Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #2367

On our '84 Prowler I found the old perverbial water damage in rear corner of shower stall. Didn't look too bad as it was only a discoloration on small area of panel corner.

Tore off outside corner metal weather strip and cleaned off old gasket material, recaulked and added new roll-out gasket material to the corner. Replaced all the old rusted out screws and sealed them with white silicone to keep water from penetrating.

What wood I found, seemed to not be rotted which was good. The next fix will be in replacing (some or all) of the shower paneling. Will be seeking my Brother-n-Law's opinion and option(s) to approach with panel repairs, as he's done camper repairs/rebuilds a lot longer than I have.

After finishing the corner weather strip, I also tackled the rear tail lights since I was already back there and removed them from camper to put weather stripping around any wire/screw holes to keep out any moistures as a precaution.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #2368

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I am hoping it will turn out better, First time working with Fiberglass.

Tim
Spritz, I worked with a guy who was a fiberglass man on a race team who did body repairs after crashes. He told me, when I was fixing my boat - you must use cloth when repairing anything more than an 1/8" hole or it's likely crack later on.Grindout even the smallest cracks deep enough to put a layer of cloth in there. Obviously you'll be buying some cloth. Be liberal with the activator. The other thing he said was not to try do the repair all at once. With my boat repair , I mixed some paint in with the resin on the final coats. Good luck !
Chris Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #2369

Winnebago Owners Club
Last week, I had a new front A/C installed (Coleman 15K), so we spent a week at the local CG to try it out. While I was at the dealer, I had picked up another one of the pull straps that you use to lower a manual awning. No particular reason, but they were in the bargain bin for $2 and I figured why not. Sure enough, when we got to the CG and I started pulling down the awning - guess what broke? I felt like a genius having a new one on hand (too bad nobody else was around to appreciate it).

I also found out that Goo Gone works great on carpeting. The original owner of our RV had put plastic sheeting down on all the carpeting and used tape to hold it in place, then put carpet runners over that. While it was nice finding virgin carpeting in a 22 y/o RV, the tape residue attracted dirt like crazy. Goo Gone cleaned it right up and no residue.

Now I just have to find a way to hide the fact that the new AC faceplate is about 4 inches shorter than the old one and I have to cover the void in the ceiling upholstery that is now visible (Coleman doesn't make trim). I'm thinking a piece of vinyl plank floor tile cut to shape, but I'm open to other ideas.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #2370

JaycoEagle10: I've done extensive water damage restoration to a 1977 Elkhart Traveler motorhome including ceiling and shower stall paneling. I buy the 8' x 4' white PVC panels from Lowe's (around $30 each) which are easily cut to size with a strong pair of scissors. To mount the material, I use the edge trim for vinyl siding, also available at building material stores: Cellwood 1-1/2 in. White Vinyl Finish Trim-VFT04H - The Home Depot

Use flathead screws to mount the edge strip to wooden framing and then the PVC panel will slip snugly into the slot under the flange. For a shower wall, run a bead of silicone or latex caulk along the other edge of the panel before screwing the next length of flange trim flush to that edge for the next section of panel. This panel and flange method creates a very clean, durable and finished look with simple tools. It has an additional advantage of being removable for future inspections and/or repairs. .

The PVC panels are reversible, with a smooth side (which I used for the shower walls) and a pebble-textured side (which I used for replacing the water damaged ceilings in the unit.)
Willowleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:49 PM   #2371

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi there.Where did you get the fridge? And what year is your rig? We need a new fridge for our 88 Jamboree.
jaydar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:41 PM   #2372

Well we replaced 3 bin lock handles, if went stock been 49.99 +12 bux shipping. Picked up some locking gararage door handles for about 8 bux each at home Depot. .. didn't want to be stuck for week or more waiting for them
Lonesome54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #2373

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Here is vintage, will be 25 years old next year is a 1992 American Eagle.

My husband plans to make a repair at the bottom front that was scraped before we bought it and paint the front and cap at the top. We need to touch up a bit here and there and put new tape on. Overall paint is good otherwise. It has been undercover ever since we have had it and we redid the roof and everything up there except the fridge vent is new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1095.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	136520  
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #2374

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The front had a black panel in the middle and I thought it was supposed to be that way so taped off and repainted black, he said nope blue or gray like the rest so that is part of it. Also attach the top of the bumper better where the genny pulls out.

I taped off and spray painted all the bay handles, need to do the same for the bay in front of the radiator, black paint is chipping off, will be a tedious job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1099.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	136521  
Old 08-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #2375

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You can't miss us if you see us going down the road, not to many has painted backs anymore, likely a fad for awhile.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Before waxing 002.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	136523  
Old 08-21-2016, 05:06 AM   #2376

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
^ ^ ^ ^ Nice Motor Home,
Even though it was raining I washed the windows inside and out and took the screens out and washed them, they are Black again. Scrubbed the Stainless steel sinks in the MH man what a pain.
That was yesterday, wonder what too do today. Flea Market this AM If not going to rain again.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #2377

Well, went to town and got some wall panels for the repairs I need to do. Ripped off the back wall panel of shower in RV to replace it due to the water stain and mold rot. Wood 2x2 studs looked good/dry on the framework. Only need to replace 1 small back wall with a panel and either staple or use some short lathe screws to cinch walls to the studs that previous owner didn't do when they remodeled interior before we got it.

Willowleaf, thanks for the info. I had done some research for my local home improvement and I chose (I'm guessing) the same 4x8 vinyl wall panels. pebble/sand grainy surface on one side and smooth on back, in white to keep things clean and fresh. $39.99 a panel X 2 to make sure I had enough. Yes, they do look to be shapeable by heavy duty scissors. They're only .90 thickness compared to 1/8 laminate wood and very pliable for easy working to fit with tight joints. Can take cold and heat well.

I also got some white corner, top edge and end strips to get nice finished edges. They were less than $3.00 each, but looked well worth it.

Got some pictures of tear out, so when I get finished I'll show pics of before/after.

Brother-n-law is helping
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #2378

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1993 fleetwood coronado

Today I put in a new magnetic door switch for the Kwikee steps.I bought the wrong switch a few weeks ago and it was just the opposite switching of what I needed.I recently had new A arms and ball joints installed.Also wheel bearings packed and front end lined up. God help us all.After getting it home and $1500 dollars later I decided to get a good look underneath and see the work done.nonono:One of the bushings which required 190 ft. lbs of torque was almost falling off.So $50 bucks worth of tool purchases and 7 or 8 hours of checking all the torque on the work done I am surprised i even made it home.Half of some very critical parts were no where even close to being tight. Now I will have to get her out and see how she drives.I had the work done at a place in the thumb of Michigan.Never again.Happy trails.
bidderwins19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #2379

Vintage RV Owners Club
i installed the speedometer drive units on back of the Allison ,,the little cable the joined the gear to the adapter broke and previous owner tryed to JB Weld it..and wrecked both pieces. so located the internal drive from a place in California who rebuilds Allsions and found a guy near here in Stony Plain Alberta who rebuilds the speedo adapters. installed them today.jacked up one side of diff and started it up. speedo works fine. thats about no 3 outta 25 i need to fix on the ole girl.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	speedo drive side view.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	137167  
Old 08-25-2016, 09:13 PM   #2380

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
The front had a black panel in the middle and I thought it was supposed to be that way so taped off and repainted black, he said nope blue or gray like the rest so that is part of it. Also attach the top of the bumper better where the genny pulls out.

I taped off and spray painted all the bay handles, need to do the same for the bay in front of the radiator, black paint is chipping off, will be a tedious job.
Looked at a 2004 American Eagle today really nice and had 3 slides.
I installed my .83 cent faucet this afternoon no leaks.a Plus.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160825_212132.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	137168  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote