Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

Vintage vs Newer RV

Many of us are hanging on to our vintage RV's because we are in no position or cannot afford the newer ones. Is there any one out there who chooses to keep their vintage RV even though you can easily step up... or how many of us would get rid of our vintage RV for a newer one if we were able?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #2

I could easily afford a new one. I will never do it as I worked too hard for my money to throw it away.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Many of us are hanging on to our vintage RV's because we are in no position or cannot afford the newer ones. Is there any one out there who chooses to keep their vintage RV even though you can easily step up... or how many of us would get rid of our vintage RV for a newer one if we were able?
Whether you have a vintage or newer RV makes no difference to me. When we are in the campground at happy hour I do not see what you are driving. I am looking only at the person talking to me.

There are a number of posters on this forum who make a hobby of restoring vintage rigs. They are interesting people with awesome skills.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
We are happy with this rig.Really the only thing the new ones have are slides and I am no sure that I want a slide.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #5

I and wife went to a RV Show in Kansas City just recently and went through some nice rigs, but none of them seemed to have any character.

They all had some nice amenities, but they weren't what I was wanting.
One thing I did like on these new RVs, was some had an outside cooking area that didn't require removal of interior stove/table and such.

My wife also surprised me in saying that all the new RVs we looked at just didn't have the character our '84 Prowler has. I will say, our Prowler has had some upgrades and mild restoration to it's interior, so maybe that also helped.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I just don't like the paper bag buses that they're putting out now. Just go to an RV show and look at the offerings. Gaudy interiors. Outside TVs. 5 TVs all too high to watch.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:22 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Great subject...

I had to jump in here as well...I suppose we could get another and perhaps I will at some point but you simply can't overlook the "craftsperson" approach to coach building that went into the 80's to early 90's coaches. It was the 90's when the lure of consolidation and economy of scale production and all those destructive forces on craftsmanship started to take hold..production lines certainly existed but each unit maintained a certain individuality and level of focus by the people that built them. That individuality in the coach was a reflection of the individuals that crafted them...crafted being the key word...today the craft is in designing the machines that produce the components and people simply assemble...the same thing every day...if everything is fundamentally the same...then its not individualized and doesn't have that soul we sense in our coaches and TT's.
I encourage vintage RV'ers to look around and grab a few vintage magazines from that period and they are so very different than they are today...content rich...again like our coaches and TT's..they are not glossy...they are RICH...
jmm2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #8

I am sure I am in the minority, but my wife and I prefer twin beds in the MH. They are just easier to walk around and make up. I, too, went to the Kansas City RV Show and did not find any newer trailers or MHs with twin beds. A couple of years ago there was a new Airstream Classic trailer that was just perfect for us, but the $80,000 price tag kind of made me walk away quietly. I like my old '84 Holiday Rambler. It is well built, has never leaked, and provides for us quite well. I would like a newer motor and suspension, but for now, I'll keep her.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #9

I sooooo love my 76 Amerigo Truck Camper. I have an entire year that was dedicated to its re-build/rebirth and a decent amount of money. I would never replace her. And someone would have to offer me a ridiculous amount to sell her (at least 50-60 grand) Now we all know that price is not realistic, so selling will never happen. I could afford probably into the 50-60's range for a new RV, but even that couldn't replace what I have.
wagonqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
well we like all old stuff cars bikes rvs. we like to be diferent. so far we
never saw another coach like ours thats the fun part
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	85854  
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #11

I like the classic stuff grew up camping in my grandparents 77' diplomat MH and 78' holiday rambler imperial fifth wheel. I agree the older stuff had waaaaay more character than what they put out now. Part of me would not mind owning a MH from the late 80's-early nineties. The lines on them are classic. I'm also pretty mechanically inclined...BUT for me I don't want to spend a bunch of time rebuilding, updating, etc when I should be on vacation. There is nothing like new(er) equipment when it comes to toys/recreational stuff. For me there is a sense of accomplishment to have stuff that was made in same decade or close to it. Wash it, wax it, and use it. Not to say there aren't little issues.

I much rather have a rig that only requires routine maintenance, and not have to deal with 25 year old wiring,and obsolete parts. but I love seeing other people with well kept classic rv's.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
As you might notice in some of my other threads, we are the original owners of our 90 1/2 Bounder. Although we have traveled throughout the west, it only has 37,000 original miles. For this reason alone, we would never get rid of it. Another reason is that it has almost always been garaged, so it is in really good condition.

Recently, we have installed solar, which I have documented on our blog at Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets | Preparing for a Full-time RV Lifestyle. Just click on "Solar Project" on any page.

More recently, we have done away with our "walk-around" (not) queen bed, and have built twin beds. Much more useable space, and we're at an age where each having our own bed makes for more room and more restful sleep. And we're still close enough that we can hold hands.

Almost as an afterthought in conjunction with our bedroom remodel, we decided to pull up the minimal carpet in favor of Smartcore vinyl plank flooring. We're close to completing the entire project.

So, no "newer" RV for us. We like ours.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:54 AM   #13

Appreciate all your honest feedback on this topic. I recently had a strong urge to step up into a newer MH and had looked at several, but I just cannot seem to pull the trigger. It's not a question of being able to afford a newer MH. My 1990 DP is one of a kind, custom made for the original owner. I have come to my senses and will hang on to it.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #14

I've been looking at new units with the intent of upgrading this fall. I've seen some really nice units in our size and price range, and the money involved is a trivial matter. Usable space, layout, tank sizes, counter space, number of slides (the fewer the better, 0 would be good) size of sofa's are all factors. And one more, color schemes and patterns. Have yet to find the "This is the one" so will continue looking. In the mean time will continue to enjoy the present unit.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vintage