Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #1807

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spritz I haven't tried that one but the paint is in real bad shape. Every other product Ive tried has just made it turn a pale grey color so this time I used turtlewax heavy oxidation remover and it seemed to make it a little better.Then a good coat of wax. Time will tell.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #1808

Might check into the Zep fix for oxidized finish. Works well on older fiberglass finishes. Much cheaper than paint and easier (prep is critical) to do.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #1809

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have considered doing the zep on the upper section. I'm going to remove all the old cracked faded decals on it and just repaint the basement section. You can see that she was very neglected when I took possession. I will get an updated pic tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	134.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	108944  
Old 10-07-2015, 12:03 AM   #1810

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We got the clearance lights done. looks Great.
I got the stripe painted On the front end. I sprayed a primer and then 4 coats of the paint in light coats. This is the first time I have done it and I used spray cans. Unfortunately I had a few runs and when I was taken the tape off a few spots the paint came off.
I received a few ideas on how too redo those area's. So I will look into those tomorrow. One idea was to use a 1500 or higher wet sand??? Where would one find that type sand paper Manards, HD, Lowels ???? It really looks nice I think being my first time painting something. The colors are a near match also.
After redoing those area's would I want to use a clear coat?
Thanks for any help.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:28 AM   #1811
cwf

Sensar removal

7 hours to get the nuclear, black hole paste to release Baseplate of our Sensar antenna from aluminum roof... I think it has been there since 1999!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	108978  
Old 10-07-2015, 07:02 AM   #1812

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
7 hours to get the nuclear, black hole paste to release Baseplate of our Sensar antenna from aluminum roof... I think it has been there since 1999!

ours looked the same, we redid it also, then there are the air horns (that don't work) there is about 4 inches of calking and heaven knows what else. The previous owner
scrap scrap... in the end you will have done it correctly.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #1813
cwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
ours looked the same, we redid it also, then there are the air horns (that don't work) there is about 4 inches of calking and heaven knows what else. The previous owner
scrap scrap... in the end you will have done it correctly.
Tim
Thanks, Tim! I found out it was Bostic Adhesive!!!!! Good stuff if you want things "stuck"!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #1814

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Pulled the newer water heater from the older vintage unit and swapped it with the older water heater from the new "old" vintage unit.

Need to get some wood to shim the opening up to accommodate the slightly shorter face that newer RV water heaters have over their older counter parts.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #1815

First trip in the Cheiftain

Had a great weekend, and learned a lot about the RV, and what we need to do, or get for future trips.
Trip was about 100 miles each way to Lincoln State Park in Southern Indiana.
I had to buy 2 new house batteries at Walmart before leaving, as I had to put a lot of water in the old ones and that seemed to finish off a pair of terminally ill batteries.
Had to jump the RV before leaving, due to leaving the dual switch on while I was loading, and the fridge being on DC. Took the battery from the PU truck, just in case, but never needed it.
Loaded up the 6 dogs, 4 danes, a boxer, and a terrier, and away we went
Really good trip there, everything ran smooth, except for a time when I topped a hill, at 55-60 and the engine spun up, like something was slipping, and then after a few seconds, it seemed to correct itself, and it happened once on the way back.
I think it may be the torque converter. I will post questions about that issue in the appropriate forum here
Great fun, and so relaxing, we should have been doing this RV stuff a long time ago.
We took notes on what we needed in the future, and any repairs of modifications we need to make

IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:54 AM   #1816

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good news. Your engine did not run away. It was your fan clutch cutting in. Your engine temperature went up enough to engage the fan clutch. Everything is O.K.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #1817

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My unit has the fan clutch and also two electric added in rad fans that come on when I am hauling heavy in the mountains. The fan clutch 'roar' is always a forerunner to the sudden increase in noise coming from under the doghouse. The engine normally operates at about 195 on the dial but when it hits 205 those little darlings cool her right down.
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #1818

Yea, if you did not have that runaway engine RPM bad clutch in standard transmission feel it was just the fan clutch locking up to force suck air through the radiator to keep the eninge temps down.
Sounds like a jet engine kicking in.
If your Revs go up at the same speed, or you,& you slow down check your transmission fluid level.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:01 PM   #1819

Vintage RV Owners Club
* Bought and installed new house batteries from walmart. (2X group 24DC marine deep cycle batteries at $76.58 + $12 deposit each.)

* Bought misc plumbing fittings and replacement flexible heat ducting for the furnace install tomorrow.

* Shut down the hot water thank, drained the water system as best I could by opening the pressure relief vavle on the hot water tank and opening all water taps including the outdoor shower/sprayer which I used as a low point drain (or at least the lowest point I can easily get to)

* shut off the propane and burned off the excess using the range top. then shut down the propane detector.

All of it preparation for replacing my ruined furnace and ducting. My batteries were mostly dead before all of this but I wanted solid batteries for running the furnace. The gas is pretty much self explanatory and the water is because we might need to re-route 2 water pipes when installing the new furnace.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #1820

Curtis in TX
Possum
GA Traveler
THANK YOU, Thank YOU, THANK YOU

What you guys wrote was the best description of what happened, and explains it
I never felt a power loss, which confused me, because I thought I was actually backing off the gas, when it happened, as I was just topping the hill.
And it was really loud, and it did not help that the engine cover was a little loose.
The only time I drove this route in this RV, was in February, the day I bought it, and it was 40 degrees.

Thanks again

IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote