Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #1667

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Do yourself a favor and replace it. I learned the hard way. I bought my coach used, and noticed some cracks on the shroud, did a little patch job. On or first big trip the shroud blew off. Luckily it was on a highway with little traffic, and did not hit any cars. I got very lucky. Replace the other as soon as I found a camping world.
You're probably correct Charlie, but I guess maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. I drilled a 3/16 hole at the tip of two cracks to hopefully stop the running and glued fiberglass cloth over the cracks on the inside of the cover. If it breaks in six other places while I'm re installing it, I'll just throw it to the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	99453  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #1668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
You're probably correct Charlie, but I guess maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. I drilled a 3/16 hole at the tip of two cracks to hopefully stop the running and glued fiberglass cloth over the cracks on the inside of the cover. If it breaks in six other places while I'm re installing it, I'll just throw it to the ground.

Hope it works out for you. It just scared the crap out of me thinking what if someone riding a motorcycle was behind me, or even a car that over compensated and crashed. It's like tires, you will most likely have to replace them anyway and the new ones will most likely out live your ownership of the coach.

Charlie

Old 07-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #1669

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I took it out on its first camping trip!!! Everything worked like it should and we had tons of fun.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #1670

I’m pretty new to this forum so I’m playing catch-up. My RV, a 1994 33’ Class A HR been a work-in-progress since I purchased the tired, ridden-hard and put-up-wet old gurl two years ago. The most recent thing I did was through most of May and the beginning of June (between incessant rainstorms) I replaced my 460 V8 with a factory rebuilt long block assembly. I also installed new exhaust headers and replaced and/or rebuilt a bunch of hard to access components while I still had the radiator removed (water pump, belts, alternator, etc). Hopefully, now I’ll be able to mostly just enjoy my rig for the next few years.
Steve
Old 07-07-2015, 10:54 PM   #1671

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What I DID TODAY ON VINTAGE SAFARI

Started removing old caulking from roof. Recaulked rear cap where meets roof. Took over 3 hours on roof in hot sun just to remove old caulk. Waiting to hear from others if need to always remove all old caulk if no leaks, but caulk over? Lots more caulking needed since caulking is 14 years old. Came down went inside and tried to fiqure out how TV works as rear camera monitor without any AV cables found after removing original heavy TV from over dash. Every time I do one thing find couple more needs to be done. Sounds like you had a lot more productive day than I did, but tomorrow is another day.

2001 Safari Zanzibar
Toad 2011 Honda Pilot
Old 07-08-2015, 05:49 AM   #1672

Thor Owners Club
nstall 3 window awnings yesterday (Tuesday)
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:52 AM   #1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Hope it works out for you. It just scared the crap out of me thinking what if someone riding a motorcycle was behind me, or even a car that over compensated and crashed. It's like tires, you will most likely have to replace them anyway and the new ones will most likely out live your ownership of the coach.

Charlie
The liability issue is a good point.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #1674

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Replaced Bulbs with LED's

Replaced all of the Light Bulbs with LED's and one Light fixture over table.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #1675

Took the original Norcold fridge out cause I got a brand new Frigidaire coming to replace it. Cleaned out at least a dozen wasp and hornet nests. Glued fibreglas insect screen over the vent louvers. And prepared a spot for the 1000w inverter right below the 110v outlet both accessible from the outside. The beer must stay cold.
Abitbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #1676

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dropped the trans pan, fluid and filter today. Leaking pan gasket. Found quite a bit of sludge buildup in the pan. Cleaned, and am letting the trans drain overnight. Will reinstall the pan with a new filter in hopes of nailing down the leak. Typically this is an easy job....however, laying on your back on a small piece of carpet in the middle of a gravel drive while trying to support 4 qts of fluid and a steel pan is rather difficult. Ingenuity reins supreme however, and I only wore a small amount of it at the end of the day.
Grey water drain valve tomorrow!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:32 AM   #1677

DH put the rubber seals around the MaxxAir vertical window vents.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #1678

Just finished a 2 day project of replacing the water pump in my 454. Let me tell you how much fun that was leaning over the engine for 2 days.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #1679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitbig View Post
Cleaned out at least a dozen wasp and hornet nests. Glued fibreglas insect screen over the vent louvers.
A dirt dobber clod in the vent tube of the fridge was the only thing keeping it from working on propane. I did the same with with my vents all over the RV. I found one small wasp nest in the A/C but I don't want to starve the condenser fan of air so I probably won't screen the A/C cover. Maybe just lay a No Pest Strip in there for the season.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #1680

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Whew! Finished the install of the new trans filter, pan gasket, and fluid, and it appears to have done the trick. Knocked out the grey water drain valve seal kit, as well as a new reflective blanket for the rear window. Back in the shed for a week, then loading up for DC, and Colonial Williamsburg!
Miles and smiles!