Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
Well Jim, I have after market analog gauges. As soon as the needle creeps over the 180 mark the fan starts revving up. The temp will get down to just under 180 and the fan kicks off. Before my rad. recore last year it would do the same thing only in the 195 range. but after a while the fan would just stay on. The recore solved the problem of the fan staying on.

Edit: By the way Jim, I got the distributor re-curved just waiting for it to come back. ( Brian in Michigan )
Brian, One important thing I forgot was about your new recurved ignition.......
Please leave the "Vacuum advance" disconnected until you fully know what the distributer mechanical advance is kicking out...
Most stock vacuum advances hand out roughly 25* or so which will be way to much IF the ignition guru hands you a 22* or so mechanical advance....
Example is "Base timing 10* + 22* mechanical plus a stock advance which is around 25* which totals up to/around 57* (Taint good).
Now a stock (sick) advance is 4* base 16* mechanical and 25* vacuum which is 45* which ain't good either......
New way is 10* base 22* mechanical and 10* vacuum advance which totals up to 42* and that is GOOD...See it's close to stock however while hill climbing without any vacuum the new setup will hand out 32* of advance which is close to perfect instead of the power robbing, Heat creating 20* of retarded timing.....
Two ways to obtain the vacuum advance is to limit the advance stroke to 100 thou or purchase a "Crane cams adjustable advance", Your choice.
I have a stock "Chebby 10* advance can" on mine now but they are priced outta range now so a $40.00 crane advance is the better buy.

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #30

Jim, looking at my notes he stated 15 vacuum and 24 mechanical And I believe my base is 9 degrees.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Jim, looking at my notes he stated 15 vacuum and 24 mechanical And I believe my base is 9 degrees.
It's close Brian.........Base at 9* and mechanical at 24* comes up to 33* without the vacuum advance (kinda nice), The 15* advance might make it down the slab sans pinging but only a test drive will prove it.....48* lite footing it down the slab depending on the fuel octane used should be fine, If not just back the base off a few degrees

Jim
Old 04-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #32

I'll keep that in mind. I will be taking the MH off to a guy to have the carb looked at. It developed a serious hesitation problem after my trip last fall. Back then it was backfiring also.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I'll keep that in mind. I will be taking the MH off to a guy to have the carb looked at. It developed a serious hesitation problem after my trip last fall. Back then it was backfiring also.
I blame my last carb problem (chewed up the pump squirter) on the E-10 rot gut fuel they feed us......GOD help us when E-15 starts in our area.
Some good for the folk's running the older HEIs, "Crane cams" is back in business and supplying "Summit racing" and we can now purchase the multible adjusting vacuum can.....Set your max/min advance YOU want plus at what vacuum level (within reason) it comes in at........
Summit part number is 99600-1 for the Chebbies.
Nice unit IMHO.

Jim