Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #15

We put over 5,000 miles on our Bounder (it now sits at 9200 miles) from November to present. The only problem we encountered was having to replace our house batteries. Now we did do some upgrades along the way, but they were elective and not problematic issues.

We have had many folks comment on how gorgeous our old Bounder is and I also find myself complimenting other owners of older MH's that obviously have been well cared for! But, man there are some dogs out there for sure. LOL

PS: We have to replace the generator starter, but that was operator error!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 02:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post

But, man there are some dogs out there for sure. LOL
Hey... I resemble that remark!

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:36 AM   #17

We only put about 12,000 miles on our 1973 GMC last year. We are way behind this year because one of us wanted to be near home for the arrival of a granddaughter.

If properly cared for, there is no reason a vintage or even antique RV cannot be completely reliable. And, they cost a lot less than new.

With the age you are looking at, you can pay people to work on the chassis parts, they will be the same as many trucks that are still in service. If it has ANY water leaks, give them very high priority and get them stopped or they have the potential to destroy your coach in a year or less. Do the interior and coach work yourself. Even if you have to do it twice, it will be more cost effective and the work will be to your satisfaction. Buy what tools you need when you need them. If you consider what it will cost if someone else is paid to do the work....

A suggestion - Collect all the service data you can find for that chassis and any installed equipment and carry it along. Also carry anticipated possible spares, but not too many as a CBB is still in most store's books. Particularly, I mean belts. If you can bet that you can buy it in a common parts store, don't carry it.

We did have a problem this year, but we got the required parts and information and were only held up a couple of days and were going again on Monday.

Matt
Old 07-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I dont know how you define vintage but we have had a 91 a 92 and now a 96. All dp's. All required some work on my part and the 96 some diesel shop repairs. We travel a minimum of 4,000 miles a year, snowbirds, but have done Alaska in one coach. If you aren't mechanically inclined a old coach could be very expensive.
I have found that talking to the owner of the coach you want will give you a feel for how they have treated the coach and you should look for all manuals and hopefully service and repair records.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:57 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
We have had a 199 National Tradewinds since 2007 and do about 6K miles per year. I have it serviced once a year in the spring and have had very few problems. In fact I have been surprised how trouble free it is in the spring when I wake it up from the winter layover. Your decision really depends on the specific coach you buy. Be sure what you buy has service records and has no leaks in the roof. Search foe delamination and ill fitting windows and doors. I wrote down all the OEM model numbers and made sure parts were still available. A Diesel will hold up to moderate use better than a gasser. We have a LP Generator that costs a bit more to run but doesn't require flushing and cleaning the fuel system between trips. Gasoline has a habit of gumming up when it sits for extended periods of time. Diesel and LP Gas doesn't. I keep the fuel tank topped off when it's sitting and have had no problems with condensation in the tank.

Dick
Old 07-31-2015, 09:06 AM   #20

Vintage is no problem, just find the right one.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'll jump on the band wagon go for it,
I would,
That is after I replaced the tires. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
1982 Pace Arrow every thing works, 53,000 miles 300 hours on the genie. Just keep a eye open before it get's out of hand.
Sure a new one would be nice but we are really happy with her. Take her anywhere.
Go for it
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:29 AM   #22
bap

have you thought about a vintage tt, and tow it with a modern tv.-----just a thought..
Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 PM   #23

I love vintage stuff and have owned a fair number of vehicles and RV's as a hobby. I like to restore them to original. It's very rewarding when people come up and ask about them. It happens all the time with my RV's and people constantly make offers. They do take a fair amount of work to keep them perfect but it's a labor of love relationship. In your case, I would recommend something with fuel injection and overdrive for all of the reasons already mentioned. It will be more enjoyable for you. The key is to do your research and then really wait for the right one to come along. There are a lot of things to look for in a solid RV but also trust your instincts too. I've passed on a hundred vehicles and RV's based upon my instincts and it's always paid off over the past 35 years. I've never been stuck with a lemon or money pit yet. Good luck and keep us posted with your decision!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, vintage