Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2004, 03:15 PM   #29

These relics are very interesting as you never know what to expect next. I put off changing all of the universals on the drive shaft just to renew them and make them quieter and dependable.I went to check the engine for gas leaks at the filter on the carburetor and decided to snug up the filter and broke it right off. Oh, boy what a pickle but I got it repaired now.
Triple E
triple e is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2004, 10:43 AM   #30

I think its a great idea to have a "Vintage" forum. We just bought our first RV and its an oldie but goodie..A 76' Tioga. We love it and are having to learn about a lot of things. And we do have some areas we need to work on and if I could go on here and ask fellow Vintage Rv'ers questions that would be great!
Thanks
Jamie
Jamielady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Welcome Jamielady. My neighbor just bought a '78 Tioga "C" on a Dodge chassis with a 440. IMHO they were one of the best small truck engines. Good tranny too. It might be prudent to have the tranny flushed. Our first motorhome was a Winny with the Dodge 440; when I did the flush you would have thought I put Geritol in the tank! It was my hotrod Winny. Happy 4th!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 02:05 PM   #32
GB

Hi, boy I'm glad this forum got started, I just noticed it about a week ago, I like the other posters here like older / vintage rvs, and its nice that some folks keep them going and using them. Like one poster said new is nice but I'd much rather talk with & about vintage rvs.
Well I meant to say talk to folks with vintage rvs, but I have been know to talk to the Airstream at times!

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 05:00 PM   #33
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GB:
Hi, boy I'm glad this forum got started <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're glad you like it; hopefully as more folks find it we'll get more activity.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:53 AM   #34

hi i say lets do it i got a trailer i am restoring and have photos poted and i am planing on using it after it has been restored
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:16 AM   #35

Count me in too boys & girls!!

We have a 32' 1986 HRC Alumalite and I have been searching for a website for "vintage" rv's. Does it include 5th wheels?

Larry-El Paso
Justadad1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 02:37 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Welcome to the Vintage Rv Forum! You bet 5'rs are welcome along with any other vintage rig. Have not been to El Paso in a while but still have my Tony Lamas I got while there. Some great TexMex also Post some pictures. We like pictures. Happy Trails!!
Old 02-08-2005, 11:40 AM   #37

I just checked in ytoday to see more of what I have been missing.

I'm about to go look at a '78 Winnebaggo but have questions that the seller has no answer for...how do they handle in a crosswind is my major concern.

Is a 'toad' a vehicle that is towed? How important is it to have a towed vehicle? Would my Ranchero be good for that use if it is on a dolly?
Scootergranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:24 AM   #38

Welcome to the forum. With any large RV, there will be wind issues, and especially sidewind issues. You don't say how big it is, what kind of strength winds you expect, or what your driving experience is, but under most conditions the rig will be manageable. In a rig of that age, it might need some beefing up of suspension and control items underneath. A nember of items are available, and I'm sure you will get more definitive advice from others on this forum.

Yes, a toad is towed. Is one necessary? Depends. I don't use one, but I tow a cargo trailer. Depends on your type of travel and personal preferences. Some like to have their own toad along for side trips, grocery runs, etc. Others rent a car at destinations or just do what they can from their RV's. There is a recent (and ongoing) post in another section of this forum on this subject.

I will defer the technical questions on towing to others, more knowledgable. Good Luck,
Old 02-09-2005, 07:19 AM   #39

I just looked at a '79 Winnebago that is 27 feet long which is the one I question.

I'm also considering a 22 foot Class C which looks like it would be similair to driving a large van.

I did drive a school bus at one time many years ago but mostly drive a lwb minivan now. I spent many years driving a 1/2 ton pickup and my 1/4 ton. We are taking the 1/2 ton back to Chicago from Idaho this spring through the upper route, namely Montana and the Dakotas.

The Class C is looking better each day.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:44 AM   #40

Our histories are similar. I drove a 28 passenger Flexible dance band bus in college. I had an 18 1/2 foot Class C in the 70's and have had a 28', and 2- 37' Class A's lately, the current one with a slide. I also drive my wife's Astrovan at times. We need the space for five special needs children. The space also comes in handy when staying at Disney World for a week or two. Even a 37 footer gets small after a while with 7-13 people in it.

The size you need will depend, in part, on how many people will likely travel in it, and how and how often you plan to use it. I don't think either of the ones you mention would be hard to drive. Handling and power through the mountains might be an issue.

I went through a storm series in our van a few years back from Las Vegas to Oklahoma City that I really didn't want to drive ANYTHING in...snow, sleet, dust, gravel, cross-winds, mini-tornadoes, and two BIG black clouds descending on the interstate that I really didn't want to know much about. Good Luck,
Old 02-09-2005, 08:16 AM   #41

My husband would be the only person with me most of the time....maybe a granddaughter sometimes....my doxie always travels with me.

Most of the time it would be to take a trip back to Indiana from Idaho by the Northern route maybe taking side trips to North Dakota, Wisconsin, Georgia and such with a trip to Washington State going down Cabbage Hill on that route. I passed on a Class A in Washington State because I would need to bring it back via the Columbia Gorge and Cabbage Hill before it would be restored fully.

Going to North Idaho via the 'goat trail' would be another challenge in a larger vehicle although I know others do it all the time.

When any RV is not in use on the road, it would be used as an office here, where my inventory could be stored. Some trips to flea markets would also be on the schedule.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:38 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wecome back Scootergranny! As with any rv, particuarly a vintage rig, the importance is not only it's current condition but how it's been maintained over the years. Our first class A was a '78 Winny I bought from the original owner. It had a Dodge 440 with the shift on the dash. It had been in a hail storm north of Amarillo which hammered the roof and drivers side. I christened it "Dimples". The 440 was a powerful engine paired with a good tranny. It took us up some serious hills in north Georgia and the Carolinas. It gave us good service and handled well. I did,however, replace the orginal Rodchester carb with an Edelbrock. It then became my hotrod Winny. I would suggest a careful and thorough inspection and tranny flush if you do decide to purchase. Happy Trails!!