Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #1

Weird brake issue

Let me try to summarize what I'm dealing with as succinctly as possible, so that I may begin drawing answers from those more experienced...

86 Gulfstream Sunstream on a GMC P30 chassis, with a 454.

Drove to the end of my driveway noticed the brake pedal when down WAY further than normal, loss of braking power, and it now makes a "belt squeeley" noise when I push real hard. Brake warning light is now on.

Parked it, crawled underneath, can't find a leak or blown line anywhere.

Performed yoga to open the master cylinder. Rear fluid chamber looks normal. Front fluid chamber looks empty, but has some grainy soft gook in the bottom.

Scooped out the gook as much as possible with a paper towel, filled chamber with fluid. Pressed the brake pedal and saw air come up into the fluid chamber, for about 4 presses, then no more air coming into the chamber.

Brake pedal feels better, still made a bit of a squeeley sound when pushed real hard. Brake warning light has now turned off.

Attempted to bleed the brake lines, but the bleeder valves are rusted pretty tight and I may have rounded one off a bit. Will let the rust penetrating spray sit on that a couple more days before trying again.

So...

Why did my fluid turn into a squishy, grainy substance?

Is it possible the seal on the master cylinder went bad and exposed the front chamber to weather?

Is it that the fluid mostly evaporated off over a period of years or is it still likely I have a leak somewhere?

Thanks.
ManInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2018, 07:02 PM   #2

I'd be look'n at the rear wheel cylinders....Try using a small pair of vice grips or a 6 point socket...on the bleeders
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I'd be look'n at the rear wheel cylinders....Try using a small pair of vice grips or a 6 point socket...on the bleeders

Do you think the rear cylinders are the problem, or are you just suggesting I check them?
Old 06-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

Fluid went somewhere....can you see the backing plates?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #5

Yeah, unfortunately no evidence of fluid anywhere.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
May have a leak at the combination valve. It's super well hidden and is a lot of times the problem in this system. The brake light being on means you lost pressure in half the system. Brake fluid does evaporate off over time so it could just be you were low.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viciousharp View Post
May have a leak at the combination valve. It's super well hidden and is a lot of times the problem in this system. The brake light being on means you lost pressure in half the system. Brake fluid does evaporate off over time so it could just be you were low.
Does the combination valve look like a metal block that the lines run to? I found something like that somewhere between the front wheels. Didn't seem to be leaking.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #8

Brake fluid does not evaporate . Likely a leaking master cylinder.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #9

Anyone have an idea why it turned into a grainy thick goop?
Old 06-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #10

Brake fluid is hygroscopic. It absorbs water, and when you have a leaking cylinder, brake fluid goes out, air(and therefore, water vapor) is sucked back in. Even in a line as small as brake line, air seeks the highest level just as water seeks the lowest. Eventually, all the fluid is replaced by water and that's where the "goop" comes from. Literally, it's algae and rust. You have bad wheel cylinder seals or soft brake line leaks somewhere. Rig is thirty years old; time to give it a thorough examination underneath. The Master cylinder could also be leaking internally. One piston, two chambers, one chamber could be back feeding to the other, or leaking into the power booster(if vacuum) or past the hydrovac unit.
raccoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #11

Someone may have added power steering fluid.

Complete rebuild and flush is only cure for that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #12

If you think the brake fluid disappeared over a period of years, not months or weeks, it sounds like it hasn't been checked for a long long time or maintained properly. Brake fluid doesn't just disappear, it leaked somewhere. Your rig is over 30 years old. I'd be doing a complete brake overhaul front to back. At a minimum new wheel cylinders, callipers if disk, master cylinder, and a complete flush. While you are at it it gives you a chance to clean, lube and inspect the drums, shoes, rotors, pads, and look for broken parts. Check the parking brake mechanism while you're at it. Brake parts are not expensive and kinda important they work properly.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #13

Any suggestions where I should look for parts? Do I just search for Chevy P30 parts?
Old 06-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #14

On my p30 National Dolphin i have a low brake pedal and low oil brake level in compartiment no leaking on floors... we find a tinny tinny hole on a brake hose very few drop of oil was comming out. The mecanic guy changed that part of hose fill up oil and bleed and everything is ging back on. If that can help you find your trouble !!!!
shrekchatou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake