Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Were to find A-R-A controls for cab AC/Heat

ARA is no longer in Texas-or anywhere I can find. Our 32' 87 Rockwood Class A P30 chassis has their AC/Heating system for the cab (no, not GM). The plastic mounts for the slide controls are breaking off due to age and its getting hard to adjust anything on it. Before I try to make a epoxy sculpture for it is there any place to get parts for a ARA system? Who else used them? Motorhomes/boats/18 wheeler tractors? Help please...I just need a good plastic bezel to re-mount the controls to.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Have you thought of a machine shop with a CNC machine that could machine a metal replacement? It might be a bit pricey but it would be a permanent solution.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
If I had access to a CNC machine I could program/make it myself (I am a Master Tool Maker by trade) but it would not look right. This is the part that you see in the dash that the controls bolt to with all the hot/cold/fan/defrost symbols on. Unless I want to redo the whole dash-with engine turning? But then it would be a problem at sun set-blinded!! But it would look cool.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I see that you are a Ham. We are also, AA1OH and N1RPN (really proud nerd) and my uncle is W6TCO (tired code operator)
Old 04-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #5

try compressor world 8177900110 they are 5 miles from me i use them for frame off car restoration when numbers have to match. if they wont ship ill pick it up and ship. on my 1985 southwind they hooked me up with a place that rebuilt my controll. that said i was a tool and die maker 16 years now machinist for jet engines 11 years run cnc lathes,mills,o.d.i.d grinders ect
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
try compressor world 8177900110 they are 5 miles from me i use them for frame off car restoration when numbers have to match. if they wont ship ill pick it up and ship. on my 1985 southwind they hooked me up with a place that rebuilt my controll. that said i was a tool and die maker 16 years now machinist for jet engines 11 years run cnc lathes,mills,o.d.i.d grinders ect
That is a good number to remember for the future. But right now my controls are fine, it is the plastic bezel that they bolt to that's bad.
My dad did some of the design work on the F-86/F-100 Saber series (F-86 was originally to be a delta wing craft) at North American. He also came up with a new ball bearing for jet turbine engines in the 50's called a "compliance bearing". Way it was told to me was at that time you got one flight out of each engine before bearing replacement. The new bearing brought it up to ten flights. It was a simple change to a standard ball bearing. You just made a shallow grove on the outside eadge of the outer race which allowed the race to flex. 3 percent more drag for 10X life-a fair trade off.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #7

There is a place called AAPAK here in Phoenix that handles aftermarket a/c systems. Phone is 602-254-1116. Their website is under construction.
Maybe you could e-mail them a picture of what you need. They might have a replacement from another manufacturer. They work with most of the fleets and private parties and probably the most knowledgeable in this area.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
There is a place called AAPAK here in Phoenix that handles aftermarket a/c systems. Phone is 602-254-1116. Their website is under construction.
Maybe you could e-mail them a picture of what you need. They might have a replacement from another manufacturer. They work with most of the fleets and private parties and probably the most knowledgeable in this area.
Thanks for the input-i will call them Monday to see what they may have.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Junk yards -

I had the same problem with mine, plus the PO really loved his hot glue gun and tried to repair everything with it.

I found an '87 control off of a Pace Arrow for my '85 Holiday Rambler. I had to swap the cable arm, and, apparently at HR, they also cut a (useless) corner off the standard control to get it to fit with the dash. So a little time spent but fixed cheaply. The question is how long before this one breaks - not being new and since they all break (an obvious design flaw to accomodate stresses of punching buttons, moving levers and flipping fan switches), this one will fail eventually.

-Stu
Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Also -
Motor vehicle Air conditioning Systems and parts - ARA current site

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market - great used parts locator

Home - talk to Cary (Gerogia Used Camper Parts)

-Stu
Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
I see that you are a Ham. We are also, AA1OH and N1RPN (really proud nerd) and my uncle is W6TCO (tired code operator)
VE3 SFX. there is a product available called "rapid Fix" its a 2 part quick dry system similar to super glue but puts super glue to shame. its a liquid resin and a powdered catalyst almost instant dry full cure in 3 minutes. i am a licensed transport mechanic and i can honestly say this stuff works!

James
Old 08-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #12

I am in contact with 2 owners here in CA that are parting our rockwood class A's. Found (3) total to date. Send a pic of what you need and I'll se if I can get it.

Regards,
Old 08-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #13

Compressor world Alvarado texas