Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #1541

1) Removed all decals and stripes.

2) Removed and replaced all caulking on all sides except the roof. Did the roof over the winter with Eternabond tape.

3) Bought a dual action buffer and buffed completely with Buff Magic.

4) Applied Meguires Flagship Marine wax using buffer.

I'm tired but have that sense of accomplishment feeling.

noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #1542

I installed dimmers in three of the fluorescent fixtures I converted to LED. They were much too bright.

I got the dimmers on Amazon for what turned out to be about $2.50 each, delivered. They are little modules that you wire inline and they come with little RF remotes. Fortunately they all respond to the same remote so I use only one and put the other two away. I work slow so it took me about ten minutes per fixture.

Nice modification that will make hanging out the old Lazy Daze even more pleasant.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #1543

Pictures please...I really wanna see it. I gotta paint mine. I wanna see your progress
Old 05-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #1544

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
noserider,

Please post info on how you removed the decals. What did you use, do to get them off?

Pictures would be greatly appreciated. We are piking up our MH the 23rd in Texas and the decals are bad and we will need to remove them. I would like to hear and see what you did.

Thank you, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Sure would like to see some pictures of that. I am in the process of removing decal/stripe and will be putting on paint after that.

ronspradley

Will be posting this weekend,
Ran out of paint, and light last night, now i have to wait a few days for the paint to cure. Hammered paint is a pain if you get off schedule for the second coat.
Did figure out the thinning process though.
That actually works in my favor, as i found a few spots I want to address anyway

I was thinking bottom storage door areas of doing a charcoal, but now thinking dark metallic hammered green.
I guess I will not know until I get home from the paint store
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #1546

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
noserider,

Please post info on how you removed the decals. What did you use, do to get them off?

Pictures would be greatly appreciated. We are piking up our MH the 23rd in Texas and the decals are bad and we will need to remove them. I would like to hear and see what you did.

Thank you, Lynne
I am not nose rider, but I used an eraser wheel. cost 850 at my paint store, used 4 total.
Heat gunned some of the decals off that were painted over, and used the eraser for the glue, and leftovers.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #1547

Gulf Streamers Club
Lynne, I started a thread about removing decal/stripes. I am still working on mine. Life got in the way and I have not been able to get back to it for some time. Hopefully, after Memorial Day. Twin granddaughters are due May 26th, if mother can wait that long. I tried heat gun, lacquer thinner, acetone, MEK, Goof-Off, Goo-Gone, and adhesive/decal removers from Rustoleum and 3M. Also the eraser wheel. My decals are very dry and cracked. The 3M does work somewhat, need to find a way to make it stay on vertical surface longer, maybe a plastic film, after wetting the decal. I am having to use a razor blade to get this stuff off. And the eraser wheel does work. I am using the 3M brand. Very slow and exhausting. Hoping yours will be easier because it is not as old and sun-baked as mine. We are all getting excited about your new MH.

ronspradley/rebecca

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #1548

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I too would be interested in the decal removing process. I also want to get the shiney clear coat off my unit. It's flaking and it looks horrid. Hopefully I can clear everything off, repaint the unit and just forget about decals.
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:59 AM   #1549

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
noserider,

Thank you, Lynne
Hi Lynne

I have not replaced my decals/stripes yet but I plan to. I have the ghosting where the vinyl was but I much prefer having it nice and clean without the old cracking fading graphics. I read everything I could find on the subject and thought it would not be as hard as everyone said it was going to be. Nope I was wrong. It's a PITA but still worth it.

I used the large 3m eraser wheel. It around 8 inches in diameter and needs to be used on an orbital sander/polisher as opposed to the smaller 4 inch that goes on a drill. The big one cost around $80-100 depending where you purchase. I also used the smaller 4" 3m eraser wheel for the drill. The smaller eraser will be good for tighter areas but be sure to find and purchase the big one. It's night and day difference of the area you can remove compared to the small one. I don't think many people who have done this know the larger wheel exist. Not easy to find someone that sells the larger wheel.

I also used plastic razor blades you can get at automotive parts houses. Their not really sharp as real razors but they will assist your efforts without scratching the paint or gel-coat. You will also need lots of soft rags and some solvent like 3m decal remover or Goo Gone. You will need all of these things to complete the job. The eraser wheels (get the big one and a small) will do the bulk of the work and then you use the scrappers and solvents to get the residual off. If you have some areas where the vinyl has not started to flake or crack, a hair dryer or heat gun will soften things up and you can remove some areas completely without leaving any residue behind.

Don't get in a hurry and pace yourself. I would work on it for 3 or 4 hours each time. Some coaches have much more graphics than others so there really are no good estimates on how long it will take. Just be patient and you'll get there. It's great to be able to wash and wax the coach and use a dual action buffer without concern of damaging the vinyl so you can get things polished up nice once it's decal free.

I'll post up some pics of the coach to show the decal free look. I did not think pics during the process would be helpful just ugly .
Old 05-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #1550

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, this does not sound like a fun job at all, but neither was redoing wood floors in a whole house but I did that. Will have to see how bad the decals are first. I know I plan to replace the carpet. Don't like the color and it is badly stained. Will see the 23rd.

It's great to get instructions from others who have done this though before you tackle something yourself.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #1551

Here are some pics I snapped today while I was at the storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	94206  
Old 05-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #1552

And another. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	259.0 KB