Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:23 PM   #1849

Ford Super Duty Owner
Getting ready to put her to bed for the winter:
- changed the engine oil & filter
- emptied the inside of any vermin-attracting goods
- winterized the plumbing
- began changing the transmission fluid. What a fiasco. Won't bore you with details, but suffice to say it's turned into one of THOSE projects. Waiting on a bypass valve rebuild kit & then hopefully can close that chapter.
- trying to decide whether I'm going to rent some temporary heated inside storage to make roof repairs in the next month or so, or tarp it up good for the winter & tackle the roof in spring.

Thing is, the indoor space will be $350 for a month, but I won't have to worry about weather. I'm sure the project will take longer than I think and with the rig inside I'll have plenty of time to order parts / figure out strategies, etc.

Hmmm.... I could be accused of being a cheap you-know-what, but I also like to do things right. Decisions, decisions...

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #1850

Vintage RV Owners Club
Replaced the Gray & Black Drain valves, don't want to do that again. Taking apart was not bad, putting them back in and keeping the seals in place is an other story. slow and careful.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #1851

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpscotty View Post
Replaced the Gray & Black Drain valves, don't want to do that again. Taking apart was not bad, putting them back in and keeping the seals in place is an other story. slow and careful.
Wouldn't it be great if the TAX we have to pay could be used to hold the seals in place while we insert the bolts.
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #1852

Tried to hook up ground power.

My wife inherited a 1990/91 Fleetwood Southwind from her father in 2007. we used it through 2009 and had to put it into storage. Got it out in 2011 when we bought some property large enough to accommodate parking space for it and our local transportation. In any event I finally got enough capital ahead to run electricity from the residence to the RV.

Now, I can't remember what to do after hooking up the 110 volt/30 Amp service to the coach. I have disconnected (turned off) the batteries; but, I can't locate the meter box and the Owner's manual is absolutely no help. Is there someone out there that can give me a clue? Maybe draw me a picture? The wire from the house tests hot but after plugging the RV cord into it - nothing turns on in the coach. I have looked inside every cupboard, drawer, nook and cranny. Crawled around under and still can't find what I need to provide shore power to the coach.

Any help for this neophyte?

Papasnake37
Old 10-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #1853

Well usually the lights and other accessories inside the coach run on 12 volts. If you have disconnected the batteries, even though plugged in, the 12 volt system likely won't work.

also, there should be a small breaker box facing into the coach (usually mounted on a cabinet or bulkhead). Inside you will see breakers, like on your house. Make sure those are all turned on.

Lastly, many RV's have a plug-in generator instead of an automatic transfer switch. On these you have to pull the plug for 120v and insert the 120v line from the generator. Make sure your generator is unplugged and the city power is plugged in.

Oh, by the way... those batteries have to be able to hold a charge. If they're "doornail dead" you will want to replace them before reconnecting.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #1854

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Check you dash for a switch that reads something about battery disconnect or batteries on/off. In out present unit I accidentally turned it off once (nor knowing its function) and it drove me crazy trying to figure out why my house batteries weren't charging and why the 120 volt system wasn't powering the 12 volt system and lights. YMMV but this may be a possible cause of your light problem.

Found this and you can download your appropriate manual
http://fleetwoodrv.com/partsandservi...90_BOUNDER.pdf

As an aside, how did you get it from storage & to the property if the engine wouldn't start?
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #1855

Did the Zep polish on the front end of the coach to see how it would look and how difficult the application was going to be. It wasn't difficult, and now the front of the coach looks like new. Which makes the rest look less than new. Now I'll have to do the rest. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #1856
cwf

Hy-Tech roof 'Bus Kote' on roof

Here is the before and completed pics of our install of Hy-Tech Ceramic roof coating and insulator.

Roof - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

followed up with full wash then polish with Rejex polish.

During sunny day, 95 degrees, Temp drop inside significant.. One AC maintained temp where previously required 2 AC's...

Interesting, the night time 'temp drop' we experienced was significantly less, too. This is because the 'insulating properties' of the Hy-Tech coating also keeps heat LOSS limited!
Old 10-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #1857

Always wanted the trailer plug on my RV swapped over to the better RV plug. It only had the 1 inch round connector and it was only wired with 4 wires needed for ground, running, turn and stop. For years I've wanted to rewire that plug to a real full functioning RV Trailer plug.

I sometimes pull my motorcycles in a cargo trailer that has electric brakes.
Having working electric trailer brakes and being able to keep the trailers lighting battery charged would be nice to have behind the Old Fleetwood.

Today was that day.

I installed one of those combination outlets that has the Big RV Plug and flat 4 wire plug built in too.

And the added benefit of back up lights wired in for the big trailer. Will be nice to I have lighting on the trailer to back up in the dark.

Now all that's left is running the 12 volt power lead to tie in the trailer battery to the Coach batteries and a brake control lead to the front of the Coach.

Gonna need more wire to do it right.

Will be using a Prodigy for braking control. I use them on two of my tow vehicles and like them for their simplicity.

Been a Good Day Tater!
Old 10-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #1858

Gulf Streamers Club
Curtis, how did you keep dry doing that wiring? It has never stopped raining here all day. Just north of Austin.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:37 AM   #1859

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Curtis,
Glad to see you are still with us, somebody was asking about you over on Total Rebuild, or Gooodmorning threads. Hope that you and Ronspradley are staying dry and that you are not getting flooded out.
Later guys,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:28 AM   #1860

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got one side of the rear sleeping area painted after the game. Great Game too. The Jury's still out on the color, but it only cost $5.00 That's what I keep telling myself. We'll see what it looks like in the daylight.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:17 AM   #1861

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tim,
If the color can't be lived with, then it won't take a whole lot to repaint it to a color that is acceptable.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #1862

I have an 8.1 Workhorse engine, I purchased a new air filter for it but I am not sure the easiest way to replace it Is the air filter most easily accessible from the outside engine compartment or from the engine access in the coach? Thanks for any help