Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #1

What did you do to your old RV today?

Due to my wife's coming out-of-town hospital stay I have been going through the motorhome for three days. This is what I have done:

Flushed the radiator with Prestone Super Flush and replaced the anti-freeze.

Climbed up on the roof with a tube of EDPM rubber and sealed anything that even looked like a potential leak.

Lubed the chassis.

Changed the oil and filter in the generator.

Flushed the fresh water tank

Flushed the grey and black tanks.

Changed out the brake fluid in the master cylinder.

Serviced all the tires.

Repaired one of the awning rails.

Fixed two leaks under the faucets at the kitchen sink.

Washed the motorhome.

Cleaned out the interior.

Fixed the hood latches.

Washed all the linens.

Replaced the house battery with a new deep cycle battery.

The last oil change, air filter change was like, 200 miles ago so, I wont bother with that. Plus, the fuel filter is fairly new too.

I can't think of anything else that needs to be done right now. The old RV is ready to go.

What did you do to your old RV today?
falconbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I admired mine in the driveway...
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You've been busy!

Today I removed my frig vent and added a 4 fan (mounted in an aluminium frame) unit, to enhance cooling of the frig. Hooked it up to a 85 - 100 degree thermo switch. Works like a champ! Been real busy all summer workin' on the ol' girl. Did a bunch of upgrades, too numerous to mention.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Checked and caulked some on the roof. Removed some wrinkled decals that I will probably replace with paint. Actually looks better without the ones I removed, so I am in no hurry.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
You've been busy!

Today I removed my frig vent and added a 4 fan (mounted in an aluminium frame) unit, to enhance cooling of the frig. Hooked it up to a 85 - 100 degree thermo switch. Works like a champ! Been real busy all summer workin' on the ol' girl. Did a bunch of upgrades, too numerous to mention.
Was this a custom mount fan frame or something you purchased? Where did you get the thermo switch? I've been wanting to do this mod but wasn't sure how proceed.
To answer the OP's question, I installed a Gen-turi exhaust system for our upcoming trip "Out West".
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #6

I looked at mine and thought boy do I have a lot of work to do.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff

Was this a custom mount fan frame or something you purchased? Where did you get the thermo switch? I've been wanting to do this mod but wasn't sure how proceed.
To answer the OP's question, I installed a Gen-turi exhaust system for our upcoming trip "Out West".
Got the fan unit here:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...SSEMBLY/1.html

Got the switch from Amazon.

Do a search for 'wiring !2v muffin fans?' There is my detailed installation, as well as others.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #8

Falcon, I hope all turns out well for your wife.

I added another refer chimney fan and finished installing LED Cl lights.

Cylon, let us know how the fans work. I now have 2 in mine now and this weekend will be testing in the field :-)
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee

Cylon, let us know how the fans work. I now have 2 in mine now and this weekend will be testing in the field :-)
Here'a re-post of my install today on the thread mentioned previously. Not my intention to disrupt this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51

Here's an update. Just finished the install of the 4 unit fan from Allelectronics.com. The width of the unit was a perfect snug fit in the chimney. Had the unit had six fans, it would have fit lengthwise too.

Dropped 2 wires down from the top and tied them into the 12v wire block from the BCC. The BDS shuts this circuit down while stored. Testing indicated about a 0.7 amp draw @ 13.2v.

Back up on top, connected the wires to fan via solder and shrink wrap. I had left about an extra foot of slack in the wire. About 8 inches from the fan, I cut the POS wire in half and added two spade connectors, which I connected to the 85 - 100 degree thermoswitch. Mounted that a few inches below the fan and a few above the coils.

1:00 pm - ambient temp 83F, powered up the circuit, turned frig on AC, set to '5' coldest setting. Freezer and frig temp, 70F, both empty.

1:30 pm - up top cleaning up vent and old caulk. Fans kick on first time, run for 1 min, off for 3-4 mins. This continues until finished up top 15 mins later.

3:00 pm - freezer temp, 08 F, Frig 40 F.

4:00 pm - freezer -2 F, frig 35 F. Ambient 82 F.

5:00 pm - freezer -9 F, Frig 26 F.
Ambient 80 F. Turned down to #3 and see what it looks like in the morning.

Conclusion - never seen this frig this cold even in much colder ambient temps. The 4 fans are overkill but, with a temp switch, they don't run often and at only 0.7amps, there is no energy concerns. Also, since they don't run that much, it's highly unlikely they'll go bad in the next 5-7 years.

They do take up 2/3 of the chimney space for natural venting. So it might not be a good idea to use a manual switch. Of course if you forgot to turn it on, it probably wouldn't take you long to figure it out when you grabbed that warm beer So far I have to give this 2 thumbs up! Thanks all for the product and ideas!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the info. I apologize if I hijacked this thread.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
In our 93 we put in a new micorwave, flat screen TV, new matress, replaced all of the outside clearance lights, new power vent. It took all of the month of May, but now we are out every other weekend enjoying wat Alaska is all about.
bikermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Went into the shop to get a new Norcold- Double Door Referidgerator Freezer put in when i get it back i will lube front ck tires all fluids and get it ready for lake Havisu AZ on 24th . O yah we wont talk about the cost of Referidgerator
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #13

Well I started to install a two switch system in my camper for my water pump, one in the kitchen area and one in the bathroom area. The idea is to avoid "The darn I forgot to turn on the water!" when your in the bathroom situation. Since I am also installing some LED indicator lights so we know when the pump is on I had to identify the positive and negative otherwise the LED lights wont work. That is when I discovered the PO had wired the pump backwards. The pump still ran but it made twice as much noise compared to when I wired the pump up correctly. I just hope it didn't damage the pump. So my day wasn't as exciting as some of yours but I'm just happy to get one more thing straightened out in the camper.
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #14

Took it in to my friend's big rig shop to have some amateur dash wiring replaced by pros, good thing, too, they found a bad vacuum switch while they were working on it.
ideagirl is offline   Reply With Quote