Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #99

Actually it was the late 70s to early eighties. The economy dump in the 70s weeded out a lot of the low end models. The only people buying coaches were those with a some money. The prices took a major jump upward during the early eighties. In the 70s, most of the prices ranged around 20K. In the 80s, you could hardly find anything under 50K. Those coaches just disappeared from the market. The last RV show I had been to was in 1980. Then I went in 1985 and could not believe the price jump.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #100

You would probably have a heart attack if you went to a show now.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:08 PM   #101

Followed by a stroke.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #102

1990 1/2 Bounder

This thread has been going for so long I can't remember if I already posted. Our Bounder is now 25 years young. We are the original owners. It has 40,000 original miles and has been garaged for most of the 25 years. Since retiring, I have added solar, increased the number of storage batteries, added a 2000/4000 watt inverter, modernized the converter, installed the latest ply tires, installed low amp flat panel televisions, added communications gear, and remodeled the living and bedroom areas, including memory foam twin beds. Probably other things I'm not remembering.

We have recently completed two separate multi-week trips without incident. It may look vintage, but it seems new to us. Would I like a more luxurious and newer coach? Sure. But at what cost, now that we are on fixed incomes? There's something about "paid for" that sounds good to us.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350ed View Post
There's something about "paid for" that sounds good to us.
Quote of the Day !!
Old 12-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #104

FWIW IMHO the first company that figures out geezers are a real market that do not want what new families want will grab a significant market share.

Of course that assumes all us geezers want the same thing.... ;-)
Old 12-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW IMHO the first company that figures out geezers are a real market that do not want what new families want will grab a significant market share.

Of course that assumes all us geezers want the same thing.... ;-)
That is what happened in the early 80s, assuming by geezers, you mean retired folk. Retired folk were the only people who could plunk down a chunk of money, which changed the market entirely. Since then, companies have dabbled in the young family market, but for the most part, motorhomes are bought by the elderly. Young families gravitate toward trailers, as they tolerate the inconveniences of less space, no access while driving, and longer setup times. They also fit their budget. I would bet most travel trailer buyers would rather have a motorhome, but can't afford it. Those who buy vintage are mostly DIYers who can fix the old stuff, but want the convenience of a motorhome over a travel trailer. We are enabled by our DIYmanship. (which has not always been a good thing)
Old 12-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #106

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Here at La Posa West in Quartzite there is a 1950 Flexible. A guy from Oregon spent 5 years restoring it. Another unusual (although not a Vintage) is a tiny house on wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_JRV0567.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	114279   Click image for larger version

Name:	_JRV0536.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	114280  

vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #107

Vintage RV Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
including memory foam twin beds. Probably other things I'm not remembering.
Looks like the "foam" isn't working
Old 12-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #108

I have done lots of work on ours and am still not done, we like it alot but, if I was younger I would get into a newer larger one, 45' and 4 slides. We would live in it
Old 12-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #109

No problem buying a new fw but when I went to go purchase one I realized that it was a huge waste of money. What really bothers me is the build quality, yes you have to keep them lite but I'm dropping 100k for something I can push on the walls and they flex in, no thank you. But what I do love about the new RVs is the amount of space you have with slides and the crazy tall ceiling height. I just couldn't justify it because I'm more of a if I can build it why am I going to pay someone else. So I'm super happy with my vintage fw and would put the quality of my interior up there with those $100,000 fw's.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
That is what happened in the early 80s, assuming by geezers, you mean retired folk. Retired folk were the only people who could plunk down a chunk of money, which changed the market entirely. Since then, companies have dabbled in the young family market, but for the most part, motorhomes are bought by the elderly. Young families gravitate toward trailers, as they tolerate the inconveniences of less space, no access while driving, and longer setup times. They also fit their budget. I would bet most travel trailer buyers would rather have a motorhome, but can't afford it. Those who buy vintage are mostly DIYers who can fix the old stuff, but want the convenience of a motorhome over a travel trailer. We are enabled by our DIYmanship. (which has not always been a good thing)
If you follow dealer/manufacturer "how to choose" information they are targeting C's and the newish short A's at familys. Sleep 6 or 8 with the overhead bunk, couch and dinette. The issue with trailers is the tow vehicle. A decent truck costs almost as much as a C and has to be a family vehicle all year. My point is that size vehicle also suites part time older couples but they are loaded with stuff couples do not need, want, or like paying for.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #111

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
There's something about "paid for" that sounds good to us.
I can honestly say that now. We paid ours off yesterday.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:15 AM   #112

Folks, RVs are NEVER paid off. Payments may get smaller and more random, but stuff always breaks. I'm installing a new furnace Friday.

Tags
vintage