Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #1891

Happy to hear you'll have it before it gets too cold out there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #1892

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ran some 3 inch pipe down to the sewage lagoon (still legal out in the sticks) and built a primitive dumping station with a hose connection on the end of the pipe which goes down hill about 100 feet to the lagoon.

Even though my holding tank was more than 2/3 full and probably close to entirely full I had to flush it out with water about 3 times before the tank sensor read 100% empty. First time this holding tank has been used in more than 5 years.
wschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #1893

W: I think this is a common problem- I can add a couple items that helped me. After buying a new rig I found the sensors did not go through the holding tank wall and the black water tank has a flush hose which still has to be used (3 fill ups) to make the sensors read correctly. The 76 Class C Chateau is the same (in that I have to flush) but often find a swirling wand used through the toilet is necessary. Then use of a clear elbow with a water hose connection may help as you can see as the crap comes out...you will be surprised at the effluent coming out even after flushing. I use a little laundry detergent and bleach to help keep the tanks clean. Hope this helps.
SafetyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #1894

Added note: At my home in Vaughn MT we have a sewer treatment facility and the local gas station RV dump station requires they keep a log of every use. So although you essentially are dumping to the same place you have to tell what chemicals you plan to dump before releasing same. This was instituted due to high levels of environmentally damaging chemicals being found in the effluent coming from the dump station...so until the wastewater treatment facility sampling shows a problem your setup will probably continue to be acceptable. Depending on how fast the effluent discharges it could be a part of your problem as well. Let us know when a fix is found to your sensor problem.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #1895

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
On a class "C" we had we just bypassed the on board system and installed the https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/products/ and we never had a problem with bad reads again. We are planning to do the same for our present coach as the reads are getting wonky. No connection to the company other than being a satisfied user. There are no inside the tanks sensors with this system.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #1896

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyPhil View Post
Added note: At my home in Vaughn MT we have a sewer treatment facility and the local gas station RV dump station requires they keep a log of every use. So although you essentially are dumping to the same place you have to tell what chemicals you plan to dump before releasing same. This was instituted due to high levels of environmentally damaging chemicals being found in the effluent coming from the dump station...so until the wastewater treatment facility sampling shows a problem your setup will probably continue to be acceptable. Depending on how fast the effluent discharges it could be a part of your problem as well. Let us know when a fix is found to your sensor problem.
There is no wastewater treatment facility up in the mountains away from pretty much everyone and everything. It all goes to a lagoon on the farm that was constructed specifically for that purpose. I plan on not using any chemicals If I can avoid it though since anything harsh will actually hurt the microbial processes that eventually eat up the sewage over time.
wschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #1897

On the '97 Aerbus, I caulked the rear window gasket due to some cracks and also installed new gas lifts on the rear king bed so it will raise for storage access. On my '79 class c Mitchell, I started it up and just sat in it for about 10 minutes listening to the rumble of the 460 exhaust...why?..because I have issues.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:02 AM   #1898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthe70s View Post
On the '97 Aerbus, I caulked the rear window gasket due to some cracks and also installed new gas lifts on the rear king bed so it will raise for storage access. On my '79 class c Mitchell, I started it up and just sat in it for about 10 minutes listening to the rumble of the 460 exhaust...why?..because I have issues.

Issues? You're not the Lone Ranger on that one.

After my gas to giesel engine conversion I built an exhaust vent tube just so I could start mine inside the shop and let it rattle the entire shop for sometimes an hour at a time. The nasty diesel exhaust gets blown out the big tube to the rear of the shop. It looks like a big smake stack sticking out of the roof.

I tell everyone it's to keep the seals in the engine tight and the fuel system working.

But, actually it's so I can listen to my handiwork.

Thinking of putting in rollers for after I get the new 5 speed OD transmission in it.

Yea I've got issues too.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #1899

After listening to my 460 (which does rumble) I placed a rag over the exhaust tip (my way of checking the condition of the valves) and saw the rag suck in. I did a compression test and found a flat #2 cylinder. I pulled the pax side valve cover and saw the rocker arm and nut laying on the head...but worse I saw the valve stem and push rod bent. This and other issues pushed me into a remanufactured engine replacement. The job on my e350 was a learning experience, and not for a novice, but found my photos of the old installation helpful in orientation of bolt on parts. I tell this story because it to evolved from just listening. I too believe your rig talks to you and many problems can be discovered in that way.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #1900

These are both excellent justifications to just listening to the old engine and exhaust.......my wife won't buy either.......but I don't buy her justification for owning 100 shoes and purses!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:10 AM   #1901
cwf

Does this count?

I am replacing axles on our 1999 Airstream...

Here is the link in tinypic.. Several files so I put them there.
http://tinypic.com/a/ztrmv/3
Still need to install the new axles, hope today!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #1902

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyPhil View Post
After listening to my 460 (which does rumble) I placed a rag over the exhaust tip (my way of checking the condition of the valves) and saw the rag suck in. I did a compression test and found a flat #2 cylinder. I pulled the pax side valve cover and saw the rocker arm and nut laying on the head...but worse I saw the valve stem and push rod bent. This and other issues pushed me into a remanufactured engine replacement. The job on my e350 was a learning experience, and not for a novice, but found my photos of the old installation helpful in orientation of bolt on parts. I tell this story because it to evolved from just listening. I too believe your rig talks to you and many problems can be discovered in that way.

I still have my EFI 460 I pulled out if my Coach. It was running fine, just wouldn't haul my toys up the mountains to my satisfaction. (Tim Taylor Disease) Always figured I'll rebuild it and put it in a Rock Climbing Buggy one of these days. Still have the C6 transmission that was behind it too!

It only had 75K miles on it when I yanked it. Maybe some day!

The hankerchief on the exhaust is a lost art to this younger generation.
They don't know how to listen to a machine and understand it's language.

If they can't plug it into a computer, they can't diagnose it to fix it.
But they can play a mean video game with their thumbs.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #1903

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
I still have my EFI 460 I pulled out if my Coach. It was running fine, just wouldn't haul my toys up the mountains to my satisfaction. (Tim Taylor Disease) Always figured I'll rebuild it and put it in a Rock Climbing Buggy one of these days. Still have the C6 transmission that was behind it too!

It only had 75K miles on it when I yanked it. Maybe some day!

The hankerchief on the exhaust is a lost art to this younger generation.
They don't know how to listen to a machine and understand it's language.

If they can't plug it into a computer, they can't diagnose it to fix it.
But they can play a mean video game with their thumbs.
As usual with every caveat there is an example to disprove same but Denise and I camp with a younger couple who have a son that is a great mechanic and a terrific video thumber and one prone to playing with trucks. I have a picture of a load he routinely drives in the wilds around Bella Coola BC. he is also an ardent camper with his tricked out dodge 4 X 4 diesel and camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	logtruck.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	111683  
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #1904

Fixed my converter

My 1988 Holiday Rambler Class C converter is a Parralax 6340UL and it quit charging the batteries. It had 12 volts on the blue wire that sends power to the fuse panel but it wasn't sending voltage to the battery on the red wire. I found the resistor inside the converter was bad. I went to several electric supply stores with no luck. I finally went to Advance Auto parts and got an ignition resistor for an old Dodge car. It looked identical to mine so I put in in and now the converter is charging the batteries.
Zoom45
Zoom45 is offline   Reply With Quote