Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:10 PM   #1
Was it PEX in 1997 or some other material?

I have a 97 vectra by Winnebago, and all of the my water lines are the grey plastic line with the stripe to indicate hot or cold (Red or blue), the fittings are the threaded style that require no tools and are designed to be twisted by hand to take the plumbing apart. Each threaded fitting has a rubber tube ferrel that seals the connection without the need for thread tape. I would love to change much of it out to modern crimp pex but I dont want to take the walls apart.

My issue is the gold shower head stem pipe that goes into the wall, it is leaking into the wall and that rubber Ferrel has been twisted and I need a new one. I would change it out to another type of connector but I would need to take the wall apart to do that since it uses a "Drop ear" connector that is screwed to the framing inside the wall.

Any thoughts on what that type of plumbing was called so I can look for parts? Was it mobile home technology?

Vectraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #2

You have polybutylene, commonly known as Qest. While SharkBite fittings are not approved for use with it, they do work.

nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
Thanks but I cannot change the 90 connector inside the wall and must find a new union or fitting to get a new rubber ferrule To fix this leak. I have enough PEX parts and tools to plumb a house but I would need to take apart a wall or do a heavy mod to change this existing connection since the 90 is screwed to the inside of the shower wall and we leave next weekend and I still have other repairs to make.
1996 Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour 35WQ-P
5.9 6bt 12 valve MD3060/6
Old 05-26-2015, 06:11 AM   #4
They actually make Sharkbite/gator adapters for poly and I found them at our local H depot. Very expensive but quick. I have one on hand with a valve in case I have to cut a line in an emergency.

Sounds like you're way better at this than I am but pictures might help.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
It's polybutylene.

Municipal water supplies with a high chlorine content make it brittle and split. It also has poor freeze resistance.

There was a class action suit against the manufacturer, and it's mostly been replaced in homes. No such luck with RV's.

There are PEX to PB unions available at Home Depot. Keep a couple on hand with some spare PEX pipe and fittings.
1992 Four Winds 29'
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
Thanks but I would give $20 for a quest compression connector of the correct diameter so I could steal the rubber grip ring from it., a .02 cent piece of rubber.
I just cant get to the 90 fitting thats mounted to the inside of the wall.

To change the 90 and mount a new PEX ready one properly I will need to cut a hole in a cherry vectra grand tour diesel and I just dont have the heart to do that. The wife says just cut a hole and hang a clock over it.
I guess I will go to the big box hardware stores and look for a threaded compression fitting for quest pipe and keep my fingers crossed.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
Well. Big Box hardware does not carry them, but Camping world keeps a few fittings in stock so I bought one and used the seal out of it...then it split. I think the plastic drop ear shower stem fitting was cracked so I just changed out to pex and used metal fittings. We got lucky on a method to hold the shower head stem tight to the wall.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #8
Can you get the fixtures out so you can pull a new line in?

Or maybe add an art piece to the opposite wall if inside?

Ours has clever art placements that are service panels so to soeak...you may be able to get creative if needed.

Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote