Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #1

If I do not to any drycamping (roughing it for me is hookups and hot showers), Is there any reason why I could not use 1 large waste tank for both black and gray water? Both of my tanks are split and I am trying to figure what would be the best and easiest way to replace them.

thanks
Steve.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #2

If I do not to any drycamping (roughing it for me is hookups and hot showers), Is there any reason why I could not use 1 large waste tank for both black and gray water? Both of my tanks are split and I am trying to figure what would be the best and easiest way to replace them.

thanks
Steve.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:14 PM   #3

How is your shower plumbed?? My grey tank will back up into my shower floor when it is very full... this is pretty nasty. I would hate to have the waste tank doing that. On the other hand, I have thought about dedicating the current grey tank to the shower and rebuilding my black tank (larger) and piping the sink drains to the black tank. I have very, very small holding tanks (18 gal each). While hooked to a sewer connection, I leave the grey tank valve open (only I use the shower) and dump the black tank every 3 or 4 days. This hads worked okay so far... I have gotten to the point to where I really just want to get a place to put the bus under roof and work on it instead of the class C... I want REALLY BIG holding tanks!!!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:50 PM   #4

You really want your black tank seperate. If you have to use them on the road at all, you run the risk of the water in the P traps splashing out (into teh tank, of course) and leaving that air vent open, right into your home. With all of the sinks, and the shower going to the grey, you only have to plug up the toilet to prevent this from happening. Add to this that even while camped, you should keep the black tank closed until you have it full enough to dump (3/4 at least to be sure you have enough flow to pull *everything* out. . .), running your sinks into it means that you have to dump it much more often.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
I used to have a old,[72], Winnebago that had a single tank for both black and grey and the bathroom would smell like poop all the time when I went down the road, even when it was empty and had a quart of that perfume stuff with that blue dye. I would have to have the back windows open when going down the road to keep me from barfing while going down the road. Another thing, get yourself a sponge ball to keep your potty from "breathing"!!! My old potty was one that you pulled a handle to turn a Ball that would flush the potty. The newer ones like we have now are the flush type and they let the water drop and then the fumes will try and run ya out of the home. The ball acts like that old style ball and even if the water drops the ball will keep the fumes down to mainly the bathroom. I put a piece of plastic thru it to give me a handle.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:07 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
In 1974 it was common for KIT Kampers to have a single combined waste tank. The solution to back splash and vapors is that they also put in two dump valves and plumbed the grey water so that it back feeds into the tank so that you can close off the tank and use it for black only if you wish and divert the grey off and away from the camper, which is what I tend to do. I built a 30 gallon grey tank onto my trailer (Out of an old camper fresh tank) and hae a little $15 bilge pump that screws onto the end of my drain out cap on my sewer line. Its got a switch inside that when flipped one way causes it to cycle whenever the fresh water pump cycles, and the other direction switches it to constant on (Used for when I empty out the soapy water from the dishes and want to make certain it doesn't backup into the shower.)
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #7

I have been offline for awhile and I am just getting back to it. We don't use the shower in the MH so it was removed in the remodel. I really only have the two sink drains going to grey water so My thought was to remove the two busted tanks and replace with one large (40-50 gallon) tank. Most of our trips are just over the weekend so I was hoping this would get me down to one or two dumps even with greywater going into the blackwater tank. Maybe if I put stoppers in the sinks while traveling it would keep the fumes down?? Anyway thanks to all for the input.

Steve.