Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #1

We had this old camper....

Hey! I'm new to this RV forum, and I'm hoping someone can help identify an old camper my family had in Colorado back in the late 1960's (photos from the mid-1970's below, if I can figure how to post them). The camper was already well-used when Dad traded an old Snowbirdie snowmobile for it. We used it mostly as a "chuck wagon," taking it to different work locations so Mom could fix meals for us on site (haying, cutting firewood, building remote barbwire fence lines, etc.). It had a full bed in the back with a canvas cot slung above the bed. We must have found $10.00 worth of loose change the previous owner had lost down in the cushions and framework. Sorry the photos aren't any better. I feel lucky to find any photos of it at all. And yes, that's an old WWII half-track, 1960 T-Bird and 1951 5-window Jimmy with it in one of the photos. We had some pretty cool stuff growing up (didn't appreciate them enough back then). Anyway, I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me a clue as to the camper's manufacturer, model and approximate year it was manufactured.

Thanks, and I look forward to any replies and to visiting with others on this forum. Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Old Camper 01.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	71808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Old Camper 02.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	71809  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry I can't ID the camper but welcome to the forum...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum. I've moved your post over to our Vintage section to see if we can get you an answer.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I enjoyed my 60 T Bird.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #5

Oh! Oh! Oh! To have the time. I see an awsome project in mounting that old camper to the back of that half-track. That would be a show stopper.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard Dale. Just a wild guess...maybe a Shasta?? Best of luck on finding an answer. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post

Good luck with your search. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I enjoyed my 60 T Bird.
That '60 T-bird was my first car when I first got my drivers license. Maroon and white outside, black and white interior. A/C, 4-way power seat and power windows way before those were even options on most other cars. Ran great until my sister took it off road, ran over a big rock that ripped a gash in the oil pan and cracked the transmission housing (it only had about 4" ground clearance). She kept driving and burned up the engine (350ci). We were able to rebuild the engine, but never could fix the tranny or find an inexpensive replacement, so we just put the engine in a farm truck and put the T-Bird body up on blocks. My parents finally sold it while I was off at college. Don't know what ever happened to it. Lots of good memories, though. The replacement was a 1954 Chevy 2-door coup. Not nearly as "cool", but even more fun! It was one rugged machine! Even more good memories!! That 54 Chevy would look good all dolled up pulling that camper in the photos, too, renovated to match, of course.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post

Glad you're aboard Dale. Just a wild guess...maybe a Shasta?? Best of luck on finding an answer. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Thanks Ken. I thought about Shastas, but it seems like most of them have either a lightning bold color pattern on the side separating the two-tone color pattern (and our two-tone color break is just a straight line) or have the Mercury wings sticking out the back (which ours did not have or look like it ever had). It also seems our old camper was more boxy with a perpendicular flat front and flat roof line where many of the Shastas fronts tilt forward a bit, or their roof line has a bit of a hump. One more thing, on the front, our camper had a central "picture window" with a double stack of vent windows on both sides, where the Shastas I've seen have their vent windows in the center with small picture windows to each side. Ours could still be a Shasta - just a different model than one sees in the majority of photos posted on the web. I'll keep looking and hoping for more input as viewers have ideas. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Dale
Old 08-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Oh! Oh! Oh! To have the time. I see an awsome project in mounting that old camper to the back of that half-track. That would be a show stopper.
Ha, ha! It would also be a "wallet stopper" trying to keep fuel in it. I'd probably win the "Worst Fuel Mileage" award hands down. It had a straight-6 White flat-head engine that WWII vets said would run on most any petroleum product (gasoline, diesel, kerosene). We always ran gas in it, and it burned through it fast. I don't know how much it weighed, but just the hood metal covering the engine was 1/4" thick bullet-proof steal. It was hinged in the middle, so you were only lifting one side at a time, and it took a pretty stout person just to raise one side to access the engine. Still - it would look pretty cool with a camper mounted on the back! Thanks for the laugh!