Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess it is official. We are nuts, but there was never little doubt of that since we honor the pink chickens. The big old Avion is going away and we just purchased a 29' 1979 Silver Streak travel trailer. Belonged to my Father in law and is in great shape for the age. Stored under cover, but has seen Nova Scotia to Florida to Baja to Alaska and all points in between.

We also bought his 1993 Suburban 2500 with only 61,000 miles and letting my beloved PSD go as well.

We have always gravitated to the vintage silver trailers and finally did the deed. I'll get some photos up soon.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess it is official. We are nuts, but there was never little doubt of that since we honor the pink chickens. The big old Avion is going away and we just purchased a 29' 1979 Silver Streak travel trailer. Belonged to my Father in law and is in great shape for the age. Stored under cover, but has seen Nova Scotia to Florida to Baja to Alaska and all points in between.

We also bought his 1993 Suburban 2500 with only 61,000 miles and letting my beloved PSD go as well.

We have always gravitated to the vintage silver trailers and finally did the deed. I'll get some photos up soon.

Ken

Old 05-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #3

Congrats on the new "vintage" TT, can't wait to see pictures. Here and there.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #4

You, too?
I just went this past week and picked up our "new" MH, an '85 Holiday Rambler. I guess it's true that once something gets familiar, it's time to move on. We decided that a 30' 5er was just too long for the places we want to go now that we're in WY.
It took a year of weighing options, and facing realities, before we found our MH. Also in amazingly good shape for its age. The interior's going to get a facelift, but mechanically and system-wise she's sound and ready to roll.
I'll be starting the search, in earnest, soon for a small vintage TT to use as a hunting/fishing camper. There's a lot to be said for the older, better quality units. For one thing you shouldn't need a 12-, 15-, or 20-year payment plan to have a good time RVing. Not that I can complain about the service our 5er has given, she's done all we could ask and more, and held up very well. She was, after all, our FT home for the first year we were in WY - including some -30 to -35 degree nights!
Welcome to the dark side!
Happy Trails, ya'll!
Brian 'n Steff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:53 AM   #5

I love vintage rigs, congratulations!

Btw, some awesome restored vintage Airstreams and other vintage trailers here;Vintage Trailer Crazy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:41 AM   #6

You guys are all just jealous of the "fun" we're having here on the Vintage Forums!

Could the rehabing of vintage RV's become a new trend?
Old 05-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I always liked recycling anyway! Such waste this country does! If more did it we would all have a better place to live.I always wondered what a city of classic homes would look like?
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
...I always wondered what a city of classic homes would look like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Say that to me again around December. David & I should be well under way with a proposed new project. But right now, it's all Hush-Hush!
Old 05-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HERE is a link to the photos of the truck and trailer.....

Oh and that is not a camp ground, it is back edge of our home base.

Ken
Old 05-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Lorna, Ya got to send me that address as I think all those old homes all together would be neat!!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #11

I think you just knocked a great big giant homerun. What a gorgeous trailer, looks brand new.

More pics soon I hope.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
TXiceman, That is a pretty trailer!!! A little dusting and Maybe a little work and you should have a nice home!! Yes, I'm green with envy!! Give me another month, I will be over it! By that time my home should be all done!
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is not too much work to do on it. Belonged to my Father in law and he stored it under cover and maintained it well...same for the Burb...only 61000 miles, mostly pulling the trailer. He wore out two other Burbs toting that trailer. It has been to Nova Scotia to Florida, Baja, Alaska and all over the US and Canada. Sort of like the "I've been everywhere man" song.

It is sort of sad moving out of our 1995 Avion 36.5' 5er (really nice5er)and F350 diesel dually, but we have been talking about a Vintage Air Stream or the likes for some time....well, now is the time.

With the big trailer, we were missing out on the part of camping we really loved and wanted to get back to a smaller easily handled rig. None of the new trailers appealed to us...especially the construction.

Ken
Old 05-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #14

We hit most of the RV shows here, at least 2 a year. The new RVs do nothing for us. Not only the poor construction, not saying ours is any better, but they are boring. No lines and no personality.

Our older TT is not a "high quality" TT but I would think the quality of construction in the new ones would be a lot better than it is.

There's not a new RV out there that has any where near the class your "new" vitnage Silver Streak has.

That's one nice looking travel trailer.

Signed,

Green with Envy.