Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #85

I wish I was in a position to afford a new one... but I'm not even close.

Even if I were though, I don't know that I would. I love the newer big shiny diesel RV's, but this old wagon already has a ton of great memories piled up inside of it, and regardless of the fact that this thing has caused me immeasurable pain over the last couple years, those memories are priceless. I guess I'm just a bit sentimental.

If I could afford a new one, I'd probably instead pay to have someone help me get this one fixed up like new.

That said... My favorite RV's in the whole world are the late 90's and turn of the century American Eagles. Maybe if I could afford a new one, I'd instead finish fixing this one up, and then buy an American Eagle and have TWO old RV's. I could use our little HR as our toad... Maybe I'm a sucker for punishment...

-cheers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #86

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I simply have to say that as both a mechanical type and a former boater I can't see getting anything all that new...prices are not in line with quality when compared to older units...I would entertain something around a 2000-2005 Newell, Bluebird, Foretravel or Prevost, and I mean no disrespect to Monaco or American or whatever owners in saying that, but the overall attention to detail and craftsmanship is simply not there. We have a 1992 Beaver and to say the thing is solid is a massive understatement as any Vintage Beaver, Vogue Foretravel, Prevost or Bluebird owner can attest to...I go into something newer at camping world or an RV show and I just can't see the appeal...I look at the slide rails and weather seals and plumbing fixtures and just cringe at the thought of them being in something that pounds it's way down the road...I am used to a bus frame, commercial plumbing and electrical and in a recent bathroom remodel I found the floor to be sandwiched with 2"foam between 2" aluminum frame members on 16" center and 7/8" of underlayment...it was a staggering amount of material...
We went to the Foretravel factory last year and all you have to do is look at the 1/4" gap all around one of their slides with no external flanges or anything above it and you realize the real way to make and seal a slide...why would you want anything less...I'm waiting for quality like that to become vintage and I will sort through any other issues...
Bottom line is similar to boating...simply must have really good bones to start...there's a boating blog of a couple who have sailed over 200k nautical miles in an 80 yr old wood sailing boat...I want to stick with the rolling equivalent of that...

jmm2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:45 AM   #87

Vintage RV Owners Club
After looking at some new RV's while picking up some parts for my 91 Class C, I developed an opinion that the new models are all fluff and no stuff. I'll keep my solid as a rock golden oldie ... thank you.
CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:43 PM   #88

I'm with you. Over the years, as we could afford it, we have upgraded. Sadly, however, we have overloaded and have a huge 36 ft gasser with a slide that is more trouble than convenient.
We are scaling back to a travel trailer, but everything we can find is all glitz and glitter with no actual substance.
Where are the usable trailers ? Who needs a dinette that takes up 10% of the total floor space....that's why god made TV trays.
TWO couches....why? We want two fluffy, comfy recliners and desk space. Guests get a pad and a blanket outside.
And twin beds.........where in the hey-yelll are the twin beds ?

We don't plop down in The Valley or the Florida coast and get orgasmic over shuffleboard.....we stop here, move on, stop there, move on, visit the world's largest ball of string, move on, stop at live music and Bar-B-Q, move on.....SEE PLACES.

We are going TT because I want to drive with creature comforts. Motorhomes don't have DRIVER creature comforts until you get in the Powerball winner category.

But my 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland pampers me and pulls anything we want.

But where are the ones I want.....???
Old 12-14-2015, 03:03 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorOz View Post
...We are scaling back to a travel trailer....
But where are the ones I want.....???
I think you need an Airstream
Old 12-14-2015, 03:14 AM   #90

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We always got too see that ball of twine on our way to Granny's house when I was a kid, 50 years ago.
Can't help ya on the TT's but I have seen some really nice ones @ Coats TT sales in Forest Lake Mn. I think they even Carrie Ice Castles, ya can go Ice Fishing and/or take it on the road.
Have ya seen them?
JS,
Tim
http://assets.interacttools.com/acco...astle/hero.jpg
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:06 AM   #91

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I chose vintage because of lower taxes, registration, and they look so much nicer than the current velveta boxes on wheels. I look at new ones and think it would be nice to have a DP, a w/d, a tag axle and be another 12 feet longer, but none of that matters, I like my old Southwind on the P30 chassis. It is simple to work on and it does not have a ton of electronic gizmos that can go bad. And best of all it has no slides to leak, slide out on turns, or refuse to go in when we break camp. I could afford to go new, but I will not buy a newer one new or used. But I am open to a freebie LOL
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #92

This has been an interesting thread. I bought my 1994 33’ class A Holiday Rambler because I could afford her, she ran well and I knew that with her aluminum body and fiberglass endcaps she was a quality machine. At the time my loving wife had died a year earlier after a seven year fight with cancer, I was living at my daughter’s house and needed to move on and not be a burden to her.

Even though the rig was a monument to abuse, neglect and deferred maintenance, she was a monument that I could live in while I made her roadworthy and reliable again. That was over 2.5 years, 6,700 miles and 12 states ago. I’ve since replaced the engine (I didn’t see that coming! ), repaired the generator, rebuilt the brakes, added rear suspension airbags, replaced the tires, shocks, and grey-water tank, along with a myriad of other repairs too numerous to mention.

She’s still a work in progress and probably always will be. I’ve renamed her three times. Her first name was Escape Plan, the second was The Behemoth, and I’ve recently renamed her Sunchaser (I love snow and cold, but hate winter dreariness and SAD). I’m very comfortable living in her and don’t see any reason for a newer and fancier rig in my future. Particularly after the work and expense I went through replacing the engine!

My future changes are to remodel the bedroom, turning it into a bedroom/office and install solar panels for boondocking ease.

Steve
Old 12-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #93

Solar charging is the best thing you can do for an RV !
Old 12-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #94

Vintage fifth wheel

I've owned a couple of MH's in the past, 18' Winnebago Brave, & 32' Elandan.
!8' was pretty small, and 32' w/454 was not a good combination, about 10 mph and 5mpg in the blue ridge. Sold it when we bought the small farm about 13 yrs ago. Done all the gardening, animal raising, and remodeling I want to do, so in my 77th year of life, bought a 1985 Alpenlite 25. It was in kinda bad shape due to water leaks etc., but after some 6 months of part time rework, it's about ready to go. Removed the queen bed PO had added, and reinstalled twins w/memory foam toppers. Fixed the roof (aluminum) resealed and painted. Replace a lot of interior paneling, using new styrafoam insulation. Rebuilt cabinets and got rid of too many wardrobe closets and added big drawers instead. Pulled out all the old carpet and installed Allure. Changed all lights to LED's. Furnace was already gone, so installed LPG space heater. Pulled the windows and recaulked/resealed. Just built an enclosure for a new SS grille, and found a Honda EV6010 Genny, both will be installed on a rear carrier added by PO. Just installed all new ST tires. I still have the 7.3 F350 crew cab 4x4 dually that I used to haul hay with, has just over 180K miles on it, but runs like new. I chose the old vintage 5er, because it has a welded aluminum frame, no slides, and no basement, thus a low profile for less wind resistance. We've camped one weekend in it, and the dually handles it very well. Come spring, DW and I intend to head north as far as Tennessee to visit relatives, then looking at Yellowstone etc. however long the old truck, the 5er and the pocketbook last
Old 12-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #95

Fleetwood Owners Club
We love our '92 Bounder (Big Red) complete with a new exterior paint job to go with the inside makeover. The older models just seem to be built so much sturdier than what is coming out now plus I love not having a payment every month. Now if you consider everything we have done it to it it would equal monthly payments, but I write that off as home improvements.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativead View Post
We love our '92 Bounder (Big Red) complete with a new exterior paint job to go with the inside makeover. The older models just seem to be built so much sturdier than what is coming out now plus I love not having a payment every month. Now if you consider everything we have done it to it it would equal monthly payments, but I write that off as home improvements.
Sweet ride!

-cheers
Old 12-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #97

I just looked at an ad for a 2016 Newmar dutch Star for $395,000. That is equivalent to almost 50 of mine. I could buy one. I would never do it. It would look silly towing my $700 car.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm2020 View Post
I had to jump in here as well...I suppose we could get another and perhaps I will at some point but you simply can't overlook the "craftsperson" approach to coach building that went into the 80's to early 90's coaches. It was the 90's when the lure of consolidation and economy of scale production and all those destructive forces on craftsmanship started to take hold..production lines certainly existed but each unit maintained a certain individuality and level of focus by the people that built them. That individuality in the coach was a reflection of the individuals that crafted them...crafted being the key word...today the craft is in designing the machines that produce the components and people simply assemble...the same thing every day...if everything is fundamentally the same...then its not individualized and doesn't have that soul we sense in our coaches and TT's.
I encourage vintage RV'ers to look around and grab a few vintage magazines from that period and they are so very different than they are today...content rich...again like our coaches and TT's..they are not glossy...they are RICH...

Tags
vintage