Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #1

What brand oil filter for gas engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbro View Post
As far as servicing the P30 chassis I have a grease gun from harbor Freight. I use 10-30 (what ever is on sale) oil and a Fram filter on the engine. I think it takes like, 7 quarts of oil. The tranny is just that standard DexIII or DexMerc. I change out the coolant every two years. I change the air filter every year and just use a cheap filter like Fram or STP.
Up to this point, you had me believing you.

On an older engine with flat tappets (such as the 454 up until about 2000), I would use some better oil, and Fram is the worst of the filter field. Cheap oil and a filter prone to internal failure is fine...if you plan on sitting still for the rest of the life of the MH.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #2

Hey Terry let us in on some pics, can someone help you on loading them up here, please sir.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Up to this point, you had me believing you.

On an older engine with flat tappets (such as the 454 up until about 2000), I would use some better oil, and Fram is the worst of the filter field. Cheap oil and a filter prone to internal failure is fine...if you plan on sitting still for the rest of the life of the MH.
Double Ditto on the oil and Fra... Fra... grr, filter.. cant even say the name!

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

GM Truck Central Oil Filter Comparison Study
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post

Thanks for the oil filter links Jim, that's a good read.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:

Based on the gradesheet in the second link above, a Fram filter beat all others. The Fram Xtended Guard XG5 had an overall score of 3.49, higher than any other tested.

GM Truck Central Oil filter Gradesheet
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Based on the gradesheet in the second link above, a Fram filter beat all others. The Fram Xtended Guard XG5 had an overall score of 3.49, higher than any other tested.

Yes, but according to the mopar link given, large filter companies often make manufacturing changes to save costs. Don't think I would trust Fram anymore. Admittedly I used a Fram toughgaurd filter with my last oil change and found the oil was dirty far sooner then normal. After reading about about bypass valve bleed back problems which cause dirty oil to mix back into the crankcase, I don't think I will use/trust them again.

I think I will use the Mobil 1 filter next time.

Sorry if getting too far off topic, maybe someone needs to start a new thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post

The main reason to dislike Fram is its poor construction, filter paper can be .005microns and flow like the Hoover Dam but if the end seals fail due to being cardboard, then all is lost... However, in this case, while the Fram filter paper (in that particular model) filtered well, the flow was restricted to the point of possibly allowing the already weak by-pass valve to open sooner negating the higher filtration potential.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Yes, but according to the mopar link given, large filter companies often make manufacturing changes to save costs. Don't think I would trust Fram anymore. Admittedly I used a Fram toughgaurd filter with my last oil change and found the oil was dirty far sooner then normal. After reading about about bypass valve bleed back problems which cause dirty oil to mix back into the crankcase, I don't think I will use/trust them again.

I think I will use the Mobil 1 filter next time.

Sorry if getting too far off topic, maybe someone needs to start a new thread
I use either the Purolater Pure One or Mobil 1 depending which is on sale.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #9

Care to elaborate?

Quote:
The main reason to dislike Fram is its poor construction, filter paper can be .005microns and flow like the Hoover Dam but if the end seals fail due to being cardboard, then all is lost... However, in this case, while the Fram filter paper (in that particular model) filtered well, the flow was restricted to the point of possibly allowing the already weak by-pass valve to open sooner negating the higher filtration potential.
I don't quite understand. In the study that you recommended, the Fram filter got an "A" on its construction, and nothing was mentioned about restricted flow or a weak bypass.... Do you have a reference where we can all read about these "facts" or are they just your opinions?
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What brand oil filter for gas engine?

I usually buy an inexpensive oil filter when I change my oil on my RV. I buy good oil (Mobil 1) and skimp on the filter, but after reading some filter reviews, thinking about changing my ways.

I have an older coach (14 years) and want it to last until it's officially considered "vintage"

What oil and filter do you use and why?

Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Castrol GTX and either Wix or Hastings filters. Tests have shown these filters to be better than average.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #12

back in the day you only changed the filter every other time. i have always changed filter every time. oil wise i used the high milage stuff.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Katman,

You're right. When I worked for Chrysler back in the early 80's the owners manual stated to change the oil filter every other oil change. Back then that saved about 5 bucks on an oil change. I used to tell customers "do you really want to pay for an oil change, then pour 1 qt of dirty oil back into the crankcase?" 99.9 percent paid the extra 5 bucks for a new filter.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #14

Napa Gold made by Wix
ftv37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas