Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #1

Water heater trouble

Help,I'm having trouble with my water heater in my 1989 mobile traveler 30' class A.Its an american appliance .that is the only mfg tag I can find.When it goes on it will shut off three times then maybe it will start and keep working.sometimes I have to turn it off and start it over again and then it will keep going .Also the flame is sputtering and nothing I do will make a steady flame.It is a 6 gallon tank and the water is very hot.Thanks
biker art is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
My water heater did something like that. I took off and cleaned the spider cobwebs out of the burner tube. That fixed mine. Hope this helps.

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #3

My heater is clean and the nozzle hole is clear .I'm thinking maybe the regulator valve?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume it is a Direct Spark Ignition type (As opposed to a pilot light type) What you describe is a flame sensor issue.

There is a rod, that is heated by the flame, Depending on the control system it may also be one of the ignition "points" inside the burner assembly.

If the burner is actually lighting (you feel hot exhaust) then shutting off it means the control board is not detecting the heat (Flame) via the thermocouple.

This could be due to dirt build up on the Thermocouple insulating it to the point where it does not get hot enough fast enough (Or so I'm told)

It may be due to a poor electrical connection, either ground or between the sensor and the control board.

On my furnace it was the board.

IF... It turns out to be the board... Contact Dinosaur Boards, IF, and that's a big IF, they make a boad for your unit (And you can identify it well enough for them to figure out which one it is) They make very good, very well buit boards. Lower cost too, kind of poofs the "Made in china is cheeper" folks since thy make here in USA far as I know.

When I say cheaper. Think 100/250ths. (That's Their price/Attwood's on the board I needed when I needed it. Prices subject to change or differences depending on the board you need.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #5

Thanks I will check it out .I'm going to remove the burner and check the igniter for corrosion .If its dirty i'll wire brush it clean also I'll check for ground
Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #6

All fixed.All I had to do was remove the burner and wire brush the thermocouple and igniter .Made sure it was good and clean ,put it back in and it is working first time with no interuption.It stays on untin the water is hot and shuts off.Great and Thanks

Tags
heater, water