Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:56 PM   #1877

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My spare tire is hung on the rear by a length of I beam and that is welded to the frame and the bumper. Pretty solid.
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 05:30 AM   #1878

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Bought a new generator for it, same brand as the last one, but going from a 1200watt to a 3500 watt generator.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #1879

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Bought a new generator for it, same brand as the last one, but going from a 1200watt to a 3500 watt generator.
If you have the Champion 3500/4000 unit I am sure you will be happy with it. We purchased one for our "C" class that didn't have a generator and it did its job really well. I have a 100 foot 10 gauge contractors extension and being able to power up from a 100 feet away sure was great when in the wilderness. BTW I'm not sure of the authenticity of this advise but it worked for me. At the end of the camp-out I always just turned the gas flow off to let the running motor drain the carburetor to eliminate the need of all the fuel additives we now require for storage. I think you made a good buy.
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #1880

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Cletus View Post
If you have the Champion 3500/4000 unit I am sure you will be happy with it. We purchased one for our "C" class that didn't have a generator and it did its job really well. I have a 100 foot 10 gauge contractors extension and being able to power up from a 100 feet away sure was great when in the wilderness. BTW I'm not sure of the authenticity of this advise but it worked for me. At the end of the camp-out I always just turned the gas flow off to let the running motor drain the carburetor to eliminate the need of all the fuel additives we now require for storage. I think you made a good buy.
It's my second Champy. I have a 1500/1200 watt that served my KIT well, but with the Duo-Therm donor roof A/C, wanting to upgrade to a bigger 3-stage converter, plus needing a backup generator for our fifth wheel kinda sealed it.

I briefly scouted harvesting a built-in off an another RV, but I found nothing but horror stories about Onans, so I decided to go back to what I knew.

The electric start + the wireless startup/shutdown key fob is also nice.

Gonna build a new basket setup for the rear of the truck so that I can either tip up and lock in the generator, or crank it up and down since it'll definitely be a bit heavier than the old 1500.

I also figure on the electric start, if the onboard battery goes bad, if its 12 volt, I'll put a diode isolator (And possibly a voltage regulator of some kind if needed) on the circuit so that I can modify a trailer plug to connect it directly to the truck's onboard deep cycle.

The diode isolator will be to keep the generator from trying to charge the trucks battery, since while I love champy's, I know their battery charge circuit is kinda of crappy.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #1881

new ceiling and wall cladding in vintage Class C

Here are photos of the textured PVC paneling I used to recover the ceiling and front wall of the reconstructed overcab area in my 1977 Class C. I screwed a strip of the PVC slotted molding that is made for the edge of vinyl house siding into the stud behind the remaining original ceiling material, there in front of the skylight. Then I cut the 4' x 8' sheet of PVC down to 90" and slipped it into the molding slot. Once it was snugly in place it was a simple matter to screw it to the other ceiling and wall framing wood (I had marked their location on the side walls so I knew where to screw it). I used 1 1/2" white painted washer head screws spaced at 9" intervals. Since I am still paranoid about possible leaks within the walls, I wanted the panel to be not just waterproof but also readily removable so I can check it periodically and leave it open to dry out if there is dampness again. I have the birch plywood end panels for around the window marked out to cut and install. Those will also be screwed in place so they are removable.

Pulling off all the stapled and glued interior paneling and trim was a real headache. I have been doing all of my reconstruction in a way that will make inspection and replacements easier down the road, including using coated deck screws and stainless steel and brass fasteners that will not rust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling redo 1.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	110789   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling redo 2.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	390.6 KB
ID:	110790  

Name:	ceiling redo 3.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	110791   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling redo 4.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	110792  

Old 10-31-2015, 08:32 PM   #1882

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great work, looks professional.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #1883

plugs, vac lines, and exhaust stuff

Put new spark plugs wires on the Chieftain today.
Got the Air pump ports all welded up on the exhaust manifolds.
That job sucked, would have been easier, and better looking if I had taken the manifolds off first.
Had to change my welders power source to a 220v line, and cut a 120v cord into it to get the power I needed.
If I ever have the manifolds off, I am going to redo the welds.
With all the vac lines and such gone, it starts a lot better, and seems smoother.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #1884

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sucked up tons of Japanese lady beetles (fake ladybugs ) that are swarming like crazy over here in Missouri.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:36 PM   #1885

Vintage RV Owners Club
Got a set of vintage Dodge hubcaps for the truck to help it fit in with the vintage camper on its back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20151020_001.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	111032  
Old 11-02-2015, 11:46 PM   #1886

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Filled her up with Gas went for a 50 mile R/T run for propane still better deal than by the S&B by $40 bucks.
The kicker is a guy walked up to get his 10 gal propane tank filled and says, "so getting the propane filled for your generator" I said no the genny is gas, runs off the rear gas tank, he says really I said yep. So he asks what's the propane for?. I said the furnace, water heater and the fridge. I swear true story. Then he proceeds to tell me he just sold his 2014 RV with 995 miles on it.
Had a smile on my face all the way home.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #1887

Retired Fire Service RVer's
RedNeckExpress,
Those hubcaps look good, will set your unit off nicely.
Tim,
That's a good story.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:02 AM   #1888

Found a used piece of corian at the salvage yard for $40.
Before

After

Before

After
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #1889

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
RedNeckExpress,
Those hubcaps look good, will set your unit off nicely.
Tim,
That's a good story.
Frank
Thanks, they came off a 74 Dodge motorhome that was being parted out in Ellensburg, WA.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #1890

Vintage RV Owners Club
Bought a 120 gallon ASME propane tank from the propane company because it turns out I was leasing an imaginary tank that would likely never become available to be delivered in reality. The propane company considers me not a real customer since I live in a motorhome and were real dicks the whole way through. we had to threaten the entire farm's business that they have had over 1k a year consistently for over 9 years from before they would even consider helping me get a real tank by the end of november...