Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Vintage motorhome restrictions in RV parks

We are new to motorhome and have not yet even taken our out yet a 83 Fleetwood pace arrow, currently we are performing upgrades and freshening it up beforehand.

One of the reason we bought it is so we can use it to go to my wife's family reunion in Texas next summer.

I have read that many RV parks restricts vintage motorhome and I was wondering if anyone could advise us of the RV Park that do not have these restriction from the Inland Empire in California to Texas.

We plan to take the fastest freeway route, but have not yet mapped out our travel plans, so are there any of you out there whom has driven this route and if so is there any RV parks you can recommend and those you know for a fact of these vintage motorhome restrictions?

Knowing in advance will allow us to map our trip to be able to hit the good parks and avoid the restrictive ones.

Thanks in advance
kartvines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #2

i have a 1985 southwind i have never been told i could not enter (10 year rule) now one time i was ask to send pics, one time they inspected it now my paint shines new stripes. the people with new rigs dont want a rig with broke windows ect
good luck dave
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're new here as well with an '84 Winnebago Elandan.
I've read threads regarding campground ....selectivity....but it seems rather limited and perhaps more apocryphal than anything.

I've read of campgrounds in California that are less than welcoming of entry level Diesel Pushers ... but that seems isolated.

That said, campground owners may be wary of old rigs for a number of reasons including the possibility of safety problems (propane system failures - electrical malfunctions) and the possibility that an old rig brings with it people who are more ... interesting...than the CG would prefer.

Regarding the first issue...there's merit there but if your rig - like ours - is in good condition as evidenced by it's appearance and upkeep it shouldn't be a problem.

On that subject - I was quite disturbed by something I read in the chat forum at the Classic Winnebago Site. One of the regulars related a story about pulling in late and setting up. Even later that night they discovered that the power panel at their site was on fire - later found to be the result of their house model 110 refrigerator drawing too much current. They moved to another site and the following morning paid up and left without taking responsibility for the damage. They and the others in the chat forum thought it was quite a hoot that they got away with it. I found it disgusting. I bring this up because these are the same people who rail against campground discrimination - real or imagined.

As to the other, the posts I've read on the issue reveal that common sense and courtesy trump all. The way you present yourself and your rig will preclude any problems with owners... which is just like life isn't it?

Happy Trails!

Peter
in Denver
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #4

Hi ,

Although we haven't moved our 1987 bounder around much there are definitely quite a few RV parks etc in South East TX that adhere to the 10 year rule strictly. Doesn't even matter how clean or well kept your older rig is if it doesn't fit in the 10 year rule you aren't coming in.

Its funny we can get our mail sent to one park in particular using their *fulltimer* mail service but they wont allow us to bring our rig in as its well over 10 years old. They wont even look at pictures.

One member on here lovingly restored a 1985 monaco to a lovely condition looking better than some rigs half its age but got refused entry because of the rigs age.

Not trying to scare you just be careful & enjoy your trip, Im sure you can find a suitable route with no problems.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You can map out your trip with KOA, they accept all RV's.
Sample
Plan a Trip - KOA Campgrounds

J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
if your rig looks good just tell them its a 2001
i wouldnt call it lying just look at it as their chance to take(earn) some of your hard earned $$$$
brianj
Old 09-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
tncruiser is right. I had a nice looking 1994 Fleetwood Flair and I always said it was 31ft and 9 years old. Not once did anyone dispute it. In fact no one ever came out and looked at it. Get yourself a Trailer Life Directory of all campgrounds in the US at any Camping World or you can get a CD from trailer life with all the campground information on it. It will give you all the campground locations.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I contacted them and was told that some do have such a restriction and I would have to call each part to verify if they do or do not have this restriction, they said being each is privately owned they make their own restrictions. They went so far as to tell me that they could not tell me which of the KOA do.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback
Old 09-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some use it as a method of keeping older trashy RVs out. I have seen some just a few years old that are pretty trashy. Some as long as it is well kept and will accept it based on a photo. One particular RV "RESORT" north of Houston will would let our 31 year old restored trailer in with the Texas Boomers for a rally, but otherwise we are just out of luck.

Then there are the ones that it is just purely snobbish. Some of the folks with newer high end RVs feel they will get cooties if they are parked near one that is over 10 years old. I don't care to be around that kind of person anyway. My money goes down the road.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I've never been to a state park or federal campground that has an "RV age limit", so you may be able to plan on stopping at them as much as possible. We've found that most are far enough off the freeways to be nice and quiet, but not too far off to be way out of our way.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So.... you buy a new rig using 120 month - 10 year - financing. The day you make your last payment you're no longer welcome in campgrounds. Worse...you buy a new copy of the previous years model under the same scenario and you're not welcome a year before you've paid it off!

A new Class A is - what - $150K average? A really nice 2000 Gulfstream we looked at was $35,000...but it's not welcome.

This tells me that campground operators are working against the RV industry. I don't see how the case could be made that they're helping by forcing people into new rigs.

Of course this is not the universal situation...and indeed many of the campgrounds that enforce 10 year are probably not where you're want to stay anyway...but it's an interesting situation.

Peter
in Denver
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #13

I run a Campground and RV Park. Saftey is my biggest issue. I have had two of the older rigs catch fire. I impose the ten year rule for long term residents but this is not set in stone. It does however give me an out if the people are of questionable characture. As long as the overnight Rigs are presentable they can register. I've had rigs with the tail ends drooping or missing cargo doors or broken windows pull up and when I had taken their reservation they had said their rig was pristine. We are in a national forest area so I send those up the road to do a little boondocking. Point being is there is an exception to any rule. I have seen some beautifuly restored older rigs that I would not hesitate renting to.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
I run a Campground and RV Park. Saftey is my biggest issue. I have had two of the older rigs catch fire. I impose the ten year rule for long term residents but this is not set in stone. It does however give me an out if the people are of questionable characture. As long as the overnight Rigs are presentable they can register. I've had rigs with the tail ends drooping or missing cargo doors or broken windows pull up and when I had taken their reservation they had said their rig was pristine. We are in a national forest area so I send those up the road to do a little boondocking. Point being is there is an exception to any rule. I have seen some beautifuly restored older rigs that I would not hesitate renting to.
Since 01/01/2010, I've seen at least five posts on MH forums of newer rigs on fire. All were total losses, all were about 3-5 years old. Nobody has posted an oldie on fire in that time frame, that I've seen. Do people just not care to post oldies going up in flames? (good riddance?)
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote