Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:27 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If I could sleep on the ground again, wonder if I could get up ? LOL My kids were at the age they thought I could do anything ... that didn't last long enough. I have 4 son's that are grown and gone we go duck hunting together alot , I follow them now best I can and I am amazed at what they can do... The circle of life is awesome thank GOD !
ps I have seven grandsons I'd love to take tent camping !

Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
ah tent camping. The smell, the night sounds, the novelty. Being forced to deal with the elements. There are times when I wish I could go back. How did I get to be this dang old?
The only thing I miss less than tent camping is acne. I camped in tents with my boys in boy scouts, and before we got pop ups/TT/RVs we had a nice big tent. Seems like it always rained or was too hot, or too cold.

As far as vintage RVs go, I remember we had a mid 80's Pace Arrow on a P30 Chassis with a big 454. What a tank that thing was. My new DP has some new amenities, but its still a truck on wheels to get you where you want to hang out.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:28 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
If I could sleep on the ground again, wonder if I could get up ? LOL My kids were at the age they thought I could do anything ... that didn't last long enough. I have 4 son's that are grown and gone we go duck hunting together alot , I follow them now best I can and I am amazed at what they can do... The circle of life is awesome thank GOD !
ps I have seven grandsons I'd love to take tent camping !
Camping in sleeping bags or any kind of camping ended for my brother and I, until my father bought a new Itasca mh. For several years the three of us would dash around the country on the back roads. Once we made it as far as the east coast from Seattle. I only received 2 weeks of vacation a year, but combining that with Memorial Day could stretch it out to 17 days travel. Dad paid for all the gas and it made for a cheap vacation for his sons. Many wonderful memories of those trips, sure miss my dad.
Kevin
Old 03-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
"As far as vintage RVs go, I remember we had a mid 80's Pace Arrow on a P30 Chassis with a big 454. What a tank that thing was. My new DP has some new amenities, but its still a truck on wheels to get you where you want to hang out.[/QUOTE]"

Hmmm Sound's like what I'm driving now.. Maybe it's your's!!!!
Thanks for the smile @ 5:50 am
Tim
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
The only thing I miss less than tent camping is acne.
A-freakin-men.

We started out in tents. I loved it. The wife, I believe, just toughed it out. I'm not certain she ever actually enjoyed it.

After a few years of marriage and many, many weekends in a tent and sleeping bags, she talked me into buying an old, beat up, worn out pop up camper. It was nice to be sleeping off the ground and we did have some great times in that pop up, but after a few pretty good thunderstorms, even the popup wouldn't keep us dry. So we swapped that for an old 5th wheel. Then we went to the motorhome. Out of all of those, the motorhome is certainly the most fun and I wouldn't go back to sleeping on the ground for anything.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
We love the MH and would still enjoy the 5er.

However we still look forward to camping in our Bunkhouse popup we tow behind our motorcyle. We are planning a 4000 mile trip for this summer.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #63

When I was 19 I did the perimeter of the US on a motorcycle. Camped in a tent and ate hot dogs cooked on a single burner propane stove. Never again. It is memory foam or nothing for me now.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #64

When I was 19, I was in the infantry in Vietnam. Slep on the jungle floor every night. A life time latter DW and I enjoy cruising around in our comfortable 1990 Barth DP. My advice is to stay healthy as long as you can and enjoy what you have.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Years ago we went on a canoe trip with a bunch of couples. Stopped our cars at the parking area and hitch hiked in with all supplies including canoes. It was a long haul to the camping area on the side of the river. When we set up camp my DH and I pitched our tent on the top of the hill while the others pitched theirs down by the water.

There were clouds in the sky while doing this so you knew what was coming. My Dad was a Boy Scout, he taught me well. I said to my DH that we needed to dig a MOAT Around our tent and a drain away from the tent. He didn't question, just helped me dig it. That night it poured down for over two hours. We were the only ones who stayed dry that night. They had joked about my prep going so far as to say to the DH that he had a worry wort for a wife. I just laughed the next morning as they emerged from their sopping tents.

Made an offer on a 2000 Winnebago Brave on Friday. Waiting to hear from the broker if they will accept. I think they will counter since we went low but you don't know if you don't try. Might take a bit since the man has been sick.

It's a simple rig but I like her. Floor plan works and it's all we need.
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #66
bap

dear lord how i remember the smell of the tent...love it,,,i remember way back in the day when we would hike for miles and pitch the tents usually in the coldest days of the winter,,,i remember one week we would wait on 6 deg. that was the warmest part of the day for a week,,,,,i got the idea to dig a big deep hole and built a fire in it and threw in every rock i could find in there,,i then cut the floor out of my tent and covered the hole back up and pitched my tent over it,,,was nice and toasty in there,,

and lynne i had a simmular experince,,me and the guy,s all got together and went to the manongahila national forest for a weekend bow hunt, the night we got there it started raining it rained for 9 ndays straight,,worst flood in west virginia hystory at that time all the passages out of there flooded out...no way to get off the mtn. all my buddies laughed at me because they said i always over packed,,,but im a firm beliver in better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it..i also dug a moat around my tent and had a length of plastic that i pitched above my tent...i stayed nice and dry and toasty warm in my bottomless tent,,,i was so rested that i was the onlyone able to get out and hunt our food, we had fresh venison,squirell,and grouse every night for dinner.....you should have seen the looks of my buddies faces as i woke refreshed in the mornings and enjoyed the adventure of being stranded for 9 days when it was only suppose to be 2..

as for the vintage tt,s and mh,s i prefer the oldies,,
i once meet a blind man at a car show and he said he could feel a car and tell you what kind it was make and model but after (i forget what year) he said they all felt like jelly beans,,,they all feel the same.....i agree with him..i also love seeing everything in the 40s 50s and 60s stamped made in USA and the pride that was put in by everyone that had touched it,,,,things were simple and mostly made to be fixed rather than call a dealer and wait on a part to be shipped...just my honest opinion..
long live the vintage,,,,,and cant wait to take the grandsons on there first hike and pitch the tent....my grandsons will love it,,,they are not the stay inside glued to a video kind,,even though they will only turn 9 and 10 this month they know how to build a car from a buk and form a fiberglass cast of body parts and can build a real house,,,,they would rather build something than sit glued to a video game,,unless its a cold rainy day and we bring out the yatzee,scrabble, or cards...thats my boy,s...lol
Old 04-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow bap - you bring back some nostalgic memories.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Although our coach is not classified as "vintage", it is 13 years old now, we have now owned it for 8 years. We plan on having it for a while yet as we almost have it paid off and don't really want to borrow for another one and really don't have the desire for another coach right now.

Our two previous coaches were more vintage, a 1984 30' Travelcraft on a GM P32 chassis that we had for six years and then we stepped up to our first DP, a 1991 38' Beaver Contessa which we had for seven years and it had 129k on the odometer when we sold it in 2007. My wife and I loved the Beaver coach and had it had a six-speed transmission and maybe a bit more power we would probably still have it as it was a great coach, beautiful woodwork inside and the Gillig chassis was solid. I had some worries about the CAT 3208 engine as it was not a sleeved engine and was getting tired. I had replaced a 3208 CAT in a 1987 Vogue coach on a Crown chassis a few years prior to us selling our Beaver and I really didn't want to contend with another engine replacement as they are not that much fun.

Financially we could afford a newer coach after just paying our home off in 2006 so the wife and I made a "Needs" list and a "Wants" list do see if we could fulfill them. We were in no hurry and had a very specific coach in mind that took us 9+ months to find. We felt fortunate because it had everything we wanted and we felt the original owners had special ordered our coach for us.

Now she is getting older and ready to roll over 100k on the odometer. We still love the coach and love the traveling we have done and looking forward to more in our older coach.

I started a similar thread a few days back asking people how many miles they have on their coaches and if they are happy with them vs. stepping up to a newer coach. Here is a link to that thread if anyone is interested is seeing the comments people posted.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how-many-miles-on-your-dp-still-happy-239863.html

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Years ago we went on a canoe trip with a bunch of couples. Stopped our cars at the parking area and hitch hiked in with all supplies including canoes. It was a long haul to the camping area on the side of the river. When we set up camp my DH and I pitched our tent on the top of the hill while the others pitched theirs down by the water.

There were clouds in the sky while doing this so you knew what was coming. My Dad was a Boy Scout, he taught me well. I said to my DH that we needed to dig a MOAT Around our tent and a drain away from the tent. He didn't question, just helped me dig it. That night it poured down for over two hours. We were the only ones who stayed dry that night. They had joked about my prep going so far as to say to the DH that he had a worry wort for a wife. I just laughed the next morning as they emerged from their sopping tents.

Made an offer on a 2000 Winnebago Brave on Friday. Waiting to hear from the broker if they will accept. I think they will counter since we went low but you don't know if you don't try. Might take a bit since the man has been sick.

It's a simple rig but I like her. Floor plan works and it's all we need.

Lynne - I sent you a PM. Check it soon!
Old 04-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gordon,

I sent him an E-mail and got a reply. Just waiting on pics or where he has it posted at so I can see what it looks like. Wish it wasn't in CA but I have time coming off in May and could go if it is as good as it sounds. I really want a Winnebago after looking at and driving so many.

I also don't want to get into payments with everything paid off now so plan to buy older and pay cash for it. She won't be new, but it will be paid for and nice.

Have a great evening and Easter, Lynne

beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
vintage