Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #1

Water system question 1975 Ideal TT

I am new here (and new to rvs!) and am not sure where to post this question so here it is. My water pump is leaking but I am not sure why. I was connected to "city water" and have not yet used any of my 12v system. according to everything I have found online and in all the original documentation I was lucky to get with the trailer, the water should not even be going through the pump when on city water :/ It seems easy enough to replace the pump but is that the real problem? ps: I am not super handy but am working on that lol

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Very likely a one way (check valve) is not holding the pressure and allowing water to back up into the water pump. You could try putting vinegar in the lines and hope it dissolves any deposits blocking the valve open, but putting a new pump on your repair list is very likely. It's leaking, so it should be rebuilt or replaced to prevent moisture damage.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 AM   #3

thank you! I thought that must be it but have not found any mention of this mystery valve, do you know where I might find it?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:04 AM   #4

i haven't removed the old pump yet. The bed platform seems to not open but i did remove cabinet doors and can reach it easily. I've been busy researching the toilet. It seems that I ruined a very important seal while trying to deal with a toilet paper clog :/ kinda sad about that. 40 yr old plastic i just hope i don't break something else trying to fix that lol
Old 03-21-2016, 07:04 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiD View Post
i haven't removed the old pump yet. The bed platform seems to not open but i did remove cabinet doors and can reach it easily. I've been busy researching the toilet. It seems that I ruined a very important seal while trying to deal with a toilet paper clog :/ kinda sad about that. 40 yr old plastic i just hope i don't break something else trying to fix that lol
I hope it was the floor seal and not the seal inside of the toilet. The check valve is part of the pump housing. If it is leaking onto the floor than it is cracked (not winterized correctly?) or a loose fitting.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
The check valve could be built in or right at the pump. They often just look like a part of the fitting connecting the hose to the pump.

Google your toilet make and model and see if replacement parts are still available.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #7

thank you both and Lifemember sadly it was the seal that keeps water in the bowl and odors out of the trailer :(

my brother and another friend have offered pumps that they happen to have so I am waiting until one appears before removing the old one as if we HAD to we could use the water system for a few minutes with a towel on the floor lol.

I did google re toilet parts. a seal is only $8 but should probably change the 40 year old mechanism spring while in there and those don't seem to be so easy to find. I watched several youtube videos about replacing the seal! wow! Now that I don't have to buy a new pump I actually considered a new toilet. They seem to be reasonable and I am not super handy :/ Trying to picture myself dismantling this toilet without breaking any of the 40 year old plastic seems, well, I priced a new one lol
Old 03-22-2016, 01:26 AM   #8

I met a friend of a friend who is retired from the Forest Service. Said he has lived full time in a trailer for decades and would be happy yo come check out my place! I really would love someone to "show me around the place." I haven't hooked up gas yet and have only opened the battery door once to see that I do have a battery lol. We are already moved into it but until I get everything together and working am parked next to a house for bathroom/kitchen access. I am anxious to be able to move to sweet spot for the summer!
Thank you all for the advice lol I really know nothing other than I am no longer paying for or maintaining a 1700sq ft house I don't even have tools anymore, I will buy a small wrench kit tomorrow and borrow a driver from a friend.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:48 AM   #9

Your water pump internal check valve (just a diaphragm) is leaking allowing city water to flow back thru pump into fresh water tank and overflowing it if left on long enough
Your 40 yr old pump is obsolete/discontinued and no parts for rebuild available.

Just replace it with one of the pumps from your brother or friend. Then run it checking its operation.

Toilet.....
40 yr old!!

Best to remove from floor flange and remove to outside so that you can have ample room to work on it and thoroughly clean top to bottom.
But by time to locate/order parts IF available might just be easier to replace with new toilet/

Good luck........and take that friend of a friend up on the Full Timers HELP

HINT:
GO thru rig and write down appliances BRAND/MODEL
Fridge, A/C Unit, Furnace, Water Heater, Stove/oven, Converter, ETC. Goggle search Brand/Model for 'service manuals' then print them out and make your own 'Owners Manual'

Also-----replace/ADD (THey have a shelf life of only 5-7 yrs)
LP Detector
CO Detector
Smoke Alarm(s)
Old 03-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
As far as the toilet goes see if someone has a busted up trailer that you can cannibalize for parts. That's where I got my current Thetford toilet. from an old 1970s TT with lots water damage. I could have fixed the original with a plastic clip part but considering the replacement toilet was very similar in every way except being slightly taller (75 cents of plumbing parts to make it fit in) and worked perfectly we just did that instead. (did I mention I got it for free?)
Old 04-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #11

thank you all! I have removed the pump and will replace with one from my brother. It will be a week and I wonder if I can plug the line and use the water while I wait?
Also GOOD NEWS! as I was procrastinating removing the toilet I put on double gloves and started looking closely at it. i thought I saw some tp stuck around the bowl seal and stuck my hand down there (double gloves lol) i found that there was a very solid accumulation of tissue and I got a bobby pin (happened to be on the counter right htere) and stated trying to dig it out. i removed quite a bit (yuck) and the disk closes almost the way now! the bowl still does not hold water for long but I am hopeful of not having to replace until I can find a free one lol
Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 AM   #12

well I still do not have a free water pump lol so I'm on Amazon looking and realize that I do not know which one to buy! Of course I would prefer to pay under $60 as opposed to nearly $100 but I want to make sure that I get an appropriate pump. it's a 20' trailer with a toilet, tub/shower, sink inbathroom and kitchen sink, also water heater. The very inexpensive pumps say they are for boats or small campers and so that may not work for me right?
Also I want a check valve to install inline at pump but not sure how to choses the right one, most seem to be for aquariums lol
Old 04-11-2016, 12:56 AM   #13

this one is only $60
SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump
Old 06-09-2016, 01:28 AM   #14

moving right along, I have a "new" water pump and my NEW toilet just came i the mail! it was a lovely gift from a friend
I was told that I will very likely need a flange adapter since thetford changed the placement of the bolts since 40 years ago. I hope to find one in stock s0mewhere local (chico ca) so I can just run and get it once I confirm the need haha.
I was absolutely thrilled to find that the AC works very well

Tags
water