Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
Well at least I have a Trade In now !

Having sleep in a tent for a few summer outings made me always dream of a MH. Got really serious to the point of researching everyday and going thru the inventory a Camping World all over the southern states.

Well I came to the conclusion used diesel pusher in the 15 years old vintage.
One Saturday made a beer run came back down the street and two doors down
was one of the biggest MH taking up the whole driveway with all the basement doors open.

Wow Pat and Brenda have a MH heading down there to see where they are going and take a look around. Well being neighbors for 6 years walked down
and asked where are you going. Pats reply was not going anywhere cleaning it out to sell it.

It was a Allegro 1987 I looked thru the drivers door the captain chairs and leather interior looked great from what I saw. Then Pat explained that they owed the IRS just a little money and they were selling to help out on that bill.

Been there myself I jumped on the other side went in to see how everything looked........It was perfect seat and interior perfect for being 29 years old.

So I asked Pat how much you asking and he said 3000.00 dollars.

I cranked it fired right up.

I told Brenda who was fixing to get all the stuff out of the cabinets to stop cleaning and the I would be back with a check in about 10 minutes.
Pin one check for 3000.00 dollars.

Handed it to them and said I will see you Tuesday for the title and keys.

One hand shake it was over I owned a MotorHome.

19,543 original miles , onan generator 6.5 kw and a log book of everytime gas , oil , anti freeze and tires were replace also built in ice make and 2007 Dometic Refrigerator Lp and Electric.

Tuesday I walked down and got the keys and title they also gave the the pass code for the storage lot it was parked at only 1 mile away and said it was due on the first 70.00 dollars a month.

Tags 39.00 Insurace 29.00 extra plus road side.

Heck I had never drove a MH went straight down put the tag on cranked it up
turn the flashers on looked at the tires and took the beast out for a 10 mile test run in the country.

Sweet and fun.....

Came back and stopped at the business part of the storage and told here at the first of the month I would transfer the 40 x 15 spot over to my name she said fine. I asked if it was if I worked on it there and she said its your spot do what you want to do there.

Came home loaded up all the tools and took them to the basement section and got somewhat organized. House and GenSet Battery 115.00 , Gen fuel pump 62.00 , oil filter 11.00 the Onan was alive.

2 topside Coleman Ac units priceless.

Got the tire size and went down to check on the price of 6 mounted and balance shy of 1200.00 dollars. Said they would order them and would take a few days to get them here.

New tires and straight back to the storage parking, New master cylinder 79.00, front and back disc pads 105.00 , 4 new brake lines 80.00 and left and right front and back cylinders 190.00.

If it is not broke do not fix it ,,,,I think someone named Murphy coined that phrase.

New outside electric fuel pump 105.00 , new ac delco mechanical pump 59.00, Quadrajet rebuild kit 29.00.

Labor cost 0.00 so far.

So first trip out was 2 weeks in North Mississippi fishing lakes there are 4 of them great sights 362 miles and a ton of fun. Yes I forgot the coffee maker but walmarts are everywhere.

Will post some pictures somewhere

noleaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Congratulations on your new unit. Once you get past getting the unit ready to go you will have a great time. We will recognize you by the big smiles.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #3
That is awesome..
2012 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
2012 Ford Focus
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

What a fabulous story! When things are meant to be, they just line up perfectly. Sounds like your stars aligned.

You are going to love that rig, you're going to have so much fun, even tinkering with it is fun. No labor costs but lots of pleasure. Now go camping and enjoy her.

Congratulations Lynne
Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow Steve! You seem to have been at the right place at the right time... got yourself a good unit that has all the bugs worked out and only a few old age troubles...Enjoy!
Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute.
MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:35 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
congats man sounds like a keeper,
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
Great story, thanks for sharing it. Welcome to IRV2 where a lot of great folks are here to help answer any questions you might have.
Tom and Gloria
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35A, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and SMI Stay N Play
TomandGloria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #8
That is awesome! Congrats on being at the right place at the right time. I love those years of Allegros. The '87 has an awesome interior and I think you will love it. $3K is a steal based upon your description and miles. I'm envious as I've looked at buying an Allegro around that year for a fun vintage project to add to my collection but just haven't found one to my liking. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the pictures!
'74 F350 44K,'79 11' Mitchell Camper, MINT All Original
'79 Mitchell 25' Class C, 460 46K, MINT All Original
'97 Rexhall Aerbus, 60K, 460, F53, MINT All Original
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #9
Good story, looking forward to more updates!
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
Congrats, have many safe and happy travels.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Love the story. Many Congrats!!!

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!
Mark & Haydee (pronounced Heidi)
2010 Allegro 38QBA "Alle"
2008 HD Ultra Classic
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #12
Amazing price and story! Lots of positives comments which I love too. I posted I was looking at a 1990's coach and was amazed at the negative comments I got about its age. I love the older MH's.
raeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Post some photographs please? Would be great to see the unit.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #14
Hey thanks for the support

Well gas is 1.79 a gallon when we left Thursday for the lake. Just pull the beast up and get a little laugh going while you fill it up. Talk about stress relief is getting on the road in a Motorhome no need to be in a hurry.

Take a right onto the big concrete road and just hope you have reached 55 before you merge left. Yes traveling in the car and having to be somewhere at check in time and carry your bags upstairs is probably in our past.

Morning coffee and on the road coffee makes life great also we are very new to RVing love turning in to the park and you get to check in and the sign says Campers Only Past this Point you know you have arrived.

Walk ups only is the best part so far we have not made the three day up front reservations only yet. I do not know if all over the states if they have it but down here every lake we have went to have spots called Walk Up Only for people that did not make a reservation.

Going to figure out the post picture things.

Keep it level

noleaks is offline   Reply With Quote