Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:48 PM   #2213

Changed the oil on the Chieftain, all 8 quarts.
checked the fluids
Did a big cleanup, ordered a new AC compressor for the dash.
cleaned the water tanks.
Order some invection hot plates/
Prepping to pull out the stove
Bought a new battery for the chassis at Wal-mart for 48.88.

I had planned to do a big cleanup, and tuneup on the onan generator, but after exercising it a lot over the winter, it is running perfect, for some miraculous reason,
Last year it had a lot of issues, and would not run continuously, and steady.
I assumed it was due to setting too much, and never being run.
I have left it running hours this past couple months, and it is doing great. I am afraid to touch it now

IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #2214

Retired Fire Service RVer's
hpbcrillo,
You have done a fine job remodeling, and now you have something that you can be very proud of. I hope that you have many enjoyable trips with her for many years to come.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #2215

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpbcrillo View Post
Thank you all for the very kind comments. We love how it has turned out so far.
Plan to flush and test the water systems tomorrow for leaks, and try the water heater for the first time. Fingers crossed!
I always used air to test water system. It keeps you from having a big wet mess if there are leaks. When you get through, leave the system pressurized and let set for about 20 minutes and you will know if you have any tiny leaks. Use the water regulator. It will work on air as well as it does on water.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #2216

Well, good and bad report. Good news....the refrigerator works on propane as well as elect, the freezer is down to 10 degrees f. after a couple hours, but the fridge is only down to 43 degrees at the top, moved the thermometer to the bottom to see if it is colder down there.
Also good news...the water heater works! Propane, but gets the 6 gallons hot pretty quickly.
Filled the water tank about 1/4 full and no leaks, and the water pump works great also. Then I hooked the water hose from the house with pressure reducer and filter directly to the correct inlet, and it works great bypassing the water holding tank.
More good news...the new shower head and line work awesome.....seems like great water pressure, even though I know it is not that high. I forget the brand, but it is highly recommended as a replacement for rv's.
Bad news....a couple small leaks at the water lines inside. It is leaking at the substitute clamps.... will have to put on the proper 'crimp type' clamps. But overall, much more good news than bad.
hpbcrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #2217

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A little 12v computer cse fan wired into the light switch latch or a battery powered RV fridge fan will help a lot...point it at the "fins" inside fridge.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #2218

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
A little 12v computer cse fan wired into the light switch latch or a battery powered RV fridge fan will help a lot...point it at the "fins" inside fridge.
Thank you! I just checked again and the freezer is now down to 0 degrees f, and the bottom of the fridge is at 39 degrees, so it is working.
Does the freezer really need to get that cold?
There is a 'climate control' switch inside the fridge, either on or off. Does anyone know what this is for? I don't see any other temperature controls for it.
Thanks for your help!
hpbcrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #2219

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpbcrillo View Post
Thank you! I just checked again and the freezer is now down to 0 degrees f, and the bottom of the fridge is at 39 degrees, so it is working.
Does the freezer really need to get that cold?

Old Toolmaker says: Don't you like hard ice cream? The difference in temperature is built into the refrigerator.

There is a 'climate control' switch inside the fridge, either on or off. Does anyone know what this is for? I don't see any other temperature controls for it.

Old Toolmaker says: When you're on shore power, that switch turns on a heater around the door gasket to prevent the humidity from condensing on the cooler metal.

Thanks for your help!
You're welcome!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #2220

Your dong the right thing Jerry, I was told to start and run the Generator at a minimum of once a month for an hour. The worst thing is for them to sit. I also added an in line fuel filter separate from all others and that has help immensely. I did not read this anywhere but after I run the Gen for a few minutes and then I also kick on all roof A/C's / Heater / Water and just about any other system and run for the remaining hour as I have found condensation and rust are killers!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #2221

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbferg3 View Post
Your dong the right thing Jerry, I was told to start and run the Generator at a minimum of once a month for an hour. The worst thing is for them to sit. I also added an in line fuel filter separate from all others and that has help immensely. I did not read this anywhere but after I run the Gen for a few minutes and then I also kick on all roof A/C's / Heater / Water and just about any other system and run for the remaining hour as I have found condensation and rust are killers!

Thanks for the advice on the addition of a fuel filter. I do run it under load, now that it will run indefinitely
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #2222

I was hesitant about the generator in my coach prior to purchase, it had just about 2000 hours on it. But after doing some research, found that those hours are not so relevant on the diesel genset and in fact worked out to around 150 hours a year, again, not a huge deal for an oil burner. We ran it all night when boondocking on our last trip and it never missed a beat.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #2223

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
I was hesitant about the generator in my coach prior to purchase, it had just about 2000 hours on it. But after doing some research, found that those hours are not so relevant on the diesel genset and in fact worked out to around 150 hours a year, again, not a huge deal for an oil burner. We ran it all night when boondocking on our last trip and it never missed a beat.
Having a BlueBird (built like a tank) I hang around with a lot of other BlueBirds that are 30-35 yrs old (the coach's!). I have never, ever, ever seen a worn out diesel generator (the engine part). I've seen plenty of gen heads end up getting replaced after 20-30yrs of use, but I've never seen a generator's engine wear out. FYI I'm talking about 8-12kw diesel gensets in the bigger rv's.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #2224

Winnebago Owners Club
Put the two new coach batteries and the old chassis battery in today. Friday it will be de-winterized and then I can start loading up/installing everything I bought for it over the winter. Bring on the camping season!!!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #2225

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Tore one of the wings out that was completely rotten to replace with fresh plywood .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #2226

Went to routine start the generator and found both house batteries drained. Disconnected the + cable and using the trusty VOM found short to ground. Fortunately problem was a bad battery mode solenoid. Now to go argue with the parts store people about what I need.

Abitbig is offline   Reply With Quote