Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
We almost bought a 2004 Winnebago 2 months ago. Decided to not get it because we figured we needed to be a bit better prepared to bring it home. Driveway, storage area, learn a bit more about this whole field of RVing.

I have still been looking because I have the RVing bug real bad. I keep second guessing myself over and over again about not buying the Winnie. I still think it was the right move, but it still bites.

I have been looking at older rigs than the 2004. There are some really nice rigs out there that are older. It is just finding the right one. Figured we would buy "The" rig the first time out and only ever buy just the one but have been reconsidering that. I might get an older one right now and then when I retire get one that will be the forever rig.

Just really want to get out there on the road.
We just jumped in head first about 6 years ago. Bought on eBay. We knew what kind of floor plan we were looking for and that's about it. I knew I wanted a fuel injected 460 and if the chassis looked okay, we were going to buy it. We flew in to Idaho from TEXAS, sight unseen, and bought this 36,000 mile 1995 Dolphin. Inside doors were banging open and closed and it just seemed like this huge, rolling turd. However, chassis looked good, everything seemed to work so we did it.

We're about to sell her on to the next owner now. She's been an amazingly good coach. There are always issues. Just like owning a boat or even a house. There is always something that needs to be fixed. But in the long run, we've had WAY more than what we've spent... we look forward to every trip in her and I'm hoping that when we go full time next year, we enjoy our new (to us) one even more.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Many of us are hanging on to our vintage RV's because we are in no position or cannot afford the newer ones. Is there any one out there who chooses to keep their vintage RV even though you can easily step up... or how many of us would get rid of our vintage RV for a newer one if we were able?
I bought this one in 2010 to lean how to drive an RV with intentions of buying a bigger/better one after I learned the hard lessons.
I like the simple functionality of this one so much that I'm keeping it (dings/dents and all :>)
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
We almost bought a 2004 Winnebago 2 months ago. Decided to not get it because we figured we needed to be a bit better prepared to bring it home. Driveway, storage area, learn a bit more about this whole field of RVing.

I have still been looking because I have the RVing bug real bad. I keep second guessing myself over and over again about not buying the Winnie. I still think it was the right move, but it still bites.

I have been looking at older rigs than the 2004. There are some really nice rigs out there that are older. It is just finding the right one. Figured we would buy "The" rig the first time out and only ever buy just the one but have been reconsidering that. I might get an older one right now and then when I retire get one that will be the forever rig.

Just really want to get out there on the road.
Hi Lynne;
I think you are coming around to see another way of looking for an RV.

IMO you will be really lucky to find "THE ONE" the first time out. True if you have the patience to wait you may find it but also you might not. Or it might take so long you will be past enjoying it.

We have had several units. All the rigs after the first were similar in some respects but not the same. This just shows me that our tastes and requirements change. This is a perfectly valid occurrence.

I believe you will find the best one. It might even be the forever one if you can predict what you would like in the future (and who can predict that?).

My opinion is you have to find the right floor plan. That included space. No matter where you go you will run into inclement weather. Can both of you sit in the RV for several days and be able to relax. Can you lay out a hobby, watch tv, read a book, relax, put your feet up, prepare a meal and have some day visitors without getting in each others way?

Janet and I went to a dealers, ditched the salesman and sat in the unit (several including the ones we eventually purchased) discussing what we would do if confined. Could we lay out a puzzle, have a card game, watch sports and a docu-drama without getting in each others way? Lay back back in the lounge to have a nap. Can Janet get by without me having to sit up?

We really like the 5er but decided to get a coach for travel reasons. We have been confined by weather and so far both units have worked for us.

No matter what you buy it will be the right one for you. Perhaps you may find you will change in the future but that will be after enjoying the unit you first buy for a long time.

Good luck in your search and purchase.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #46

The person or people in front of you!
Dead on...this is why it is such a lure to benifit my family. .
VintageJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #47

Newbe to it!

We just purchased a rough vintage. Want to get one in good shape but med bills have to come first. We hope to redo this 7 x 12 plus use our tent to house my wife, myself an 5 young children. Tons of benifits but mainly just for the experience an feelings we have being around such interesting people.
We hope to save up for a used class a.
during the meantime we will satisfy ourselves with the oldie. Even when or if we get our wish I dont see not using the vintage to enjoy campouts an shows with other vintage owners.
My cancer is terminal so I do feel rushed but...I have to live life to the fullest I can each day. So the vintage means more to us than just a project. So what if the newer doesn't come along...we will have made new quality friends an given the kids experiences to relish
VintageJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My best memories are of tent and tarp camping with kids in the wilderness for two weeks at a time ... It was the best of times and we had little ; but we had all we needed ! So now I could perty much buy anything I want , I love the vintage look of the older rigs...
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I also started out in a tent and always got wet so after years of not tent camping, camped in a boat and stayed dry. Go Figure
Now have a 34 year old Class A MH and am still dry. Happier than ever.
Welcome,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:26 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
In my opinion the classic rigs are a must to have in your camping history. Maybe you dont get all of the latest conveniences and toys . . . But . . . you get a unit that needs everyone to chip in to make it successful.

That means you have to share duties and tasks that the others rely on you to do. Bonding at it's absolute best. Who needs or wants a dishwasher when there are hands able and willing to do it? I think everyone should have spent some time camping in a tent. What a builder of character!
Old 03-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #51

My vintage camper cost 1/10th the price of a new one. Allowed me to get out camping without waiting any longer and no RV payments.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
My vintage camper cost 1/10th the price of a new one. Allowed me to get out camping without waiting any longer and no RV payments.
I agree with Bill about getting out sooner rather than later. Today is the best day of the rest of your life so go out and do something.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
There is nothing like watching a lighting storm from inside a tent after being woke up at 2am to see the show on top of Queen Whilomena mountain !
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:02 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
There is nothing like watching a lighting storm from inside a tent after being woke up at 2am to see the show on top of Queen Whilomena mountain !
When I was young, tent camping was still very popular. Our family used a tent exclusively during the camping years.
Later when we were old enough to camp on our own my brother and friends ditched the tent for just sleeping bags. One warm night we enjoyed watching a lightening storm in the Blue Mountains of Oregon. After the storm died down we went to sleep. The rains came a few hours later. We were not in any kind of park, never stayed in those. Sleeping on some grass we found at the base of a hill, the terrain turned out to be catch basin. Sleeping soundly at 4:00 am, my friends had to wake me up to move to another location. I was lying on my stomach and will never forget lifting myself up on my elbows and seeing water rushing into my sleeping bag. It was about 4" deep inside the bag.
We moved on to a Denney's in La Grande to change and have breakfast. All of us have great memories of our camping and train hopping adventures. Still have the same friends I was with that night 40 years ago.
Kevin
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #55

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Boy I never got that wet.!!!
Thanks for the
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #56

ah tent camping. The smell, the night sounds, the novelty. Being forced to deal with the elements. There are times when I wish I could go back. How did I get to be this dang old?

Tags
vintage