Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #1583

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
I' d call your paint supplier and find out what went wrong?! I don't know what spray gun you were using but some paints require different orifices and nozzles to spray different materials. Did you try to spray it right out of the can or did you thin it? Sorry it didn't come out like you wanted. Bobby
Orfice definitely too small, it was supposed to be a 2.1, but ended being a 1.5
Just decided to roll it, and move on, unless I can come up with a big sprayer this week.
I took a little time off, and rolled it on out. still needs some sanding, and another coat
At least I have the basic outline of what I want.
I have 4 quarts of green coming, which should be plenty
I will throw some 80 grit in the palm sander, sand a few spots, and have a go at it this weekend

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5275.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	95411
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #1584

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Okay guys and dolls....It's upgrade time! I am thinking about doing three upgrades this year. One small. One medium. One large. Looking for hints and tips from people who HAVE DONE any of these, or just have constructive input.

Coach: 1989 HR Imperial gas coach.

1) Replace existing futon style folding sofa bed with an actual fold out sofa bed. Flex Steel prefered, but I'm open to others. Does anyone have experience with replacing and or particular brands? I have 69" x 88" of space to deal with, and it's a hard number.

2) I want to remove the Formica counter tops (vanity and kitchen) and replace with solid surface. I would like to incorporate the sink into it, and it will require oven removal to complete. Any tips on the oven removal, and care with the gas lines?

3) This is the biggie....I want to replace all of the old Quest type mobile home water line and upgrade to PEX throughout the coach. This will be a task, although most areas are accessible (except shower). Of particular concern are the low point water drains. Two sets in my coach are simple pull open, push closed type inline valves. Can these type of valves be found to connect to PEX? The rear set are simple rotating on/off water closet style cutoff valved, but using this type under the vanity and kitchen areas eats space.

Thanks to all who constructively contribute in advance,

Tim
RamblinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #1585

1995 35ft Rexhall Aerbus with tag axle. This week I rebuilt the tag axle brake master cylinder. Today I installed it and what a difference in the feel of the pedal. Nice to have all three axles stopping again.
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #1586

Went camping over Memorial Weekend and found our fresh water supply was not supplying properly.

BIL and I tackled the task of changing from syphoning from top of tank and capped that off with a simple plug and tied into the tank's bottom drain system and went with PEX line/couplings with some extra 1/4 turn valves and made a simple system for getting water AND being able to also syphon from a gallon jug when winterizing with a simple twist of the valves to do what is needed. Here's a few pics how I designed and how he helped me hook everything up.

1st pic shows how I tied into the drain system just before the fresh water drain valve. When valve is off all water goes to water pump. When valve is open, it drains tank and water line--up to the pump only.

2nd pic is the PEX line coming up through floorboard and routed into sink cabinet area.

3rd pic is how we tied 2 valves into system to do different things. One valve turns off line water for pump repairs, etc and allows fresh water to get to pump. The other valve comes into play when 1st valve is off and other valve is on to draw from gallon jug by using the pump's suction.

The ringed hose(3rd pic) is the tank's fresh water fill hose. What looks like a black electrical cord(3rd pic) is actually the tank's air vent to outside air.

Filled tank up with water and checked out and it worked great. Now it's shut down to check for any overnite leaks in line. Got some paper towels under the water line just to be sure everything's GTG.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM001092.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	95473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001096.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	95474  

Name:	IM001094.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	95475  
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #1587

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Orfice definitely too small, it was supposed to be a 2.1, but ended being a 1.5
Just decided to roll it, and move on, unless I can come up with a big sprayer this week.
I took a little time off, and rolled it on out. still needs some sanding, and another coat
At least I have the basic outline of what I want.
I have 4 quarts of green coming, which should be plenty
I will throw some 80 grit in the palm sander, sand a few spots, and have a go at it this weekend

Attachment 95411
Wish I was a little closer my primer gun is a good one I got from a friend it has a 2.1 I spray epoxy primer with, probably would have done the job! It looks pretty cool as is Jerry!
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #1588

all the possibilities...

Enjoying reading all the different stories on this thread. I've got a list full to items to do and will be posting. But even with the wife getting mad at me, I have been just admiring mostly for the last week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windydaboo View Post
I admired mine in the driveway...
rigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #1589

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am one of those guys that read about others having many different problems with their motorhomes. I have had a few small problems, but never very many and no serious ones. That all changed this last weekend. I jumped in the motorhome and went to
tractor supply for LP gas. Arriving back home, I smelled hot brakes. I checked the rotor temps with my trusty temp gun. Three were normal. 145 to 155. The left rear read 315 degrees. I spent two hours with the driveshaft out of a 39 Chevy. I pried the brakes all the way open and had my wife push the pedal in. I did each brake about 15 times. Then checked for leaks and took it for a test drive. Everything was OK. I added water to the tank and turned on the pump. Water started running out the bottom of the water compartment. I found a crack in a cpvc water line. Repaired that. When we got to Savannah, took a shower that night and found water in the floor. A leak in the shower enclosure. Sealed that . Was unhooking the motorhome to come home and noticed some plastic on the ground. A soon as I saw it I knew it was the plastic roof cover for the Refrigerator. It had broken to pieces. We finally got home. I turned on both AC's after plugging in the motorhome. Came out of the house thirty minutes later and heard a roar from the motorhome. Went inside and both AC's were running wide open and both furnaces were running wide open. My Intellitec board that controls all four had fried. The only thing that saved the weekend was the meal at Lady and Sons. (Paula Deens restaurant.)
Old 05-30-2015, 01:06 PM   #1590

Monaco Owners Club
I hope thru my constant tinkering that nothing big ever goes wrong before I see it coming.
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:53 PM   #1591

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinOn View Post

2) I want to remove the Formica counter tops (vanity and kitchen) and replace with solid surface. I would like to incorporate the sink into it, and it will require oven removal to complete. Any tips on the oven removal, and care with the gas lines?

Thanks to all who constructively contribute in advance,

Tim
Tim;
The range is really a snap to replace. Light a burner and then turn the propane off at the tank- that will purge the lines. Once you take the top of the range off, you should see the connection for the gas- standard stuff- it snakes in through the back. When you pull the range forward, the gas line needs to be gentled out the back. As I recall, there are only about 4 screws around the top holding the range into the cabinet and it took very little time to remove.

Use soapy water to check for leaks when you reattach the gas line.

If you've got the room, try to get a replacement 21" oven (most were 17") it makes a big difference in how well the oven bakes.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:14 AM   #1592

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I am one of those guys that read about others having many different problems with their motorhomes............

yikes!
You must have broken a very large mirror or shot a White Buffalo!!!
Old 05-31-2015, 05:35 AM   #1593

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the water heater, bathroom sink & faucets, kwikee step controller and motor, got it perfect then bought THIS unit....already replaced water heater, half the galley floor, bathroom sink & faucets, kwikee step controller & motor but didnt need to do that... a pwr wire was busted back up in the chase but I'd already destroyed the original kwikee motor brushes taking it apart wondering why it wasn't working when directly hooked to 12V .. MY BAD. I also replaced a very small & uncomfortable hideabed with a custom built couch/day bed with LOTS of storage underneath. Had to remove 1/2 of the dining seating but this gave me a couch/day bed that even a long tall human can really SLEEP on! I built a custom ottaman (sp) matched the covering and use it to sit at the dining table AND as a snack table alongside the couch if I'm stretched out watching TV. While I was at it I re-covered the dining seat cushions to match the couch. Now in the middle of rubber coating my roof UGH ...NOT an EZ job, lots of prep, cleaning, caulking, sealing THEN rubber coat and a final top coat. NO, I'm not using motorhome stuff, I'm using the Acrylux rubber roof coat thats been on my house for 15 years with absolutely NO leaking. The more coats, the better.
denforent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #1594

Finally installed my new $35 camera and monitor. PIA running a new cable.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #1595
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
Finally installed my new $35 camera and monitor. PIA running a new cable.
$35? Do you have some info on it or a link to where you bought it?
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:45 PM   #1596

Cut and paste it is on amazon. price is now $39

7 inch TFT LCD Digital Car Rear View Monitor with Waterproof Car Rear View Camera combo
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote