Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #2227

Filled up the water tank and added calcium hypoclorite (1 tsp. per 40 gallons) to disinfect and sanitize it. Ran it through all water lines, and will drain and flush it out tonight. Was going to use bleach but found that this is much better and does not require as much flushing before use. Smells good now. Also sealed up a couple small gaps with steel wool, on the bottom of the body where wires enter, etc. gotta keep the critters out.
Adjusted the sliding metal part on the refrigerator fins that makes it colder/warmer, hopefully will stay cool enough to keep food from spoiling. glad I got those fridge/freezer thermometers with safe/danger temps marked in diff. colors. Heading out for 3 night work trip on Sunday, got a lot more little things to take care of before then!
Calcium Hypochlorite

Copyright SurvivalTopics.com Read more at: Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water

hpbcrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 02:30 AM   #2228

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Finished installing new structural framing in the front passenger side corner so that there's something substantial to anchor the jack bracket into (Unit was originally designed for corner jacks, so been having to beef up the framing, last owner just bolted into it and called it good).

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:07 AM   #2229
bap

well yesterday started cleaning off the old trim for the scotty and removed the 50 plus year old tile from the metzendorf--pics on the goodmorning thread,,,having my last cup of coffee now and heading back outside to put the scotty,s side back on after installing new wood then start sanding and prepping for exterior paint then rebuilding the interior,,fun part is not to far off,,,,ahhh heck this is all fun....lol
...jeff
Old 05-13-2016, 07:24 AM   #2230

Winnebago Owners Club
Working on the 5er generator. Been sitting for a while so does not want to run. Have been applying liberal doses of 4C and it is slowly improving. Should have it running by end of day.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #2231

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Bought a new 42 gallon fresh tank to replace the tiny one it came with.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:45 PM   #2232

Well................the plumbing repair project was hit and miss. The leaking line going into the water heater was not too bad to fix. got a new crimper and some 3/8" pex crimp rings. And now it leaks there no more.
But the leak in the hot water line under the bathroom sink is still leaking. Seems the 'tee' is cracked, so I have to go get another 'tee' and a couple straight fittings to finish it up.
More good news, got my propane tank partially filled at the rv center. It was showing empty on the gauge on the tank, and full on the gauge on the dash. I have been running the appliances lately testing them all, and hoped that the tank really was full. NO. They put in 25 gallons at $3 per, and the gauge on the tank went from 'empty' to about 1/3 full. The lady commented that it has a really large tank...not sure how many gallons it holds. 50? 75?
Also used the dump station there, no problems or issues, so I am getting ready to use it and test everything for 3 days next week.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #2233

Winnebago Owners Club
Some coaches have very large tanks. The fellow next to us in Yuma has the propane company come by once a winter to fill his tank. I think the convenience of a large tank is great is you are staying for a while in one spot.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #2234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I think the convenience of a large tank is great is you are staying for a while in one spot.
Yep, the large tank will be nice, will wait for lower prices on propane and then fill it all the way up.

FINALLY got the waterlines repaired. a few more plumbing pieces and pex crimp rings and it is all tight now......
Getting ready to finish up some minor 'final touches' inside before my trip next week, hope it all goes smooth!
Old 05-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #2235

I replaced the water pump today after almost 30 years the original one finely quit.
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #2236

I installed led strip lights around the back bedroom and it is nice and bright now, my wife loves it.
Put 25 gallons of gas in it yesterday which filled it up a little over halfway on the gauge...but today it reads 'full' on the gauge...not sure what is going on but I don't like it. Turned on the fridge on electric to get it cold for tomorrow. Heading out Sunday afternoon for a 3 day work trip. Will report back on successes or not.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #2237

Removed all of the original vinyl graphics

Used the 3m LASR wheel. Actually it took two wheels and about 6 hours to remove the vinyl. I still have some adhesive removal left to do.

My graphics were pretty hard and sun beaten .

Before buying a LASR wheel I tried a heat gun and plastic razor blades and after an hour all I had was an area about the size of a playing card done.

The Large Area Stripe tool impressed me with how quickly it removed the old stripes.

Now I have to figure out whether to go with paint or vinyl, the ghosting is pretty distinct. All the years outside in Louisiana/Florida really baked them on.

These are from week before I finished removing the last of the large graphics and the upper ones.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #2238

Winnebago Owners Club
Changed almost all the interior bulbs to LED bulbs. Changed the oil and installed the Fumoto oil valve. Installed 2 new smoke detectors, 1 LP and 1 carbon monoxide detector. Also installed the outdoor step covers. Cold and rainy today so a day of rest. Back to it again tomorrow...

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #2239

new bedroom tv, and coax cable, hung the last new shade at the rear window, replacing the old wallpaper paneling on the inside wall with some nice real oak paneling. Saturday taking it in for paint, can't wait for the weather anymore
Old 05-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #2240

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpbcrillo View Post
Filled up the water tank and added calcium hypoclorite (1 tsp. per 40 gallons) to disinfect and sanitize it. Ran it through all water lines, and will drain and flush it out tonight. Was going to use bleach but found that this is much better and does not require as much flushing before use. Smells good now. Also sealed up a couple small gaps with steel wool, on the bottom of the body where wires enter, etc. gotta keep the critters out.
Adjusted the sliding metal part on the refrigerator fins that makes it colder/warmer, hopefully will stay cool enough to keep food from spoiling. glad I got those fridge/freezer thermometers with safe/danger temps marked in diff. colors. Heading out for 3 night work trip on Sunday, got a lot more little things to take care of before then!
Calcium Hypochlorite

Copyright SurvivalTopics.com Read more at: Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water
keeping critters out, I tore out the a bedroom wall to run a new coax cable and to add a piece of plywood in between the studs for a tv mount when I discovered the plumbing vent running through the floor with plenty of room for mice to come and go and, evidence of it. Plugged with great stuff