Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #1

What are your thoughts an older Newell Coach?

I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place and please excuse me if I am.

I'd like your thoughts on the Newell's from 2000 to lets say 2006 and are there reasons not to consider one based on the 8 to 14 years old?

I know that American builds a great coach with the Eagle and Heritage and Entegra has the Cornerstone etc. And I know you can buy a newer one of them for the same money or less than an older Newell.

My question is... is the build of the Newell so much better to be a viable consideration? I'm probably asking the question poorly and I apologize for that, I know a Newell is a beautiful coach but would you choose one 10 years old and ask it to go another 20 years?

Thank you for your help and wisdom...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
I'm still lookin' and checking things out, waiting to sell my B&S. I think there's some very nice used Newells and Prevost available, my biggest concern is the Detroit Diesel. While most RVers don't put a lot of miles on a coach, in my years as a diesel tech I've watched numerous problems with DDs in comparison to other diesels on the market. OHaul at half the mileage of a Cat or Cummins. Oil leaks is another, head gasket replacement spring and fall due to the change in ambient temps. The old adage about DDs used to be "Slam your finger in the refrigerator door before you get in to drive a DD". Most of us don't want to drive a coach that way. I'm sure there are those that love them. Just not me. JMHO

Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:13 AM   #3

Check the CCC (cargo carrying Capacity) in the mid year 2000 coaches. Have been in a couple at RV shows back then that only had 950# CCC.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Some very good friends live full time in a '96 Newell with almost 200k miles (powered by CAT). He maintains it well, and I'd bet it would go another 200k.

Of course you'd have to be willing to live with the outdated interior. Back then apparently all white was popular. White leather upholstery, white laminate upholstery, white carpet/floor tile, white...
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
In addition, some of the Newells from that era were overweight on the front axle from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba1 View Post
Check the CCC (cargo carrying Capacity) in the mid year 2000 coaches. Have been in a couple at RV shows back then that only had 950# CCC.

Mike H

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #6

I think owing a Newell would be Awesome! They had features standard years before other manufacturers offered them. Quality second to none. Check out the pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404658523.085566.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	67007

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404658561.131253.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	67008

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404658595.787737.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	67009

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404658633.739413.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	67010

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404658673.205631.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	503.7 KB
ID:	67011
Old 07-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have to admit, that one is pretty nice on the inside!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would take that over a cornerstone anyday. I would think that a new cornerstone is going to have all kinds of bugs to work out. I would further think that the newell is much better built from the ground up. Stiff, solid, well built and far more luxurious. As a million+ dollar coach to begin with. And of course Newell would keep the red carpet out for you I would think.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #9

Thank you all so much...

I've never seen any motorhome manufacturer offer a 2 year warrantee on a 2005 coach! I understand that Newell checked it out at there facility and did to it whatever was needed to bring it up to speed. But you really have to be one heck of a good build to take a 2006 and offer such a warranty... Wow!!!

I've been doing a lot of research on Newell, reading reviews of the 2010 thru 14 etc and I'm really impressed. I've known about Prevost for years and mean to take nothing away from them. It's just obvious that Newell builds one fine coach and its not a bus!

Thank you all, I think I now have a good direction in my search for a 45' DP!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #10

IMHO, and from my personal experience, believe when you buy anything used, you need to be prepared, expect, & have $$$$$$$ dedicated and ready for all kinds of maintenance issues...from engine and air brake systems, jack / leveling system, air system, possibly shocks, air bags, door & window seals, cargo door seals & lock repair, plumbing repairs, batteries, tires, lights and more...yet afterward, when you have accomplished everything, you will LOVE IT - no matter what brand you decide upon.

One final "opinion" would be to go with only the Cummins / Allison combination

P. S. - just saw your post regarding Newell 2 year warranty... That is an INCREDIBLE PLUS
jd956jd956 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
IMHO, and from my personal experience, believe when you buy anything used, you need to be prepared, expect, & have $$$$$$$ dedicated and ready for all kinds of maintenance issues...from engine and air brake systems, jack / leveling system, air system, possibly shocks, air bags, door & window seals, cargo door seals & lock repair, plumbing repairs, batteries, tires, lights and more...yet afterward, when you have accomplished everything, you will LOVE IT - no matter what brand you decide upon.

One final "opinion" would be to go with only the Cummins / Allison combination

P. S. - just saw your post regarding Newell 2 year warranty... That is an INCREDIBLE PLUS

I purchased a 3 year warranty (service plan ) it was expensive , but it has almost paid for itself , at least for the year.

Tom

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2007 Fleetwood Providence 40X
OurBigRVAdventure.com
Old 07-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #12

Yes, I to like the Cummins/Allison combination for so many reasons. But that combo does not seem to be available from 2000 to 2006.

As for the problems you mentioned, wouldn't a lot of those be found by a good inspection prior to purchase? I for one would never consider the purchase of any coach without a professional going over it first!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
I purchased a 3 year warranty (service plan ) it was expensive , but it has almost paid for itself , at least for the year.

Tom

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2007 Fleetwood Providence 40X
OurBigRVAdventure.com
Hey Tom... Did you buy it for your Providence? Do you mind sharing warranty "experience" and cost? If I ever upgrade from my 97, it would be nice to know a little about them...
Old 07-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodsman View Post
Yes, I to like the Cummins/Allison combination for so many reasons. But that combo does not seem to be available from 2000 to 2006.

As for the problems you mentioned, wouldn't a lot of those be found by a good inspection prior to purchase? I for one would never consider the purchase of any coach without a professional going over it first!
I truly believe, and have had my belief "confirmed" by many posts on this and other RV forums that problems just materialize over time... All systems may be "good to go" at purchase time, yet failures do occur and unless you are mentally prepared to expect them, they sure can get you down. IMHO, engines and transmissions are likely the most steadfast and reliable "system" in a coach, yet there are simply so MANY systems in a diesel pusher, that stuff just fails at times. One thing that stands out in my mind as I type here and now is how electrical connections can loosen over time. For example, at least in my coach, inverter connections (where romex connects inside the inverter) can loosen an cause problems. Would definitely recommend that you check and tighten ALL electrical connections immediately after any purchase - battery terminal connections, circuit breaker connections, etc