Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2015, 11:50 PM   #1

Water Supply Line Leak -- Valve?

1986 Winnebago Chieftain 27RT

I am re-doing an old RV and today the water pump came on and kept running. I suspected a leak, and there was a steady stream of water coming from underneath. On the inside it's in the supply line from the water pump that goes to the kitchen cold water faucet, and right under what I assume is a shut-off valve? Or is it some kind of drain valve? It's cemented to the floor, so I can't see what's on the bottom side of it. There is very little water on the floor itself and a clean, steady stream underneath. It's the one at the bottom in the photo:

alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2015, 04:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regardless of what it is, it should not be wet on the floor. I have to wonder if what your seeing is a sealant to prevent critter intrusion into the coach, not a cement to hold the water lines down. You should clean around the wet area and see just where the water is coming from. In some cases it may need a little tightening on the fitting itself, or a cracked fitting. If the steady stream of water is coming from a drain there has to be a valve to close the drain, The drain would be for water tank emptying. Hope this helps.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #3

Yes they are valves that let you drain your system. You can see that they are screwed down and yes they are also sealed down also where the drain tube is going through the floor. Unscrew the loosen the sealant and lift it up to see where it may be leaking. Like said may be loose and need tightened. Some time you can pull the drain ring up and push it back down and see if it reseals. Hope that helps.
cook elandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:00 AM   #4

I worked the valve open and closed a few times and the pump doesn't shut off. I ran water through all the lines and faucets to remove any air and the pump doesn't shut off. However the closest valve is now leaking. I'm guessing that as the pump runs, it's over pressurizing the line and the water is leaking from the connections. This means the issue is with the pump and the pressure switch to determine when to stop the pump is malfunctioning.

Does anyone know how it's put together?
Old 11-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #5

They are drain valves. They have o rings in them that go bad and need replacing .
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #6

I'm going to replace the valve with a piece of tubing and hold it in place with a couple of hose clamps. If the pump still doesn't shut off, I'll see if I can figure how take it apart.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #7

I have a surflow pump, it has a limit switch on the top of the housing. It just has a few screws on the top that lets you take it apart. you are able to buy rebuild kits for them. one of the membrains may be leaking back and not letting the system to pressure up to trip the limit switch. make sure that the wires are all connected to the pump. you could disconnect the hose from the side of the pump and put a plug on it and see if it will pressure up and shut off. if it does then you have a leak some where else in the system. if not the problem could be pump related.
cook elandan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water