owners Club
This thread is so full of crap
Old 09-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #111

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've only ran into this once but I sent a picture of the rig and they said no problem...It was the star of the park while we were there (tons of people wanting to look at it and ask questions and take pictures).
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie621 View Post
A dumpy, scary motor home or rolling wreck and restored motor home are two different things. The production years may be the same but the vehicles are very different.
We plan to "launch" our other rare, three year production classic motor home next year. See below:

This model Winnebago gave way to the Minnie Winnie. Aluminum body, with fiberglass front clip and rear cap. Fully loaded, 21' long, sleeps 5, and a delightful floor plan. And, with it, no debt or payments. Free and clear, like us. We usually only overnight at parks since we have a deadline in our travels.
It is 33 years old and has 38,000 miles on the drive train and looks like new. It's Chevy powered, totally updated inside and out........should this be refused? Is this a "rolling wreck"?
We are just shy of retirement age, worked very hard for 42 years, and our plans for this chapter of our lives is simple-to enjoy ourselves, see this great country, visit scattered relatives and follow the sunset.
Again, we totally understand why some parks have restrictions. Any park owner has the "right to refuse service" like any other privately owned public service. But, we also believe that these restrictions should be applied rig-by-rig. Don't judge my motor home by it's production year.

Thank you Bowtie 621 for making my point. Nice looking Motorhome and unless you told someone the year of it, they would never know !

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote