Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #113
Originally Posted by vermilye View Post
Here at La Posa West in Quartzite there is a 1950 Flexible. A guy from Oregon spent 5 years restoring it. Another unusual (although not a Vintage) is a tiny house on wheels.
I have always been drawn to the flexible bus till I talk to a guy that had restore one said it was the dumbest thing he had ever done that he could buy a high end new dp for what he had spent and could of been enjoying it over the ten years it took him to get it on the road.

Raving is a hobby hobbies cost money
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #114
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Folks, RVs are NEVER paid off. Payments may get smaller and more random, but stuff always breaks. I'm installing a new furnace Friday.
Ya....well that may be true but just imagine an $800 payment AND a furnace, or tires, or any number of other consumables and/or deferred maintenance items. No vehicles are ever "paid for". RVs are not unique in this area. That's why I'm happy with ours. We are the only one that has owned it, so we know its history. With low miles, it's almost new. Even so, we have spent money on it. No question. Like replacing the tires with something from THIS century.

2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36B
gt350ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #115
I have often wondered how I would have felt if I had been making a $700 or $800/month payment on our motorhome when the air cleaner boot tore and dusted the engine. I am guessing it would have been much more difficult to swallow...

No, our RV is not fancy... but I can't afford fancy... and I'm ok with that. We're only here for a little while... and then... ... ... ...

1994 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE - Engine Rebuilt and Restoration in Process
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #116
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Folks, RVs are NEVER paid off. Payments may get smaller and more random, but stuff always breaks. I'm installing a new furnace Friday.
Amen to that. Always having to replace stuff that breaks. I know this RV like the back of my hand. And, I just put a new satellite on top of our 1990 Barth and can receive all my dish programming that I get at home. I feel like I'm in a much newer coach now.
Mo Fred, South Central Missouri
1990 32' Barth Regency
8.3 CTA Cummins, 4 Speed Allison
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:14 PM   #117
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
... I feel like I'm in a much newer coach now.
Mines near close to brand new. Hey I wonder if replacing all this stuff gets me past the 10 year old limit for some parks? If the average age for most of the parts in it are less then 10 years old, am I good?
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD FMCA F298817
502 w/Howell/GM ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows, 4L85E 4 spd, KoniFSD
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #118
Originally Posted by gt350ed View Post
As you might notice in some of my other threads, we are the original owners of our 90 1/2 Bounder.
More recently, we have done away with our "walk-around" (not) queen bed, and have built twin beds. Much more useable space, and we're at an age where each having our own bed makes for more room and more restful sleep. And we're still close enough that we can hold hands.
I owned a '93 Bounder that we ordered with the twin beds for my dad, brother and I, with the intended purpose of traveling the country together. This arrangement worked out very well even after I got married in my mid forties.
The wife's daughter and husband that are newlyweds took over ownership of the Bounder and are thrilled. I really miss my old rv and prefer it over our new rv, which the wife Chris much prefers.
We had dinner the other day with her daughter and she likes the twin bed arrangement too. She also consoled me by saying "This way it stays in the family". She did not realize that was one of the reasons why I wanted them to take ownership, that plus it is a very good mh that should give them much enjoyment. Early this spring her new husband and I will be working on the Bounder to get it in top shape and make some long needed upgrades, like televisions and such. Darn, when done I will like the old Flounder even more.
Kevin n Chriss - 2015 Newmar Bay Star-
1993 Fleetwood Bounder -The Flounder-
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #119
that is a cool looking rig
Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #120
The good life

We purchased our 1995 Rexhall 35', tag, 460, Banks headers, chip, ram air, from our Uncle Paul. He being an honest man stated "I always kept the oil and filter changed". Turns out to be a fair estimate of what was in store for us. We remodeled the interior to our liking, using a steam cleaner to make her new and refinishing all of the oak cabinets and trim. New carpet and vinyl floor in the kitchen area. A new Dometic 320 commode in the bathroom, and 2 new LED TV's. A new furnace was installed just before our first trip, as the old one was "offline". We put 7,000 miles on her this summer, and when we returned I started on the repairs that had come up. Fixed some wiring on the Genset, repaired the entry door, removed repaired and replaced the parking brake unit, found the radiator leaking, and I am still in the process of R&R it, plus a 200 Amp Alternator, Waterpump, and Fanclutch, for insurance. Also installed new tires all around For me it's no big thing to fix a few things as I have been a mechanic all my life. The 460 with 87K has tremendous power, and when she dies I have another one waiting to go in.
We love having no payments, being able to come and go as we please, still keeping our home of 40 years.
Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #121
"Vintage vs. new" was never our dilemma. We like vintage,........everything. We even had a vintage wedding (in Tombstone, AZ with all wedding party dressed in 1860s clothes, with guns, our horses, etc.). Our main house on the ranch is a historical site, that used to be Wells Fargo Stage stop, and Sheriff's office (according to the local museum, 13 horse thieves were hanged just outside our back door, on one of the trees that's at least 300 years old, and still going strong). Our house is furnished with high quality 1800s furniture (East Coast style). We have five horses, four dogs, two cats, and spend a lot of time with them.

So when it came about to buy an RV, we knew we want vintage (we can afford the new). "High Line" vintage to be precise. We looked at Prevost, Beaver, Monaco, and Vogue. Since I didn't have ANY experience with MH, I decided to buy 34' 1991 Bounder. Five grand cheap, with 67K on the clock. VERY dirty/trashed inside, but VERY good mechanically. I spent two months remodeling the whole interior (I gutted it out) for 6K (materials/furnishings only, my labor "free"). It came out perfect. Then I buffed/polished/waxed the exterior, and put the new graphics on it, and it turned out great! Took it to ID (2500 miles RT), and AZ (500 miles RT). It performed fabulously. Doing this, I learned a LOT about the Bounder, and MH in general.

Bounder had 460 Ford, and it's a good engine, but it had no power on the grades (when I purchased it I had NO IDEA about the difference between DPs and gassers).

We decided we need "more room", and "more power". We narrowed the search to Prevost and Vogue (40' minimum, 45' would be nicer!). I missed a FABULOUS Prevost in TX, but I drove down there to look at another one that was more in the price range we were looking for. We decided we are not going to finance anything, we will not liquidate any of our existing investments, and we will buy another one for the "spare cash". Prevost in TX was a disappointment, and I drove north to NM. In NM I purchased 40' 1995 Prima Vista, and we couldn't be happier!

We knew that we want solid wood interior (no press boards/no laminate), we wanted leather not plastic, marble and corian, and we didn't want any slides! We were also looking for a quality built coach, strong diesel (350 HP minimum), side radiator, Alison World, and the interior like we used to have on our boat when we lived on the ocean (we live in the mountains now). Prima Vista fulfilled all of our wants (except tag axle, and riveted stainless skin! ), and it will serve well until we find our ultimate.........vintage Prevost (not older than 1996, and not newer than 1999). We want 60 Series Detroit, and all wood interior (no shiny laminate). The one I went to TX to look at (not the "dream" one, but the "other choice"!), lived it's life in MT, and had "cancer". Price was OK, but with rusty chassis, it was not worth it.

So it's vintage for us all the way! Older coaches have charm and character (as mentioned in this thread), that new ones can't duplicate. Same with high end cars! New cars look all alike, and are built for maximum profit before, and ESPECIALLY after the sale ("specialized tools needed", impossible to reach areas to service, "dealer only" parts....all designed to bleed as much money as possible after the sale!).

Oh,....forgot to mention......we also cook in the cast iron pots and pans (all vintage), and drink our morning coffee brewed in the old percolator (if it was good enough for my father, it's good enough for me).

Sorry about the long post.
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #122
Danielsand.... What a great post! I admire your life still and appreciation for all things vintage. We are hanging on to my 1990 DP and nearly through with a major interior remodel.
Mo Fred, South Central Missouri
1990 32' Barth Regency
8.3 CTA Cummins, 4 Speed Allison
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #123

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We took our 82 PA (have had her for going on 6 years) for its first long haul (just short of 2000 miles) one way and had no problems with her. Had a problem with the KarKaddy SS, but nothing with the old gal. A lot of bad weather. I would love a newer interior but the one we got works for us. Get lots of complement's on the shine from the hand wax & buffer removal.
No payments,
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #124
Howdy from snowy Colorado! I have nothing against new but I too am a vintage kind of guy....my wife tells everyone that I'm stuck in the 70's. I've owned a slew of vintage classic cars and am down to just one...my '74 F350 pickup. It's only for car shows now. I've owned and refurbished several Rv, trailers, campers from the '70's. I'm down to the '79 slide in truck camper and the '79 25' class c. Our '97 Aerbus isn't really "vintage" but it does have a certain character and personality, especially with the tag. The interior isn't as cool as the interiors of the Vogues and HR's of the 70's and even 80's with the dark solid woods but it's still cool. It's all original and refurbished to pretty mint and draws a lot of looks and compliments. I'm a guy that just enjoys taking something of diminished value and taking the long, meticulous route of refurbishing it back to showroom original. It's a fun hobby, a stress reliever for me, and I get a lot of satisfaction from seeing the end results and getting a lot of compliments and interest from folks. It's not the cheapest hobby by far but life is short and it makes me happy....plus my wife likes knowing that I'm in the garage tinkering instead of out getting into trouble. Per the groundhog...only 6 more weeks of winter!
'74 F350 44K,'79 11' Mitchell Camper, MINT All Original
'79 Mitchell 25' Class C, 460 46K, MINT All Original
'97 Rexhall Aerbus, 60K, 460, F53, MINT All Original
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 AM   #125
You all who own vintage trailers are so lucky! They have so much more character than the ones out today. My husband and I bought a 2012 Jayco and now I am trying to figure out how to remodel it and make it look vintage inside. I want to start by painting the cabinets...trying to get my courage up. I've already bought some vintage look fabrics to recover the cushions and make curtains. I am jealous of you all!
ctay122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #126
You realize that vintage trailers did not have painted cabinets? They do now because people didn't want to care for the wood.

Nothing is finer than seeing a vintage RV with its perfectly restored or cared-for wood paneling and cabinets.

Plus I love the aluminum windows and vents. So much nicer than today's plastics.

Maybe you can get your vintage look just with fabrics and accessories?

Bill Lynch
wblynch is offline   Reply With Quote