Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Send a message via MSN to wlgray
Thumbs up Walter's Rebuild(From the Frame Up)

Hello and thanks to all of you with the nice responses to my introduction. I will try and get pics up that we took when I brought the beast home.

My new baby is a 1985 Elandan with 40k on the odometer. It developed a leak 9 years ago and the owner just parked it in a field. My dad and uncle acquired it to scrap for the metal, and they did some damage to it before I halted their progress.

So far here is my procedure.

1. Pressure washed the outside.
2. re-installed the windows
3. Cranked the motor(using the battery that came with it. after some water and charging.
4. Drove it around the yard.
5. Repaired the plumbing
6. Epoxied and fixed the fairing pieces around the bottom.
7. Re-installed the generator and cranked it up.
8. Lit the hot water heater(owner left a full tank of propane)
9. Lit the stove
10. Got the interior lights working.

Questions I have
1. Where are the charging ports for the Engine AC
2. Why does the generator not run when disconnected from the battery.
3. Anybody know of a fantastic salvage yard in FL that ships parts.

I will post pics this weekend.

Thanks for your help in advance

--Walter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
OK, The roof is off. And here are some pictures.

Walter's New RV

Also, fixed the Micro.Convection today.

Next is to finish getting all of the stuff from the inside and then remove the floor.

Should have the rest of the walls out tomorrow.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I really want to see this one when it's done, and along the way keep posting pictures.
J
Old 05-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You're my hero...What a project, I love to tear things apart and rebuild, but wow! Keep the faith and keep us up to date..
Old 05-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #5

i bet your ac ports to charge are on top of the compressor
unless you have r-12 buy r-12a i put in mine it mixes with r-12 or r-134 it is colder than the old r-12
dave
Old 05-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
I already have r-134 conversion kit. Going to do it today or tomorrow..
Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Found me an ac unit and an Awning

Man told me about some old campers that were just sitting there. Talked to the man and all he wants is the frames for scrap. Got an ac brought it home. Man said it had probably been setting for 13 to 15 years. fired right up and cools like crazy. Awning looks like new only missing a mounting foot. Now gotta save some money for a roof. Should I go with Metal, Rubber or Fiberglass?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
This weekend

After a good thunderstorm that ripped off my Tarp, I am going to modify my Carport to house the winnie. Got to raise it up 2 feet then I can work without worry.
Got the door latch in for the Microwave today. Will get it installed then that can be put aside.
Will have the ac switch in next week. But just to let you all know it will be another month before I can start buying materials.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mr. Goldwinger!!

Long time since we spoke! I have had my Hurricane Haven back now and we have been taking it to softball tournaments. It runs and drives like new!! I had forgotten to update you. On Walter's "new baby:" He is one brave soul!! I only wish I knew how to do any of the projects he is about to undertake. I can't wait to see it when it is done!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #10

I suggest TPO roofing which is sort of like a super heavy duty rubber roof used on commercial buildings. It is easily formed around projections like a short curb lip for the AC and plumbing vents. Check w/local commercial roof outfits about ordering. They may direct you to Firestone, a major maker of the roof sheeting and accessories for info about detailing the edges for a proper seal.
I read someplace about outfits doing RV re-roofing w/TPO, and it would be my choice if replacing a rubber roof.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Got a different approach

I went over alot of options, but my dad has been building boats for about 45 years. We looked at it and we're going to fiberglass the joints and the roof connection as well as all if the nails/screws. Then we are going to put on generous coats of Gel Coat. Once that has all dried and ready we will then seal around the fixtures and things. The Arch of the roof Should shed water so we don't have any standing and the deck on top will stop us from walking on it.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:06 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshak View Post
Mr. Goldwinger!!

Long time since we spoke! I have had my Hurricane Haven back now and we have been taking it to softball tournaments. It runs and drives like new!! I had forgotten to update you. On Walter's "new baby:" He is one brave soul!! I only wish I knew how to do any of the projects he is about to undertake. I can't wait to see it when it is done!
I'm glad that you are enjoying you rig. My grand daughter plays soccer and on the long days the MH is the perfect item to bring along. When I saw Walter's roof totally off, I was amazed. Anything can be done. I re-started RVing with a roof damaged RV way back in '92. A lot of people thought I would give up and junk it. I fixed it, used it a lot, sold it to a newbie, he used it for two years and moved up.
Now my '92 project has gone to another newbie with a small family. The running gear was always dependable.
Old '76 Dodge, 360 eng., 727 trans. BULLETPROOF!
Sailshak and Walter have lots of fun!
J
Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
How are things going with the rebuild, get the roof back on?

I just purchased a 1985 Elandan 32' with 90K miles while not free, it was so cheap I couldn't pass it up, even though I already have my EMC Starfire. This Elandan is all original inside & out, everything major works, including the hydraulic levelers. It needs refreshing, as picture shows on the outside, and i will do some updating/upgrading on the inside. The bad thing is that it has had previous roof leaking issues in a few areas that were stopped by the previous owner, but all in a crude manner, so the entire roof need to be recoated at the very least.

I am curious to see what you ended up doing with your roof etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1985Elandan1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	5202  

Tags
elandan, rebuild, remodel, winnie