Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2015, 06:17 AM   #1415

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Nice job on engine, how does it performed. I got a 460, fuel injected. Will the upgrade improve my 460?
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 06:34 AM   #1416

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Cleaned both ACs , fixed exhaust manifold leak and changed the oil. she's purring like a kitten now.... lol a loud kitten...
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #1417

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
That's a real nice upgrade you did to the old 460. How many miles were on it at time of rebuild, and where would I find the specs you used. Our 1995 Rexhall has 80,000 miles and will consider a rebuild after I see how she performs on the maiden voyage. With the BANKS ram air, headers and chip she runs out nice on the flat.
Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #1418

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
What brand of cameras did you use?
Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #1419

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Checked out my Fridge in our 1988 Chieftain today. Went through all the voltage checks but ended up pulling out one terminal of the PC board, easy fix but I found some brown spots on the board and the connector that slips in like a telephone jack is all green corrosion. I hot wired the incoming 120 volt line to the heating element and in 3 hours the freezer was 20 degrees and the fridge was 40, so i'm going to say the cooling unit is ok, what do you guys think? I'm going to work on the gas part of it tommorrow and if I can get the burner to light, I will order a new board and try to get her to act right! Really don't want to spend $1300-2000 if it isn't needed. I have to take the whole fridge out anyway as I need to rebuild the floor it sits on and am going to move the whole unit over 6 inches so I can get a 80" mattress in there. Cya all later, Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #1420

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
Nice Job Jerry! I'll be looking to do something like that soon, and it looks like your mirrors are the same as mine. Right now i'm trying to design a small slideout for the bed area as the original 48x75 bed is not going to cut it for my other half, our 3 buddies and I to be getting any real sleep! Working on the MH , finding ways to make it more livable is one of the few pleasures I have now. It's much more fun when you know you have no payments to make on the rig and you can do anything you want to it without getting into debt! Bobby
For ideas on a small slide out, check out Amerigo trailers and rvs
They have a drop down metal sided bed extension. That might fit the bill for you
A lot less maintenance and trouble than a slideout
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #1421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangfive View Post
What brand of cameras did you use?
Ordered them from Amazon
The cost was something like 13 bucks each
Monitors were 16 for the two small ones and 28 for the larger backup monitor.
I find the quality of the cameras tends to be similar no mattrr how much people pay.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #1422

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I finally got a day off so I was able to dewinterize and get some small system checks going. Found that my batteries are not holding a charge so I will get some new ones. Might have a bad water heater. I now know 100% that I have a bad converter. And the front ac unit isn't working. The to do list is growing. I have lots to do before our first camping trip in May.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Ordered them from Amazon
The cost was something like 13 bucks each
Monitors were 16 for the two small ones and 28 for the larger backup monitor.
I find the quality of the cameras tends to be similar no mattrr how much people pay.
I will jump in now..... Can you provide links to the cameras? If they work well at that price I am in. A picture of your monitor set up will be inspiring as well. keep up the good work!
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #1424

My 460 had just over 40K on it and was the last year for the carburetor and emission package. These were very low performance set ups and when Ford went to fuel injection the performance was vastly improved. I've been a mechanic my whole life so this sort of thing is right up my alley. It takes planning and Money to do it right, any other approach is a waste of time and money. I would love to be able to buy a new motorhome, but can't so I just do the best I can with what I have.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #1425

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
Nice job on engine, how does it performed. I got a 460, fuel injected. Will the upgrade improve my 460?
Check out some of the Ford forums.

The best performance increases are:
--Keep tires properly inflated (I went from 7mpg to 8mpg going from 60-80psi)
--Tuneup if it needs one
--Better breathing
---the shotgun EFI intake is awful. I cut out the center restriction and plastic welded it into a single large oval and will try that. Next step will be fabricating a steel cold air intake--hopefully ~4" x 6" overall or better (same size as the opening into the air filter box)
---Next step after that will be 3" or 3.5" exhaust. Fortunately I can weld.

You said you installed Banks--both intake and exhaust? What was your fuel economy improvement?

Then you can think about different electronic ways to dump more fuel and air into the engine, and to manage cylinder temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
You said it, I found a 40',1995 Newmar Kountry Aire w/460 , 39,000 miles on it, that was parked at a business. MH sat unattended for 5 years. Owner just wanted it to go to a good home. So he let it go for $2000.00. I've been reconditioning MH for 2 years.
Apparently the "rule of thumb" that Ford fuel pumps die at 35,000 miles is rooted in truth. Mine was at 34,000 miles.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #1426

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Banks addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Check out some of the Ford forums.

The best performance increases are:
--Keep tires properly inflated (I went from 7mpg to 8mpg going from 60-80psi)
--Tuneup if it needs one
--Better breathing
---the shotgun EFI intake is awful. I cut out the center restriction and plastic welded it into a single large oval and will try that. Next step will be fabricating a steel cold air intake--hopefully ~4" x 6" overall or better (same size as the opening into the air filter box)
---Next step after that will be 3" or 3.5" exhaust. Fortunately I can weld.
You said you installed Banks--both intake and exhaust? What was your fuel economy improvement?
Then you can think about different electronic ways to dump more fuel and air into the engine, and to manage cylinder temps
Apparently the "rule of thumb" that Ford fuel pumps die at 35,000 miles is rooted in truth. Mine was at 34,000 miles.
Installing the banks Power pack system ( headers, straight thur mufflers, 3.5" pipe,stinger and cold air K an N intake) was the best thing I could of done for the 460. Performance is unbelievable. Torque is a huge difference. I can pass cars on grades. 0 to 60 has doubled. Its pricey but once installed you'll spent your money wisely. Did the install myself. Took about 10 hours.
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #1427

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
I will jump in now..... Can you provide links to the cameras? If they work well at that price I am in. A picture of your monitor set up will be inspiring as well. keep up the good work!

Notice the right camera, and downspout, and part of garage door in the second picture, and the down spout and corner of house in third.

Amazon.com : LotFancy® HD Color CCD Waterproof Car Rear View Backup Reverse Parking Camera, 0.86X0.65X0.50-inch : Car Electronics

Amazon.com : 7 inch TFT LCD Digital Car Rear View Monitor with Waterproof Car Rear View Camera combo : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-15-2015, 09:50 PM   #1428

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Did a GOF (grease,oil and filter)
Drained gray tank and emptied the fresh water tank might blow out the system tomorrow to get rid of the Pink Stuff. No place open to drain Blk tank until we get up North.
Going North on Friday for 4 days.
Tried using a paste wax on the old gal, seems too work better than liquid. So I start waxing tomorrow.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote