Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
We lost the fight with the bridge abutment--Awning took the hit

I was not there but the story my son tells me is this: He was trying to exit a campground on a very tight turn and hit an old abutment on a RR bridge.

"Good News, Dad! ONLY the awning was damaged!"

'94 Southwind with a Carefree Fiesta Awning. No pictures yet but from what I understand the support-arm at the rear or towards the rear is badly bent, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from the top. The end of the tube is no longer connected to the support but the "cap" is still there. The bracket at the top is badly bent and has pulled away from the roof line.

I've been searching for parts and it would seem that age of this awning is going to be an issue. Anyone have a favorite place they go to for Fiesta awning parts? All I have been able to find so far is the top bracket.

TIA

Bill W.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
no one was hurt and anything and everything can be fix. good luck with finding the parts i hope it works out well for you
Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Here's a link to a six year old thread ( we don't throw anything out ).
Maybe something there will assist.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/care-...pped-4418.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Clifftall, yes, that did help. I confirmed that I'm going to need a new spring assembly for the left side. I have a parts diagram but it was not clear if there were springs on both sides or if it was an "either/or" situation. So that is both good news and bad. Good that I now what I need, bad that it is going to be expensive (to me anyway) and possibly difficult to locate.

Maybe there is an RV salvage somewhere around the DFW area. Google here we come!

Bill W
Old 09-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #5

if the master tub is bent or crusted then i would just install a newer type awning

i worked for a RV shop that mostly did damaged awning from parts to make new working units

i would get 100 damaged awnings from shipping errs and could cut them down to make smaller awnings but in the end only 60% could be saved or made back in to some thing and most of them where 10 foot awnings for camper vans from 16 to 22 feet damaged units

PS make sure you get the holes in the roof fixed fast where it pulled out of the roof line and keep in mind the 94 Southwind may have a hand full of wiring in the roof rail

good luck no matter what way you go
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Here's a thread with some salvage links.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/rv-eq...go-164730.html
Here's another good salvage co.
Home Page
Good luck

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:47 AM   #7

wildbill i see you are close to me call united rv on airport freeway and haltom road i bet they can help. if you need help let me know im south of you on 35W exit 32 i have done many awning repairs
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
No one was hurt and it can be fixed with $$$. That is the reason, my RV is loaned to NO ONE...including family.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just a quick update. So far the hunt for parts is turning out to be more time-consuming than looking for Dr. Livingstone.

The salvage yard listed in the DFW (mainly Fort Worth)area seems to have gone out of business or moved and didn't update it's web information or pay its phone-bill. Other salvage yards just smirk when I ask about RVs. No luck on ebay (yet) or craigslist. Looking more and more like we are going to have to completely replace the #$%@#$%^! thing. Which will work out to be about to be close to the cost of replacing the arm and spring assembly.

Hmmm, tires or awning. Decisions, decisions.

Bill W
Old 09-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #10

did you check united rv they are great
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning