Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #1919

Ford Super Duty Owner
The only thing I see wrong is the" pretty happy" statement. You should be thrilled. Great Job.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 07:52 AM   #1920

Very nice looking. I see you have a 1977 Ford Chateau probably a carburetored 460. I have a 1976 460 Chateau and need to find the vacuum schematic in order to get those hoses going to and from the correct locations. When I pulled the intake manifold I took photos that didn't do as good as expected.
SafetyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #1921

schematic

I have both the Haynes and the Chilton repair manuals for the 1977 Ford E350 and another service manual for Ford trucks in general. I am at work now so I can't look into it at the moment but when I get home I will get them out of the camper and see if there is a schematic I can scan and send for you.

I would recommend buying the repair manuals -- I got them on line for less than $12 each when I first bought the Chateau last year.

One great thing about the Ford E series is that they were the most popular fleet truck chassis for years (and therefor Ford kept the bodies and mechanicals consistent to enable easy fleet maintenance). So parts are still relatively easy to come by compared to other old trucks. The older mechanics I have gone to all say they have worked on these, from school buses and service vans to U-haul trucks, and are very familiar with how to service them. They also all say that the 70's and 80's Ford E series was "the best truck ever built". Mine has only 38,600 miles on it and runs like a champ. Previous owner was an engineer and really went over the engine and mechanical systems in the 2 years he owned it. Gave me a whole box of the original warranties and all service receipts, even the pink slip from 1977!! Just before I bought it he had replaced all 6 tires and both batteries, also added a backup camera and installed a brand new huge Dometic fridge with separate freezer. I got a deal on it ($3500) due to the water damage. I probably have about 150 hours and maybe $600 into it for the rebuild. Only defect at this point is it has heat but no cabin AC (the coach dashborad still works) since I can't recharge with freon. Small matter -- I have rarely used AC when using a trailer or motorhome in the past -- I mostly travel in cooler seasons and am fine with the windows open and fans in warmer conditions. The prior owner just mounted a small house AC unit in the passenger window when he camped, but I doubt I will bother. Might eventually replace the rooftop unit (they run around $600) but am in no rush for that.
Willowleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #1922

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisK59 View Post
AKA Cltetus, Is that 2nd Growth timber? Or 3rd?
According to my neighbour (works the same area and company) yes they are hauling first growth down off that mountain range.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:28 AM   #1923

Thanks, InThe70s! I used a LOT of Eternabond tape to seal up the shell. The first thing I would tell anyone restoring an old Class C is to get rid of the danged front bunk window. Besides being a major source of leaks to the sleeping loft, it just makes it hot up there -- and who wants to sleep with windows on 3 sides of your bed?? I stripped off the whole skin with the window from the seam under the "nose" above the windshield all the way to up below the running lights. Got a sheet of aluminum painted white on both sides for $115 and the supplier cut it to my exact width at their shop. Rolled it and brought it home in the back of my station wagon. I installed it on my own (should have gotten some help, ack!) which led to getting a couple of small kinks in the sheet metal -- that's one reason for the "hippie flower" decals to cover the dings (that blank white wall was begging for decoration anyway). Since I am still an old flower child at heart, the decor was appropriate and matches the 70's vibe on the interior (harvest gold appliances and bath fixtures, orange shag carpet, original yellow flowered wallpaper in the bathroom.) I reupholstered the fold down sofa in a brown, orange, lime green and gold abstract daisy print with a privacy curtain to match for the bunk. All it needs is a lava lamp and some psychedelic posters!
Old 11-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #1924

Winnebago Owners Club
Nice work. The finished product looks great.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #1925

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We tried a new spray sealer from ?m.
No leaks just wanted to try on a seal before it turns into a leak. Will keep a eye on it as its raining now and they are predicting measurable snow fall by the weekend.
I got to get off line and get back to cleaning the interior.
Arizona I'm coming,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #1926

Vintage RV Owners Club
Finally got my 120 gallon ASME propane tank delivered with 100 gallons of propane.

I also bought a gallon of rubber roof sealant coating for some leaks I discovered in the big storm yesterday. (6 inches of rain and heavy winds over 2 days)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151118_094814.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	473.5 KB
ID:	112270
wschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:35 PM   #1927

regarding roof leaks

Keep in mind it won't be enough to just re-seal the roof if you found leaks. You also ought to open the ceiling up where the water came through to dry out the internal structure. By sealing the roof you are just trapping moisture inside which can lead to eventual rot and failure of the wood frame, could even result in having termites in the structure. Take this as advice from somebody who just had to tear down and completely rebuild the entire overcab of a motorhome that previous owners left wet inside the walls and under the roof after rain got in.

I think motorhomes should be built with easily removable ceiling panels (not glued and stapled the way they are now) so that they can be sealed from inside and dried out when such things happen. When I did my rebuild I made the ceiling finishes removable for those reasons.

But then I don't think the manufacturers really care about that kind of durability.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:43 AM   #1928

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would try and get it leveled too.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #1929

I used the recliner, took a nap to make sure it was still working! The one in the motor home of course!!
Old 11-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #1930

SafetyPhil: re your vacuum schematics

SafetyPhil, per your comment earlier this week:

"I have a 1976 460 Chateau and need to find the vacuum schematic in order to get those hoses going to and from the correct locations. When I pulled the intake manifold I took photos that didn't do as good as expected."

I checked my Chilton manual for the 1961 to 1988 Ford E series vans and there are a whole bunch of different vacuum schematics (8 pages of them in fact). If you can tell me which engine is in your Chateau I can scan the right one and post it for you. Or check your local library for the Chilton manual. The Haynes service manual I have does NOT have these schematics. Chilton manuals seem to have more information like this than the Haynes versions.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The only thing I see wrong is the" pretty happy" statement. You should be thrilled. Great Job.
Willowleaf: I have the Ford gasoline 460 CI 4BBL carburetored V8. The carb is a spread bore without the power valve similar to a quadrant. I found this out on another rig that backfired during switching fuel tanks causing the power valve to fail. At any rate thanks for the help. Phil
SafetyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:17 PM   #1932

diagrams

Does this diagram title sound like what you need?

Vacuum diagram - managed Thermactor air system, 8-460 (7.5L) EFI engine

There are also separate diagrams for the EGR and Thermactor MTA systems.