Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2015, 01:43 AM   #1471

Monaco Owners Club
Installed a 5 cuft freezer. Took out the dinnet. The freezer and a 42" wire dog kennel fit perfect. Now need to build a new counter to go over them to get some work space back.
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #1472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.H View Post
Last week I added a sound bar to the TV. I need the sound bar because last year I took the old giant, heavy, old school tv out and replaced it with a nice 32' flatscreen, but the sound quality was very bad, so of course as any logical thinking man would do I added an upgraded sound system to it.

I just want to mention last year I also replaced all interior lights with LED lights. LOVE IT!!!

Next, I think, is a full solar panel system with pure sign wave invertor and two additional 6V batteries.
How much is a sound bar? They make that much difference? Do they throw the sound forward better?

You will love the LEDs. You can leave them all on and rarely worry about running your batteries down!
Did you do your porch light as well? LEDs don't attract bugs.

Go boondocking for a week. Show your DW how important it is to have solar!
Old 04-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #1473
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
How much is a sound bar? They make that much difference? Do they throw the sound forward better?
Here is a link to the one I bought 3 times for the last 3 coaches I've owned. I highly recommend it. It has the best sound of any I viewed and listened to. The sub-woofer is wireless. You just need to put it near a plug in or power source. You can also Bluetooth music through it.
Polk Audio AM1500 Surroundbar 5000 Instant Home Theater 747192122331 | eBay
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #1474

MT4RUNNER. ..I would like to do my interior lights with LEDs....where do you get them and how expensive are they?...I'm very interested in solar panels for my southwind. I don't know where to start or what to buy...keep us posted concerning the solar panels. I will definitely follow the thread
roaddogg369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #1475

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Success, the fridge works excellent on gas too! I'm so happy as many people told me not to bother as the rig is 27 years old, told me to just go buy a new one. Glad I held out and got it to work for $185 for the 2 boards and a cable! Also from sitting in the rain the cooling unit got kinda nasty so I got off all the loose crap and gave it 2 coats of POR 15 , so it shouldn't rust anymore for quite a while. Had to take my belt sander to the top of the cabinet to get it back in, took about 3/16ths off and it's all good. Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #1476

Started taking off the decals, Used a scraper, and heat gun to start, then the eraser wheel.
The decals have been painted over, so instead of just using the eraser, I heat gunned the decals off, and then used the eraser for the glue remaining.
The mandrel cost 2.50, and the erasers were 8.50 each, and I used one eraser for the side. I expect to need 3 total,
The erasers are not the 3m brand as they run 20+ bucks apiece.

IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:49 PM   #1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddogg369 View Post
MT4RUNNER. ..I would like to do my interior lights with LEDs....where do you get them and how expensive are they?...
They've gotten very cheap.

I bought mine three years ago when rewired were $18/early and unwired chips were about $2, so I soldered my own.

They've gotten very cheap now and are plug and play:

9 12 15 20 24 36 48LED Panel 5050 3528SMD Light Dome Lamp Bulb T10 Festoon BA9S | eBay

You want a module with about 10 5050 chips or 24 3528 chips to get the same light output as one halogen incandescent you're replacing.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
Success, the fridge works excellent on gas too! I'm so happy as many people told me not to bother as the rig is 27 years old, told me to just go buy a new one. Glad I held out and got it to work for $185 for the 2 boards and a cable! ...
man I love hearing about people fixing things and using them instead of just throwing them in the dump and buying a new thing from China (or wherever)

We need to get back to a more sustainable frame of mind.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

You will love the LEDs. You can leave them all on and rarely worry about running your batteries down!
Did you do your porch light as well? LEDs don't attract bugs.

Go boondocking for a week. Show your DW how important it is to have solar!
MT, the cost totally depends on the quality you want to get. I checked the link the dogpatch attached and I can tell you his sound bar would blow mine out of the water. His is a Polk Audio with subwoofer and was $400. I wish the DW would have been ok with that. I put a 32" flatscreen in and wanted the sound bar not to extend beyond the ends of the TV. This limited me to 29". After some research and cost comparison I purchased a Vizio sound bar. Keep in mind my goal was size, low cost, and function. The size was a perfect fit, Cost was around $90 at WalMart, and function is ok. What I mean by that is the TV can be heard clearly, is much better than the TV speakers, and if the furnace kicks on we can still hear it clearly. Mine did not come with the subwoofer, and as much as I wanted on the DW did not.
I do love LED lights and did replace the porch light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV soundbar.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	92614  
Todd.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddogg369 View Post
MT4RUNNER. ..I would like to do my interior lights with LEDs....where do you get them and how expensive are they?...I'm very interested in solar panels for my southwind. I don't know where to start or what to buy...keep us posted concerning the solar panels. I will definitely follow the thread
Roaddogg, I replaced all of my interior bulbs with LED bulbs. I wanted to make sure that whatever LED bulb I used gave me the same quality light as the bulbs I was taking out. I did not want a blue color etc., Don't even get me started on "lums". I started out by researching LED replacement bulbs. This really just created more stress about the situation because until you are actually looking at them it is difficult to know what they will really look like and how bright or dim they will be. There is also a lot of outdated info on the web about the subject, this technology has come a long way in a short period of time.

I was at a local RV show and one of the venders had a great display of LED lights. To make it even better the actual representative for the LED bulb company was there so I was able to ask all the questions I wanted. They also had a display with all the different bulbs to test. This is where all the research I had done previously came in handy. I was able to better articulate to the REP what I wanted. I purchased around 25 bulbs and the cost was approximately $200. However, having spent as much time as I did with the REP we sort of became friends and she gave me a great deal saving me about $35. I don't recall the exact brand, but I think it was something like go green. I also don't recall the LUM of light I purchased either, sorry. However, if you notice there are 12 LEDs on each light. That may help you in your decision. I will look around and see if I kept some info on them somewhere. If I did I will message that info to you. They were super easy to swap out, just take the old bulb out and put the new one in. I have attached pictures for you. These bulbs will fit more than one type of socket depending on what you have. Keep in mind you may have several different types of bulbs in your coach. Just from my experience, I would suggest talking with someone that has some level of knowledge about them when you go to purchase them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	led 1.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	92615   Click image for larger version

Name:	led 2.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	92616  

Name:	led 3.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	92617  
Todd.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #1481
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
MT, the cost totally depends on the quality you want to get. I checked the link the dogpatch attached and I can tell you his sound bar would blow mine out of the water. His is a Polk Audio with subwoofer and was $400. I wish the DW would have been ok with that. I put a 32" flatscreen in and wanted the sound bar not to extend beyond the ends of the TV. This limited me to 29". After some research and cost comparison I purchased a Vizio sound bar. Keep in mind my goal was size, low cost, and function. The size was a perfect fit, Cost was around $90 at WalMart, and function is ok. What I mean by that is the TV can be heard clearly, is much better than the TV speakers, and if the furnace kicks on we can still hear it clearly. Mine did not come with the subwoofer, and as much as I wanted on the DW did not.
I do love LED lights and did replace the porch light.

I actually shopped and got my Polk SoundBar system for around $299. I picked this one specifically for the wireless sub. You can put it anywhere within 50' of the Bar. Perfect fit under my 32" TV. Beautiful sound. It beats others like Yamaha.

I have also used a Panasonic SoundBar with powered Sub on coaches that I wasn't keeping that sounded pretty good for $129.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1430079238.115305.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	92623

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1430079268.344688.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	92624
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #1482

Todd.H...thanks for the info. I will Google "LED rv lighting" and see what comes up. Incandescent lighting is fast becoming outdated. LED lighting is so much easier on power... I'll standby for you info and keep you posted on my results
roaddogg369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #1483

Quote:
Roaddogg, I replaced all of my interior bulbs with LED bulbs. I wanted to make sure that whatever LED bulb I used gave me the same quality light as the bulbs I was taking out. I did not want a blue color etc., Don't even get me started on "lums". I started out by researching LED replacement bulbs. This really just created more stress about the situation because until you are actually looking at them it is difficult to know what they will really look like and how bright or dim they will be. There is also a lot of outdated info on the web about the subject, this technology has come a long way in a short period of time.
Very true.

The older 1141 incandescent bulbs put out about 110-120lm when new, but only about 90lm with a few months on them.

A 5050 chip (square with a round center, like you posted) puts out about 9lm. You need about 10 of these chips on a module to get a similar brightness. As Todd H posted, the new LED boards are flat, so you don't waste light bouncing up inside the fixture, they can direct light straight into your living space.

The 3528 chips put out less than 4lm. You need about 24 of them on a board to give you the same light as your 1141.

Color temperature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 3,000K light source will look like a yellowish "warm white". These are most similar to the halogens you're losing. After you get used to bright white, most people prefer it.
4,000-4,500K will look most like sunlight "bright white".
5,000K and above will be bluish "cool white", and like most fluorescent lamps.

I prefer the bright white for cooking, eating, workspace.
I used the warm white in the bathroom and bedroom because it has the least perceived eye strain. It's still very bright, but doesn't "make my eyes hurt".

Quote:
However, if you notice there are 12 LEDs on each light. That may help you in your decision. I will look around and see if I kept some info on them somewhere. If I did I will message that info to you. They were super easy to swap out, just take the old bulb out and put the new one in. I have attached pictures for you. These bulbs will fit more than one type of socket depending on what you have. Keep in mind you may have several different types of bulbs in your coach. Just from my experience, I would suggest talking with someone that has some level of knowledge about them when you go to purchase them.
Those will appear slightly brighter than the incandescent lamps you replaced.

5050 chips consume approximately 0.24W per LED.
3528 chips consume approximately 0.08W per LED.

Your 12-chip module will consume 12x0.24W = 2.88W.
The old 1141's consume 18W each, so you're using 1/6 the power per lamp.

With (12) 5050 chips on that board, you will
Old 04-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #1484

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I installed these in our older MH and they work well. At under $4.00 each including shipping and taxes I thought these a terrific buy at that time. Still do.
Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is 8PCS/LOT BA15S-5050 30leds car brake light / backup,light led bulb,led panel,led light Free Shipping
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote