Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #1

Vogue Body Seam Question

I am restoring a 1985 Vogue 37 foot diesel pusher. I included a pic of the RV as most folks have no idea what a Vogue is.

Back ground: The vogue has a fiberglass body that is made of panels (side, front, rear, and top). The panels are mounted to each other and held together with screws through an aluminum extrusion. Then a vinyl strip is inserted in the center of the extrusion to hide the screws. I am sure that I am not using the correct terminology, but I hope you understand what I mean. I included a photo of one of the strips on my RV.

My question: I will be repainting the rv and want to paint over these strips. What can I insert in the aluminum extrusions that will hide the screws, but be paintable? I don't think the vinyl will be a stable surface to paint on.

Thanks,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-26 08.09.23.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	131423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vogue.PNG
Views:	102
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	131424  

JSutton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #2

Check with a local auto paint supply shop in your area, I think any of the paints available for the plastic/composite bumpers on almost all cars would work. Probably need to brush on some type of adhesive thats specially made for plastic/vinyl, but then the paint will adhere. Since it's made to be "flexible", it should work.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I know what a vogue is and that is a beauty. I found a type tape that fits into track to cover screws. I found some that is reflective and looks pretty neat at night. I also used it to hide the painted strips that were marred. I all 4 have stuck like a glove and none has fallen off and Its been on the MH going on 5 years. If you wish click on picture to zoom in.
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151006_184821.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	131449  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
You can buy the vinyl in roll's from any RV supplier in many different colors. I replaced all of mine in a older coach as it had started to yellow and was looking bad! Made a big difference with the new installed! Rail!
Old 06-29-2016, 04:51 AM   #5

Can't help you but a lot of us know what a Vogue is.
I actually was looking for a Mitchell's era(1990-1998) Vogue Prima Vista.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:53 AM   #6

If that stuff us what I think it is it is not common trim.

There is a place near Gilroy that has it though.

We looked for years and one place in Fresno told us of the Gilroy source.

They are an om supplier of many things like doors windows trim and many other things.

Search the four for Gilroy trim and you may find previous posts where I led others to find it.

Maybe the thread where the folks re skinned their unit.

The trim is made to be painted and unless you need to remove it do NOT mess with it as it can be brittle and it IS EXPENSIVE.

Clean existing with acetone and steel wool then paint over it.

Looks like gillig chassis too.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:02 AM   #7

Before the Mitchell's took over they used a Crown bus chassis after that it was referred to as a Mitchell chassis as far as I can remember.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #8

As an addendum to this question, is there a butyl tape or any other sealant behind the extruded aluminum piece or between the panel overlap? I am in the process of resealing my Transtar and have a similar seam construction. I am planning on replacing the vinyl cover as the original material is cracked and falling apart or missing in large swaths.
Tidy Tabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Google "RV suppliers" pick one close to you, and go to "RV molding trim" looks like it comes in three colors, white, black, colonial white (off white) and Camco also has it, so any RV store or parts place should have it! Standard length is 25' but if I remember right, you can order it in 50' length's. Hope this helps! Rail!
Old 07-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #10

might be something like this, but it looks smaller:

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0006JLW5W