Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #1905

AKA Cltetus, Is that 2nd Growth timber? Or 3rd?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #1906

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
No idea but I think first. I will ask next time i see Rob but he lives about a 1000 miles from me

(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:43 PM   #1907

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I took my 64 deville into a neighborhood shop. 3rd time to said shop they did work on my 99 concours. The service manger told me that none of there mechanic's new how to work on carbureted engines.

I can hear from the 454 dual exhaust when it's ran long enough to kick it down. On choke 1,000 RPM and kick off choke @ 700 RPM I know because I just installed my New tach and it works,
Changed the oil on the 454 and on the Generator & replaced the air cleaner.
More projects to check off the to go list.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #1908

Vintage RV Owners Club
What is being done to my Vintage RV

I have learned as I have matured, that not what I have done, but let someone else do can save money, time and self esteem. At this time my 1984 Avion is in having all the windows resealed and the rubber trim replaced. After 31 years and some small leaks,felt this would be good preventive maintenance. when I get it back, I can finish winterizing and park it in the new RV Port, that i did not build. Those that can Do, those that can't teach, those that can do nether exam-en. Thanks to all that can. gps
Old 11-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #1909

Vintage RV Owners Club
I do what I can and pay or barter for the stuff that I can't and hopefully learn a thing or two by watching the ones that can when the work is being done.

And sometimes even if it's something I can do but it's a major pain it's still worth it to pay someone else to be frustrated.

I wish I could do both those projects you listed with mine but I don't have the money currently. (just a bit of caulking is all I could afford) I would love to replace all the windows with double pane at the same time as well. but putting a roof over it is probably the 1st thing I do if i can save up enough to have one built.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:47 AM   #1910
cwf

Axles

New axles. 16 years out of originals
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	111806  
Old 11-13-2015, 07:29 AM   #1911

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice cwf, I think that I would have gone with disc brakes while I was at it, I have them on my unit and what a difference over the drums.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:44 AM   #1912

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
New axles. 16 years out of originals
Pardon my ignorance..... Is it common for them to fail ? Why would they need to be changed out?
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #1913

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Added plywood to the bottom of the dining room chairs and a hinge on the front of the bottom cushion to create a small storage area for remotes, cards, and other things that seem to disappear in larger areas. Keystone units have had these for a few years now.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #1914

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also barder, Just the other day I bardered , I'd mow and pick up the leaves & clipping's from the neighbor's yard in exchange he would install my new tach.
Not sure who came out ahead, me or him but I think he did.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #1915
cwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
Pardon my ignorance..... Is it common for them to fail ? Why would they need to be changed out?
Not "ignorance"... You just do not know..

These are "torsion axles". The rubber rods inside a square tube provide rotational support, same as springs on other RVs. The metal in leaf spring will wear out... The rubber in the torsion axles do, too.

Hope this explains.. There are videos on YouTube.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:41 PM   #1916

I finally completed the interior finishes on a total tear down and reconstruction of a heavily water damaged over-cab bunk in a low miles 1977 Chateau Class C on a Ford E350 chassis.

The first shot is what it looked like 18 months ago when I pried off a piece of soggy plywood a prior owner had screwed over the rotting mass of structure below. The front window had been leaking for who knows how long and the original plywood a had decomposed into handfuls of damp mulch and half the framing behind the moldy and warped paneling was rotted away (some even had dead termites in it!) I peeled back and removed the outer skin, tore out and replaced the frame, attached new aluminum skin (eliminating the window) and built a new bunk deck out of recycled oak church pews (the nice bullnose at the bunk edge is a pew back).

Last weekend I put new insulation inside the walls and used a textured white PVC 4' x 8' panel to cover the ceiling and forward wall. I used the j-track molding they make for vinyl siding to fasten it at the edges and hex drive white screws to fasten it to the framing. The end walls are light birch faced underlayment plywood I treated with linseed and tung oil to seal and bring out the grain. The molding at the ceiling line is the peel and stick type sold to place around bathtub rims. The deck is covered with a bound piece of commercial tweed carpet. Nice and clean and cozy up there now.

Pretty happy with how it turned out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	overcab_rot.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	112052   Click image for larger version

Name:	reduced_cabover1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	112053  

Name:	reduced_final_w_rug.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	112054   Click image for larger version

Name:	reduced_w_mattress .jpg
Views:	32
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	112055  

Name:	reduced_motorhome.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	542.7 KB
ID:	112056  
Old 11-16-2015, 12:19 AM   #1917

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowleaf View Post
I finally completed the interior finishes on a total tear down and reconstruction of a heavily water damaged over-cab bunk in a low miles 1977 Chateau Class C on a Ford E350 chassis.

The first shot is what it looked like 18 months ago when I pried off a piece of soggy plywood a prior owner had screwed over the rotting mass of structure below. The front window had been leaking for who knows how long and the original plywood a had decomposed into handfuls of damp mulch and half the framing behind the moldy and warped paneling was rotted away (some even had dead termites in it!) I peeled back and removed the outer skin, tore out and replaced the frame, attached new aluminum skin (eliminating the window) and built a new bunk deck out of recycled oak church pews (the nice bullnose at the bunk edge is a pew back).

Last weekend I put new insulation inside the walls and used a textured white PVC 4' x 8' panel to cover the ceiling and forward wall. I used the j-track molding they make for vinyl siding to fasten it at the edges and hex drive white screws to fasten it to the framing. The end walls are light birch faced underlayment plywood I treated with linseed and tung oil to seal and bring out the grain. The molding at the ceiling line is the peel and stick type sold to place around bathtub rims. The deck is covered with a bound piece of commercial tweed carpet. Nice and clean and cozy up there now.

I would be too. Hot damn that's a fine looking job. Congratulations on your workmanship!
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowleaf View Post

I've owned several vintage RV's from the 70's and leaks are always a problem. Your restoration job looks fantastic. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote