Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Exclamation Water Heater Question

Hi everyone!
Yesterday we pulled into the SF RV Park in Pacifica, CA & hooked up. We plugged in to 30Amp service, water & sewer & noticed that we had hot water without having turned on the switch for the hot water heater. Now we woke up this morning, had coffee and breakfast & when the maid went to do the dishes, no hot water!?! Now, we've turned on the hot water heater switch but really wonder if you can have a combo gas/electric water heater that auto switches depending on if you're plugged in or not. By the way, yesterday it was raining but today, sunny!! BTW, this is a great pet friendly RV park overlooking the pacific ocean. Link: San Francisco RV Resort - RESORT

Thanks everyone!!

Jim, Lori & Merlin the Shih Tzu (I swear he's an Ewok from Star Wars)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #2

Is it possible you have a radiator assist hot water heater? Several hot water heaters are designed to be plumbed to the motor coolant system to circulate hot coolant around the heater so you have hot water while under way. I have that as an assist to my room temperature. Keeps the back of the coach warm while on the road.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
Is it possible you have a radiator assist hot water heater? Several hot water heaters are designed to be plumbed to the motor coolant system to circulate hot coolant around the heater so you have hot water while under way. I have that as an assist to my room temperature. Keeps the back of the coach warm while on the road.
YUP - our '88 Winnie has the engine coolant flow plumbed thru the hot water heater - nice feature!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

My 88 winnie does also, so did my '94 Airstream, as did my 1999 Rialta. Well my Winnie did, doesn't now. When I first picked it up and driving it home, the pipes leading from the engine to to the heater sprung a leak, big leak.. Had a local (well local to where I was) repair shop bypass the system at the engine. So now when I want hot water, I flip the switch and wait a few minutes. No big deal.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
YUP - our '88 Winnie has the engine coolant flow plumbed thru the hot water heater - nice feature!
Really? Thats actually pretty cool... Wonder if GS decided to do that in '89??

Prolly not..
Old 02-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Really? Thats actually pretty cool... Wonder if GS decided to do that in '89??

Prolly not..
Was pretty easy in the Winnie - there is also a coolant type space heater at the rear bedroom in that same engine coolant flow line, like the typical vehicle under-dash heater, the fan control for the rear heater is on the dash - pretty nice if traveling in cold weather and heat is wanted to rear of the MH.

I suppose that if engine overheating was an issue in steep grades, the extra coolant volume and flow MIGHT provide a bit of extra engine cooling as well - not an issue in our P32/454 based '88 Winnie, it runs quite cool in all situations.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
My 2008 Winnebago Sightseer has this feature. It's called Motoraid/autoheater. It includes engine coolant piped to the water heater and a heater installed under the toilet pedestal. The heater has forced air outlets in the hallway and the bedroom to heat the back of the coach. There's a switch on the dashboard to control fan speed.
Both of these features are really nice to have for winter camping. Get the back of the coach warm and get a jump start on the hot water.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Was pretty easy in the Winnie - there is also a coolant type space heater at the rear bedroom in that same engine coolant flow line, like the typical vehicle under-dash heater, the fan control for the rear heater is on the dash - pretty nice if traveling in cold weather and heat is wanted to rear of the MH.
Did you add this yourself or was it OEM? Anyway to add it to a MH?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Read post #7, just above yours.

It's OEM...

When I said it was pretty easy, I meant for the manufacturer - the lines were already there for the other feature anyway, so easy to provide both extras...
Old 02-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Jim,

As stated in my previous post my winnie HAD the motoraid until the 22 year oldmetal pipes sprung a leak and now both the wh and aux heater are bypassed. But to your question... The Atwood wh installed in the MH is pre-plumbed for the connections and is just a matter of running heater hose from the engine to the wh.

Tom
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Jim,

As stated in my previous post my winnie HAD the motoraid until the 22 year oldmetal pipes sprung a leak and now both the wh and aux heater are bypassed. But to your question... The Atwood wh installed in the MH is pre-plumbed for the connections and is just a matter of running heater hose from the engine to the wh.

Tom
Thanks Tom
Old 03-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #12

Quote:
A hot water heater hmmmm. Why in the world do want to heat hot water??
They are WATER HEATERS!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Pet peeve much?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post

Point taken. As a teacher, usually I'm the one that finds the errors in one's text, but you are right, you don't need to heat hot water.

No offense taken, and I'll remember the next time I talk about water heaters. (See, I'm a quick learner!)

Tags
water heater