Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #1

Vogue question

Greetings

Just drove my 1993 35' Vogue Prima Vista 300 hp cummins home from Vegas (1800 miles). Yes, it is the one from eBay. Well, as I was cruising on I15, the front ac cover decided it didn't want to leave the southwest and flew away. Does anyone have a source for replacement covers.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojolo View Post
Greetings
Just drove my 1993 35' Vogue Prima Vista 300 hp cummins home from Vegas (1800 miles). Yes, it is the one from eBay. Well, as I was cruising on I15, the front ac cover decided it didn't want to leave the southwest and flew away. Does anyone have a source for replacement covers.
Thanks
Rojolo
What make and model is the air conditioner?

Old 04-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
CONGRATS!!!!

Super nice rig and glad it went well on the way home...AC cover for yours are probably the Penguin by Dometic...its a low-pro unit...Icondirect.com is a good unit...heavier duty than the ones I saw at CW...
Have you put some new pics up yet?
jmm2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #4

mel s

Sorry there are no identifying marks on the unit.

Jimm2020

Thanks for the info. I'll be posting pics soon. Man, I feel so low while driving my 06 Dodge 2500 now.

cheers
Old 04-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojolo View Post
mel s
Sorry there are no identifying marks on the unit.
Rojolo
Did you remove the inside ceiling/filter shroud and look on the inside of it... or up into the air condtioner from the bottom?
Mine has a paper label inside the ceiling shroud.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #6

You have a Penguin, Coleman or a Dometric(old style or new style). If you go to ICON they have pictures of the types of units available for your year and style of A/C Shroud.

I picked up a "old style" Dometric from Amazon just recently for my '84 Prowler for a lot less than others were asking.

If yours is the old style Dometric, the new shrouds WON'T have the grey lower band, but do have the extra 2-4" extra height needed to properly fit and holes on shroud are predrilled, to match the units mount, so you're not guessing where to install screws.

The shroud I ordered also enclosed the A/C cooling radiator for extra bug, weather protection and strength.

Also, if you're like me, you'll want to get some new sheet metal screws(stainless--no rust) the next size larger, to give a good tight fit in holes that might be worn out. I also installed some fender washers to give a better hold onto the plastic shroud over just those small headed screws.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Rojolo
Did you remove the inside ceiling/filter shroud and look on the inside of it... or up into the air condtioner from the bottom?
Mine has a paper label inside the ceiling shroud.
Mel
'96 Safari
Ah, I will have to take it apart and have a look. Thanks
Old 04-30-2015, 07:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoEagle10 View Post
You have a Penguin, Coleman or a Dometric(old style or new style). If you go to ICON they have pictures of the types of units available for your year and style of A/C Shroud.

I picked up a "old style" Dometric from Amazon just recently for my '84 Prowler for a lot less than others were asking.

If yours is the old style Dometric, the new shrouds WON'T have the grey lower band, but do have the extra 2-4" extra height needed to properly fit and holes on shroud are predrilled, to match the units mount, so you're not guessing where to install screws.

The shroud I ordered also enclosed the A/C cooling radiator for extra bug, weather protection and strength.

Also, if you're like me, you'll want to get some new sheet metal screws(stainless--no rust) the next size larger, to give a good tight fit in holes that might be worn out. I also installed some fender washers to give a better hold onto the plastic shroud over just those small headed screws.
I'll go online and see what matches up with the remaining shroud. I did a rough measurement with my foot (which happens to be = 12 inches ) so I will see what's available.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #9

The ICON Penguin Dometic Duo Therm Air Conditioner Shroud shroud is a perfect fit!

The other shroud is all cracked and has pieces missing so i will be doing a preemptive replacement as well.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #10

In case you plan to keep the rig for a few years; consider painting your new shrouds to protect them from UV (its what damages all plastics eventually). One of the plastic fusion paints in a matching white or almond takes only a few minutes and really extends the life of those expensive plastic parts!
Old 05-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
In case you plan to keep the rig for a few years; consider painting your new shrouds to protect them from UV (its what damages all plastics eventually). One of the plastic fusion paints in a matching white or almond takes only a few minutes and really extends the life of those expensive plastic parts!
HoneyBadger
That's right.
My one of my 2 unpainted air conditioner shrouds lasted ONLY 16 years, (before a hail stone punched a hole in it).
BTW, the other one is 19 years old.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #12

Unhappy

Update -

I have been taking care of all the neglected maintenance but my new problem is the transmission will not shift - MT647. I thankfully got it home in its storage position before is revealed itself, but now it is stuck in drive. When the air pressure bleeds down overnight, I am able to get under the rv and move it into Neutral so I can start it but after the pressure builds it goes back into drive.

any thoughts?

cheers
Old 09-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #13

additional info - it is a Stone Bennett air shifter and bet it is full of junk as one of the leaky air hoses that was just replaced went to the shifter - Now i get to tear into it !
Old 09-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Yea if it's holding pressure and not allowing you to even move the selector then the bypass is going to be hung...I had some wiring, mainly faulty ground issue with mine but I could always hop underneath and make a selection...it's a very low and short pressure burst I know that...it's a shift and release...I know ours are right off garbage and fire trucks so parts should be abundant anyway....good luck and keep us updated....

jmm2020 is offline   Reply With Quote