Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #1

Water Heater Leak

I have 1989 30' Pace Arrow. I believe I have a leak on or near the water heater. How do I disconnect the water supply pipes and propane tube so that I can remove the water heater to check for leaks? Thanks for any help.
fpg364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well, . . . it depends on what type of leak you are talking about. I'm going to assume you're talking about a plumbing leak. If that's the case, you do not want to disconnect anything or remove the water heater to find it. You need to leave the system intact so you can pressurize it to locate the leak.

If you're talking about a leak due to weather/rain, then disregard the above.

I'm not trying to be offensive, but if you are as clueless about plumbing and propane systems as your original post suggests, I think you should leave the job to a professional.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #3

I have emptied the water heater, re-filled the fresh water tank, re-pressurised it, turned on the pump, run hot and cold water, flushed the toilet several times, and the leak does not materialize. Any other suggestions from somebody else? Thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
fpg364, after doing what you have just completed. Turn on the hot water heater and remove the outside vent to the hot water heater. After the hot water reaches the normal temp. Check to see if the pressure releif valve is leaking.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #5

Water Heater leak

Thank You for your quick response. I have checked the P/T valve and it does not leak. The water leak that I referred to in my original message is on the floor next to the water heater in the interior of the motor home. The water heater backs into the bathroom vanity, underneath the top drawer. After removing the drawer, I can see the hot water inlet to the w/h it has a shroud around it, but no evidence of moisture. Thank You, (i too am in So-Cal).
Old 07-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Intermittent leaking from a pressure relief valve is common. REplacing the valve is easy-----I did mine----but I cannot remember exactly where I got my replacement but I seem to recall having to go to a dealer as none at Lowes fit properly (or were the same length). Another person countered that saying you can get them there---so just check if that is what you need.

It might help if you describe where the leak is coming from---the front---the back---out the side of the HWH compartment? IN use--out of use----for the most part from the test you have done so far the pressure valve seems most likely.

What kind of water heater is it---maybe someone can send you a manual that describes the removal process if the leak reappears----if you help us we will try our best to help you.

REmoval is generally not a huge problem but I really only know how mine is installed---we can move to that if you still find a leak. Good Luck--we wish you well.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #7

My previous blog describes where I've seen the evidence of the leaks, (on the carpet, left side of w/h) the make of the w/h is: Atwood G6A/8E. Thank you guys for your help.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Atwood G6A-8E RV WATER HEATER G6a8e

I found a video on this site that tells how to remove this water heater--maybe it can be a clue to you.

Hope it helps
Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to johnnytugs1 Send a message via Yahoo to johnnytugs1
here are some pics of mine. it wasn't difficult at all to get to or to remove.

I have a 1977 class "c" and it's under the bench seat. I shut off the water, blew out the lines, drained the hw tank. diconnected the waterlines, gas line and then removed it from the outside. try not to disassemble it like i did if it's not necessary.
JT
johnnytugs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #10

Johnnytugs1; Thank you for the pictures of your water heater. I removed mine yesterday, but found no evidence of water on the shroud enveloping the tank. (I will examine it closely, try not to disturb the insulation and cover jacket). I did however saw that the floor was wet right below the heater. This morning I will connect the cold line into the hot line, reinstall the toilet, (which I also removed for better access), leave the propane on OFF, and check it again after I pressurise the water system. Hopefully I'll be able to fix this bugger!!!! Thanks again. PS any and all suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Had a leak in Suburban WH in 1982 Midas Class C. Right under tank. Removed tank and tank was rusted pretty bad. Cleaned outside, grinding and sanding. Sealed visible holes with epoxy and screws. Then fiber-glassed all of tank. Forming a new outside of tank that would maybe hold when the next rust-thru occurred. Has lasted 7 years and counting. Being without funds leads to inventiveness. (necessity). ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #12

This message is to thank Okie-Dokie, Johnnytugs1, njs42 and ronspradley, for your help, tips, suggestions and pictures with my hot water tank leak. By removing the w/h tank and looping the hot and cold supply lines and pressurizing the system, I was able to find the leak. It was located directly underneath the pedestal in which the tank sits. By removing the w/h tank I was able to access the leaky fitting and thus repair it. Thanks again guys!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congratulations-----I knew you could do it!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Job well done Gets you that warm and fuzzy feeling......ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote