Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Curtis, how did you keep dry doing that wiring? It has never stopped raining here all day. Just north of Austin.

ronspradley

It was easy Ron.
I closed the door to the shop and worked inside.
Plenty of room. But it was a "mud boots on" walk between the house and shop.
It was raining so hard my shop cat wanted me to carry her in under the umbrella. She said to heck with the Pet Door. It's raining! Carry!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #1864

Drove it to Huntington Beach State Park (SC) to watch it rain for a couple of days!

wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #1865

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Tore out the dinette and the wall paneling to investigate the frame condition. Found it to be in good shape, but obvious that at some point in the past it had leaked, but was repaired.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #1866

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Tore out the dinette and the wall paneling to investigate the frame condition. Found it to be in good shape, but obvious that at some point in the past it had leaked, but was repaired.

Can I ask what you will be using to replace the wall paneling?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #1867

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I got one side of the rear sleeping area painted after the game. Great Game too. The Jury's still out on the color, but it only cost $5.00 That's what I keep telling myself. We'll see what it looks like in the daylight.
Tim

Well it isn't to bad I think I can live with it . LOL

C-PHartley
I saw some nice panels at Manards that I would have liked to have used instead of painting and they are light. My wall's are wood panels with a type of wall paper. If I had the time to do before the cold set in I would have used those sheet's. Maybe next spring.
Have you looked at those? They have several different type/style's
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #1868

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
Can I ask what you will be using to replace the wall paneling?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Either just luan, or a thin plywood and then going over it with a hardwood door skin.

The original wall paneling was some of the ugliest stuff I've ever seen from the 70s, and it was already damaged by the last owner doing some frame repairs and the paint job wasn't done well.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #1869

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I added to the supports that were in the area. Just wanted to be sure the dresser don't move while on the road. I'll gane 2 more feet for storage next to the dresser.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #1870

Almost done with a Class C overcab bunk rebuild

I got one step closer to wrapping up an 18 month project reconstructing a badly water-damaged 1977 Ford Chateau Class C. Got the insulation put in and covered the ceiling and front wall with a sheet of white textured PVC paneling. Here are shots from last year of the nasty rotted wood that I found under the bunk deck, a trash can with over 200 pounds of rotted wood I shoveled and cut out of it before removing the outer skin and window, replacing framing that had termites and crumbled in my hands with fresh cedar lumber. I added a new painted aluminum skin and decorated it to suit the 70's vibes inside and out (my neighbors call it the "hippie camper"). The new bunk deck is made of old oak church pew backs from my local architectural recycling center (note the gorgeous bullnose edge on the bunk - that was the top of the pew). The last thing left to do this coming weekend is to cut new side paneling for the window walls in the bunk from birch faced light plywood and install that and replace the inside window trim. Other than that, she is ready to roll, with only 38,000 miles and with all systems in excellent condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rottencamper.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	110535   Click image for larger version

Name:	camperbright1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	110536  

Name:	insulation1.jpg
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	110537   Click image for larger version

Name:	parked camper.jpg
Size:	534.9 KB
ID:	110538  

Old 10-28-2015, 06:14 AM   #1871

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Willowleaf,
Nice job on the rebuild.
Frank
Franka548 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #1872
cwf

'suspenders' (axles)

A little 'upgrade'..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4853.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	110567  
Old 10-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #1873

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowleaf View Post
I got one step closer to wrapping up an 18 month project reconstructing a badly water-damaged 1977 Ford Chateau Class C. Got the insulation put in and covered the ceiling and front wall with a sheet of white textured PVC paneling. Here are shots from last year of the nasty rotted wood that I found under the bunk deck, a trash can with over 200 pounds of rotted wood I shoveled and cut out of it before removing the outer skin and window, replacing framing that had termites and crumbled in my hands with fresh cedar lumber. I added a new painted aluminum skin and decorated it to suit the 70's vibes inside and out (my neighbors call it the "hippie camper"). The new bunk deck is made of old oak church pew backs from my local architectural recycling center (note the gorgeous bullnose edge on the bunk - that was the top of the pew). The last thing left to do this coming weekend is to cut new side paneling for the window walls in the bunk from birch faced light plywood and install that and replace the inside window trim. Other than that, she is ready to roll, with only 38,000 miles and with all systems in excellent condition.
Wow great job, I'm glad I didn't run into that when I opened up the wall's in mine.
does the spare tire in front hinder the air flow to the radiator? I like it in the front. Mine is on the rear.
Great job,
Tim
Old 10-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #1874

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Tim, the first ":C" Denise and i looked at to buy had the tire mounted that way and when my buddy bought it he had no trouble with cooling the engine even when traversing the mountains of BC.
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #1875

The front mount spare stands out a ways from the grille and there is plenty of room for air to flow. I have heard that rear mounts can put stress on the walls and frame, so I am glad it came that way. There is a sturdy steel frame mounted on the rear that came with a large locking plastic storage trunk mounted on plywood that had totally rotted. I replaced the plywood with Trex synthetic deck boards. The trunk is handy for the tank draining hose, gas and oil cans and other nasty stuff you don't want inside the coach. The unit is pretty much original (it came with the original pink slip and ALL maintenance records and warranties for 38 years!). The prior owner had just installed a brand new huge Dometic fridge with separate freezer (cost him $1200), all new tires, a backup camera/screen, satellite and cable TV wiring, a new stereo system and two new deep cycle batteries. He was an engineer and taken a lot of care of it mechanically. I got a good price for it due to the really bad water damage. I posted a series of shots of the tear down and reconstruction over in the "vintage" category on here. Literally, the entire bunk deck was nothing but shredded damp mulch -- completely broken down. there was almost no wood supporting the bunk and all that mess was resting directly on the sheet metal underbelly of the overcab extension. The front upper window had to go -- it literally poured in water in the rain. Looking back at how much work it was (I did it all on my own and I have no driveway or garage) I can't believe it actually came together as well as it did.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:59 AM   #1876

Vintage RV Owners Club
Looked into a used Onan Emerald Plus 4000.