Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2018, 05:06 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vinyl Ceiling Repair

The vinyl ceiling in the Elandan was wrinkled, sagging, and had shrunk consideranle in some areas. Used a heat gun, welders pliers, a mans slacks hanger to repair it. Slowly heated the areas with heat gun on lowest setting, applied traction to the edges with the hanger and/or welders pliers, maintained traction until vinyl cooled, re-applied spray adhesive. Need to be careful not to over heat or apply to much traction, vinly can tear or distort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181015_102016.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	222736   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181015_101821.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	222737  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181015_111130.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	222738   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181015_125015.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	222739  

wayhilc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 04:57 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm having the same problem in my 82 PA.
I decided to just remove it, the wood paneling under looks pretty nice. No leaks just from condensation.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
i will be removing it from the bed room/as that areahas several rips in it. considering just a good paint job or regular automotive headliner material. did you paint yours or recover
Old 10-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm going too just leave it, the wood grain looks better than the vinyl I think, maybe a coat of clear sealer. Mine has wood slots over the seams and I,m replacing those also a bit bigger.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We have this issue with our Monaco, especially in the bathroom. Funny enough, it's not near the shower, as I would have expected, but in the corner near the closet. It's on my list of things to do, but I have to remove the 1/4-round moulding, in order to stick the vinyl back on, once it's been stretched back out with heat.
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:11 PM   #6

Replacing ceiling

I have a 1992 bounder and the ceiling material has broken loose and is being held up by plastic clips about every 3 or 4'. In between the clips the material sags a Little. Has anyone had any luck and putting up a new vinyl cover material as the original ? The original material seems to have degraded, the padding has separated from the exterior leaving the wood covered with the residue foam rubber making it impossible to glue new material as it will not stick to the residue.
rbkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:11 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
wayhilc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkane View Post
I have a 1992 bounder and the ceiling material has broken loose and is being held up by plastic clips about every 3 or 4'. In between the clips the material sags a Little. Has anyone had any luck and putting up a new vinyl cover material as the original ? The original material seems to have degraded, the padding has separated from the exterior leaving the wood covered with the residue foam rubber making it impossible to glue new material as it will not stick to the residue.
Hello, I havent yet replaced the old vinyl ceiling in mine as yet but getting ready to. I did check to see if a regular automotive headliner repair shop was willing to do and they were, for about 200$ labor cost plus materials which is very reasonable i think. I stuill to plan to do it myself, just because I enjoy that type of challange.
My plan is to pull off all the old vinyl, and the old foam backing. I will scrape off the old foam with a wide blabe plastic putt knife, i should come off very eaisly as it is so degraded. To cut down on the mess, i will cut the botton off of a 1 gallon milk jug, attach a shop vaccumn cleaner hose to the mouth of the jug and vaccumn the debrit as i scrape it off, using a dust mask of course. I have already tried a small section of the above works well to cut down on the mess. I used 80 grit sand paper by hand, and the resuidual foam came right off,agin using the vaccumn to control the mess and air borne debrit.
You can find light weight vinyl on just about any upholstery or cloth web site. I am seriously considering using regulat automotive headliner material, because it is a cloth base, much lighter,and not as prone to shrink and stretch with drastic temp changer rv can endure. I have replced a few car headliners and the cloth based is much easier to work with believe me,and the spray adheive used for them is rather forgiving should you get a wrinkle or bubble while placing it.
I found the esiest way to apply it, due to the size of the pieces you have to work with is to 1) once you have measured the length you need to go from side to side, mark the center of it on both edges, 2) put tic marks of your ceiling that are also on center, 3) apply your adhesive to a small area of the base wood ceiling material starting in the center, line up the tic marks on the cloth with the tic marks on the ceiling, 4) use a very wid plactic putty knife and the palm of your to press the cloth in place, the spry adhesive is very quick to grab and hold thematerial, but is forgiving enough to allow you to pull it lose and resposition it a few times if need, be sure to use the palm of your hand not your fingers as your fingers will leave tracks or groves in the surface. 5) work slowly,always wiping and smoothing in one direction only, DONOT stretch the fabric, simply lay it in place.
It may sound very difficult, but with at least one assistant it is not that hard to do. OH also make sure all hands are always clean,lol . Hope it goes well for you. The price of 200$ plus was for the bed room ceiling only

Tags
air, ceiling, repair, vinyl