Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:06 PM   #1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by wschaub View Post
* Bought and installed new house batteries from walmart. (2X group 24DC marine deep cycle batteries at $76.58 + $12 deposit each.)
Bought the exact same ones Saturday morning.

IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #1822

Vintage RV Owners Club
HVAC guy came in today and we ripped out the old furnace and ducting, re-routed one water line, salvaged a nice propane fitting with shut off valve from the old furnace, drilled holes in the wall of the coach for the new furnace's intake and exhaust, installed the new furnace and ducting and filled the old holes with foam.

All that's left to be done is to use a fiberglass patching kit to cover over the old holes completely. should get that done tomorrow. Won't look pretty for a while but at least I have a clean fully working furnace to use this winter.

We also installed an extend a stay kit. I posted pictures to the threads I started on the furnace and propane tank.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:28 AM   #1823

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Used the hole saw to cut a nice new hole to put the 100amp Lift gate outlet on the camper for the charging circuit, got the opening shimmed up and flanged over so that the new water heater could be installed in the opening and sealed up.

Disconnected the hand nut for the sink drain and removed the wing nut clamps for the kitchen sink that are harder to reach with the water heater in place in preparation for the beginning of the interior demolition.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #1824

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sealed the old furnace exhaust and intake holes with a fiberglass patch kit and some caulk. it looks like a hot mess but it should seal up the wall. the holes were plugged with thick insulation foam before the fiberglass sheet + resin was put over the top. and the caulking was to cover a seam because one of the holes actually overlapped with the new
furnace hole/vent a bit.

I'm not happy at all with my caulking "skills". I can never get the seals broken correctly so the gun works right (particulalry when I want to re-use some caulk days later) and just gave up and used a screw driver as a spatula and literally scooped it out of the back of the caulk gun and plastered it onto where I wanted it.

any recommendations on how to properly paint over this? it's near the furnace exhaust so I don't want anything that would catch fire. and I know I would need to totally mask off the furnace vent and anything else I don't want sprayed. I'm likely to just leave it as is for a while since this thing is not really very pretty in general on the outside anyway and I'm just trying to get through the winter living in it at the moment. I just want to keep it warm and dry on the inside, eventually make the inside look a lot nicer and then work on the exterior looks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151016_151219.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	109725
Old 10-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #1825

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wschaub View Post
Sealed the old furnace exhaust and intake holes with a fiberglass patch kit and some caulk. it looks like a hot mess but it should seal up the wall. the holes were plugged with thick insulation foam before the fiberglass sheet + resin was put over the top. and the caulking was to cover a seam because one of the holes actually overlapped with the new
furnace hole/vent a bit.

I'm not happy at all with my caulking "skills". I can never get the seals broken correctly so the gun works right (particulalry when I want to re-use some caulk days later) and just gave up and used a screw driver as a spatula and literally scooped it out of the back of the caulk gun and plastered it onto where I wanted it.

any recommendations on how to properly paint over this? it's near the furnace exhaust so I don't want anything that would catch fire. and I know I would need to totally mask off the furnace vent and anything else I don't want sprayed. I'm likely to just leave it as is for a while since this thing is not really very pretty in general on the outside anyway and I'm just trying to get through the winter living in it at the moment. I just want to keep it warm and dry on the inside, eventually make the inside look a lot nicer and then work on the exterior looks.

Attachment 109725
Hello,
Can't help you on the paint but maybe a high temp paint.
For the caulking I take a pretty good size screw and run it in the tube and pull the dry caulk back out. Works pretty good.
Good luck and take some pictures as you proceed.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #1826

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Evening,
Today I dug into removing one of the beds in the rear so I can bring one of my dresser's from the S&B olut to the MH so we have somewhere to store cloths for the winter months in AZ. Currently have 2 small drawers and a small closet. 2 drawers seen in second Picture. I am also going to get some insulated supply lines for the run to the bathroom also seen in second Picture. Also shown is the central vac (works great). Also seen is the rear heater supplied by the heat of the Anti-Freeze from the 454. All the hose clamps were a little lose but tight now.
I am going to paint the walls also (currently wallpapered). I tried to clean them with little success.
So I am at a stand still for tonight.
Tim
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/5.../IMG_04741.jpg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151016_184017.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	109741  
Old 10-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #1827

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Evening,
Today I dug into removing one of the beds in the rear so I can bring one of my dresser's from the S&B olut to the MH so we have somewhere to store cloths for the winter months in AZ. Currently have 2 small drawers and a small closet. 2 drawers seen in second Picture. I am also going to get some insulated supply lines for the run to the bathroom also seen in second Picture. Also shown is the central vac (works great). Also seen is the rear heater supplied by the heat of the Anti-Freeze from the 454. All the hose clamps were a little lose but tight now.
I am going to paint the walls also (currently wallpapered). I tried to clean them with little success.
So I am at a stand still for tonight. I guess there are 3 pictures that show
Tim
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/5.../IMG_04741.jpg

I appolgise I should have removed my undergarments before I took the pictures.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151016_184050.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	109742   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151016_184105.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	109743  

Name:	20151016_184017.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	109744  
Old 10-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #1828
bap

ur tighty whities are nice and white..lol..

sorry tim,,,,i just couldnt help myself..LOL!!!!
Old 10-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #1829

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey bap,
LOL
not a problem, I didn't think about it until I posted. Its the Oxy clean....
Tim
Old 10-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #1830

Worked on the vacuum hose system,

Waiting for the black helicopter, seal team 6 and a flash bang in the face, before being sent to gitmo for touching my RV's engine
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:43 AM   #1831

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Found a roof top A/C Unit that was being parted out off a 97 tahoe fifth wheel for $150 on craigslist, going to check out and if its good, buy it. It'll be probably overkill for our camper, but at least I know it'll cycle on and off.

Given it was meant for a ducted setup originally, I'm figuring the straight down direct discharge will be a nice nogin saver with it being more flush to ceiling.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #1832

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
&
I washed the front curtains from the MH yesterday and they got ruined. I have been washing cloths for 40 years so I kind of have a little knowledge.
It appears the backing melted over 90% on both panels. Washed on warm/cold rinse. A little Oxy Clean and my regular detergent and a bit of Shout but not on the area's where it melted. I dried them on the cloths line outdoors anyhow and rehung them. I am so T'ed off. They look like shxxt. They are only a few years old and cost over $100.00. Hell I never liked them anyhow.
So anybody have any idea's where I can get replacements? Please don't send me to CW that's where I got these.

Off Soap Box.

Pictures to follow, because I don't know how too get them from the Phone Camera too the computer.

Tim
Old 10-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #1833

Gulf Streamers Club
Tim, sorry about the curtains. Wife Rebecca says she is going to replace the front curtains on our rig. We will see. And I send pictures from my IPhone to myself via email, then load on computer. Am told you can also load via cable from phone to computer but I have not done that yet. I am dinosaur stage with smart phone and computer.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #1834

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Tim, depending on your phone it may be a simple as pulling your sim card out and using the card reader on your computer to import the picture files.

(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote