Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What did you do to improve ride/handling?

I wonder if folks would be willing to share what they've done to improve handling or ride on their P30/32 chassis and if they felt it was cost effective.

We're looking at several different improvements, and of course, since there IS a limit to the budget, we're hoping we could get the biggest bang for our paltry few bucks.

Any input is appreciated!

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #2

When I had my 1986 Itasca, I added air bags to the rear to assist the springs. This changed the handling dramatically and made the ride better. It seems the springs were very weak and I didn't feel like changing or adding. The front already had bags installed from the factory.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
When I bought new tires I bought the bridgestones with the steel belted sidewalls. that made a dramatic improvement over the tires that were on it.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

On our '88 Winnie, it came with airbags all around, but every one of the OEM shock absorbers and the similar steering stabilizer were all shot - the rig was a PIG to handle!

Replaced the shocks and stabilizer with new heavy-duty Bilsteins, piddled around with different air pressures in the airbags, and handling improvement was like night and day - the new shocks and stabilizer were around $300 as I recall - and WORTH it!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #5

"Up" the tires

One of the best ways to improve the handeling is to upgrade the tires.

Upgrade to a higher weight rating, this will result in stiffer sidewalls, thus they are less likely to roll out around corners and more of the tread stays in direct contact with the road.

The down side is a stiffer ride and the bumps could be felt, so other things like shocks could also be changed to reduce this.

Make a trip to a scalehouse and weigh each wheel, see where in the range of capacity your existing tires are at, if they are closer to the upper limit then the sidewalls are going to be less stiff and more likely to washout on corners.

I am NOT a tire sales or engineer, I have done this with out F150 and F250 work trucks with great success, with a MH there are more variables such as safety due to increased loads and feeedback from swmbo.

Before purchasing any tire do plenty of homework to be certian it will do what you expect!
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #6

bags all around, shocks,lower ball joints were shot it 60,000 (then i rebuilt whole front end ball joints were the problem) had front end lined at a big truck shop drives fine. be sure to check the bell cranks drivers side will be the one wore
dave
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
bags all around, shocks,lower ball joints were shot it 60,000 (then i rebuilt whole front end ball joints were the problem) had front end lined at a big truck shop drives fine. be sure to check the bell cranks drivers side will be the one wore
dave
Interesting that the ball joints were so badly worn at such low mileage - what RV/chassis?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Senior Chief,

The first thing you need to do is load your coach as if you were going traveling including passengers and get it weighed. After you get it weighed check your air pressure in the tires to make sure you don't have too much or too little. Most of the tire manufacturers have a web site that will give you the pressure settings recommended for the weight.

Another accessory you might want to add is a steering stabilizer. I installed a Safety Plus Steering Stabilizer in case of a blow out.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrtaylor View Post
When I bought new tires I bought the bridgestones with the steel belted sidewalls. that made a dramatic improvement over the tires that were on it.
What tires where those, paul?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
On our '88 Winnie, it came with airbags all around, but every one of the OEM shock absorbers and the similar steering stabilizer were all shot - the rig was a PIG to handle!

Replaced the shocks and stabilizer with new heavy-duty Bilsteins, piddled around with different air pressures in the airbags, and handling improvement was like night and day - the new shocks and stabilizer were around $300 as I recall - and WORTH it!
$300 dollars TOTAL? Thats cant be right... Biltsteins for my Audi were $180 each.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #11

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
94 Pace Arrow 34ft- replaced front airbags(do it yourself) $110.00, new OEM front sway bar bushings(do it yourself) $125.00- should have checked online first and the price would have been half. Lube job on all zirks ($10.00) so far only $235.00. Still am considering replacing safe t steer shock that will bring the price up considerably but I think it may just need the bushings between the shock and frame
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
$300 dollars TOTAL? Thats cant be right... Biltsteins for my Audi were $180 each.
AH, you'd be surprised at the prices you can find with a good Internet search!

Only a fool pays anywhere near full retail!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
That WAS the good price
Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
The tires are bridgestone R187's. I am pretty sure you have the same size 8R 19.5. They were just under 1700.00 mounted and balanced with tax for 6 tires. Not the cheapest tire but not the most expensive either.