Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
You realize that vintage trailers did not have painted cabinets? They do now because people didn't want to care for the wood.

Nothing is finer than seeing a vintage RV with its perfectly restored or cared-for wood paneling and cabinets.

Plus I love the aluminum windows and vents. So much nicer than today's plastics.

Maybe you can get your vintage look just with fabrics and accessories?
I'm not sure what you are calling vintage but my parents 1956 Sportcraft (or whatever) had some kind of paint with built in chips that covered everything. As soon as one moved out of the luxury yacht class varnish went and paint moved in. Much less maintenance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
You realize that vintage trailers did not have painted cabinets? They do now because people didn't want to care for the wood.

Nothing is finer than seeing a vintage RV with its perfectly restored or cared-for wood paneling and cabinets.

Plus I love the aluminum windows and vents. So much nicer than today's plastics.

Maybe you can get your vintage look just with fabrics and accessories?
Hi Bill, thanks for your comments. I went out to our trailer today and took some measurements. You're right! I think I am going to add a faux tin back splash behind the sink/stove area (as to not add any more weight then necessary) and then I found some really cool fabric to replace the boring window valances with some curtains and make some throw pillows. And with the proper accessories it will be perfect.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
...So when it came about to buy an RV, we knew we want vintage (we can afford the new). "High Line" vintage to be precise. We looked at Prevost, Beaver, Monaco, and Vogue. Since I didn't have ANY experience with MH, I decided to buy 34' 1991 Bounder. Five grand cheap, with 67K on the clock. VERY dirty/trashed inside, but VERY good mechanically. I spent two months remodeling the whole interior (I gutted it out) for 6K (materials/furnishings only, my labor "free"). It came out perfect. Then I buffed/polished/waxed the exterior, and put the new graphics on it, and it turned out great! Took it to ID (2500 miles RT), and AZ (500 miles RT). It performed fabulously. Doing this, I learned a LOT about the Bounder, and MH in general.

Bounder had 460 Ford, and it's a good engine, but it had no power on the grades (when I purchased it I had NO IDEA about the difference between DPs and gassers).
Maybe, but maybe not. It you want high line vintage, you could look around for a Revcon. Trust me, after dropping a 502 in it, there isn't a diesel out there that will come anywhere remotely close for the power to weight ratio. The DP may ride better, but it won't handle as well. While you may like wood, some high line coaches use Wilsonart laminate, which holds up better than wood. Otherwise, you may want to add Foretravel on your short list. Once Revcon went out of business, a very large percentage of former Revcon owners now drive Foretravels, and for good reason.

Tags
vintage